LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

2013 NFC Threats

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Below are in order the teams I perceive as real threats to us to win the NFC and return to the superbowl (mind you, i think the road will be much tougher)

1. Seattle Seahawks: russell wilson is a stud qb and they have added percy harvin to bolster the passing game. their run game is extremely strong with beast mode...this team has a lot of players who we would characterize as "ascending" and thus they will challenge us the most of any team..and it doesn't hurt one bit that they have the best home field advantage in football so if they wrestle the division away from us then we will have to go to seattle and that is no easy task in the playoffs

2. atlanta falcons: they added steven jackson. any nfc west teams fan knows that sjax is an absolute stud and was a huge addition for the falcons. they have now got a run game they can grind and dominate with to go along w/ julio jones and roddy white and tony gonzo. this team was extremely close to beating us in the nfc champ game last yr and i think they got better

3. new york giants: i think the giants fell of a bit last year due to superbowl hangover, they will be back stronger and younger and they have continued to give us trouble every time we have played them..they match up great with us and are real threats.

4. new orleans saints: sean payton is back and that means the saints will be contenders again with drew brees at the helm

5. washington redskins: this team has rg3 and a dominant ground attack, they will be a tough match up for us...

6. green bay packers: aaron rodgers is always deadly and thus u can't count out the packers

basically new orleans and the giants will kind of return to being superbowl contenders in the nfc and seattle and atlanta are better so this is is going to be a very very tough road to get back to the superbowl
I would also add the Bucs into the conversation at the very least. They had the top rush defense last season and completely revamped that secondary. That along with getting healthy on that d-line should make them contenders. Hopefully they knock Atlanta and New Orleans down a peg so neither of those two dome teams get home field advantage.
We will get the top seed because of our favorable schedule as far as who we play at home and on the road. SEA has a tougher schedule, ATL has no defense, NYG have no defense for Kaep because they can't crowd the LOS knowing the QB can't threaten downfield anymore, NO has no defense, WAS won't do it, and GB has to win here week 1 or their ego will be crushed. All of those teams are threats to us but I like our chances even with Crabtree out and even though all of those teams aside from WAS have spent hour upon hour trying to find ways to beat us
I think Dallas will actually make some noise this year... until the playoffs of course, but I see them winning the NFC East.

Threats:
  1. SEA
  2. GB
  3. ATL
  4. DAL
  5. WAS
  6. NO
  7. CAR
  8. STL
Originally posted by NinerG94:
I would also add the Bucs into the conversation at the very least. They had the top rush defense last season and completely revamped that secondary. That along with getting healthy on that d-line should make them contenders. Hopefully they knock Atlanta and New Orleans down a peg so neither of those two dome teams get home field advantage.

i thoguht about the bucs but they don't have a qb.

you need a qb in my opinion to be a threat to us
Only threat to the 49ers are the 49ers.
Originally posted by iLL49er:
i thoguht about the bucs but they don't have a qb.

you need a qb in my opinion to be a threat to us

Well neither do the Rams or Vikings and both teams were a threat to us last season. I agree with you that you need that elite qb in the end to compete for the superbowl but QB or not they have legit running attacks and legit defenses. Those are the teams that match up well against us so they could be a threat.
Bucs has a strong run game, nothing else, which is exactly why I'm not sweating it right now. Until we've visibly improved on our secondary, I'm really only nervous about playing against strong passers. I'm especially nervous about the Hawks and the Packers.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Only threat to the 49ers are the 49ers.

more like this

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
more like this

Blind and mute. That's a depressing combination.

The Niners don't play the Giants this year. The Seahawks have to play the Giants in New Jersey, so that will be a challenge for them. I think the biggest threats in order are Seahawks, Falcons, New Orleans and Redskins with the Rams not far behind. I don't think the Packers can stop the Niners offense and I don't think the Pack have as good an offense as they did last year.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I think Dallas will actually make some noise this year... until the playoffs of course, but I see them winning the NFC East.

Threats:
  1. SEA
  2. GB
  3. ATL
  4. DAL
  5. WAS
  6. NO
  7. CAR
  8. STL

why? They've been mediocre under Jason Garrett and Romo always chokes under pressure.
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Threats:
  1. SEA
  2. GB
  3. ATL
  4. DAL
  5. WAS
  6. NO
  7. CAR
  8. STL

why? They've been mediocre under Jason Garrett and Romo always chokes under pressure.

Their defense isn't great, but Romo has actually had pretty impressive seasons, albeit not during crunch time... And their combo of skill position players is near the top in the league. I guess I wouldn't be surprised if they won 10 games.
About half a dozen teams who are on equal ground is probably a good approximation. Who would be happy if we are 3-2 after five games? I wouldn't be happy but I can live with that.
1) SEA
2) GB
3) ATL
4) NO
5) NYG
6) WAS
Share 49ersWebzone