There are 92 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Could Crabtree be looking for Mike Williams money next year?

Originally posted by jvangeystel:
I don't see how Crabtree's original holdout proves he prefers money over chemistry. He was a rookie during his original holdout and therefore didn't have chemistry with anybody on the team including the coaches. I just think that he came out of college with a big head which i'm sure he still has, but he must have been humbled by the fact that he hasn't taken the league by storm and even with his year last year has still only accomplished pretty mediocre numbers. I would take Victor Cruz over every guy you mentioned above and he make less then all of them. It's just not so clear cut, not to mention Crabtree is coming off a major injury. He may be forced to resign with the 49ers just to prove he can still be a playmaker.

I am glad you mentioned Victor Cruz cos I like him too. But, the fact of the matter is he definitely wanted more than what he is on now which is a bit over $7 mil a year. The problem was when he tested the market, there wasn't any response. In my opinion, he was probably looking at that $10 mil mark as well and I think he is worth that. So, yes you could argue there might not be much demand for Crab too. But, my stance is with GNielsen in the sense that if there so happen be a demand for Crab, he will be gone. Being forced to sign with the 9ers is an entirely different matter because it will be due to lack of choice or option. Demand and supply in the market place is a funny old game cos sometimes is not really just about how good the receiver is, a lot will hinge on how desperate or aggressive the teams in question are. If Jeff Ireland's contract talk wasn't looming, may be the Dolphins wouldn't have spent $12 mil on Mike Wallace too.
Agree/wGNielsen - Also, the Bills threw 100M for one player and there will always be someone who'll do something unpredictable.

I wouldn't blame Crabbs for getting as much $ as he can BUT I don't see us being the one to do it.

If he leaves Jerry Jones will be in the mix.
Also, I want to say that if a Jerry Jones or someone steps up and offers Crabtree a 10 or $11 million a year contract, I don't blame him at all for taking it. At the same time, I have seen so many players leave for marginally more money when they still would have been multi-millionaires with what the team was offering them and in the process of leaving, gave up the chance at more rings.

Rickey Watters is the best example. If he stays with the Niners, they probably win at least one more championship, he has multiple rings and a chance at the Hall. Instead, he takes marginally more money and he's an afterthought with no chance of getting within shouting distance of the Hall. What would he rather have today? Marginally more money or the rings? Since he would have been a multimillionaire anyway, I'm guessing the rings.
  • Amir
  • Veteran
i'd rather let him go than give him 10+ a year.
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers signed WR Mike Williams to a six year deal worth $40 million. His number last year were very comparable to Michael Crabtree's. Just don't see the Niners having the cap space to make this deal happen. Thoughts?

Crabtree should get around Victor Cruz type Money. I'm fine with a contract like that.
Originally posted by Amir:

Didn't know u were paying him
  • Amir
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BMoore56:
Originally posted by Amir:

Didn't know u were paying him

Originally posted by GNielsen:
Also, I want to say that if a Jerry Jones or someone steps up and offers Crabtree a 10 or $11 million a year contract, I don't blame him at all for taking it. At the same time, I have seen so many players leave for marginally more money when they still would have been multi-millionaires with what the team was offering them and in the process of leaving, gave up the chance at more rings.

Rickey Watters is the best example. If he stays with the Niners, they probably win at least one more championship, he has multiple rings and a chance at the Hall. Instead, he takes marginally more money and he's an afterthought with no chance of getting within shouting distance of the Hall. What would he rather have today? Marginally more money or the rings? Since he would have been a multimillionaire anyway, I'm guessing the rings.

Well, that depends on what you mean by "marginal". $1 mil ? $2 mil ? It also depends on the size of your base, if you are talking about say $2 mil off a $20 mil a year contract, then may be is marginal, but $2 mil off a $10 mil a year deal is pretty substantial.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Well, that depends on what you mean by "marginal". $1 mil ? $2 mil ? It also depends on the size of your base, if you are talking about say $2 mil off a $20 mil a year contract, then may be is marginal, but $2 mil off a $10 mil a year deal is pretty substantial.

All I'm saying is that if you have two pro NFL athletes with decently long careers who have managed their finances decently, they'll both be multi-millionaires at the end of their playing years. One might be worth $25 mil and another might be worth $20 mil. My guess is that for most guys, they'd rather have the championships than the extra $5 mil at that point because they've got all they need and more. It's just a guess.
He's going to be a pretty good risk to any team throwing big bucks at him now. He's not going to have enough games under his belt to prove that he came back all the way from the injury. Who else will be available next year?

for who? for what??
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
for who? for what??

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he said that while playing for the Eagles, so you can kind of understand because it's fricking Philly. If he says that while on the Niners, Bryant Young probably would have cold-cocked him.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
for who? for what??

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he said that while playing for the Eagles, so you can kind of understand because it's fricking Philly. If he says that while on the Niners, Bryant Young probably would have cold-cocked him.

lol yeah he did say it while in philly. but it does kinda show his true colors at that stage in his life, i dont think he was concerned with winning rings
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers signed WR Mike Williams to a six year deal worth $40 million. His number last year were very comparable to Michael Crabtree's. Just don't see the Niners having the cap space to make this deal happen. Thoughts?

If the active crop of WRs (especially the younger WRs) catch on with Kap as good as the Kap/Crabs combo . . . . . Crabtree will have to look elsewhere for that kind of money.
How long do you think Boldin stays with the team? This year only or do we re-sign him?

Especially if he is the main one to step up in Crabs' absence. Does Boldin's longevity factor into our decision?

I like Crabtree, I would like to see us keep him (for the right price for the team of course)
[ Edited by ninermedic on Jul 28, 2013 at 4:14 AM ]
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home