There are 171 users in the forums

Whos the KR/PR for the 2013 season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
As long as Williams isn't back there, I can live with LMJ or Cox.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
KR, absolutely.

PR, absolutely not.
why. tell me how many times he messed up punt returns last year before he got hurt? please people

James...have you actually watched him the past two preaseasons actually try to field punts? Dude's a circus.

He is a circus indeed.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
really mayo. you are ok with james back there doing punts?? you do walk on the wild side bud
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I agree with Hawkins and Cox.

In five years in the league Hawkins has not proven to be better than James.

He just has not, unless you are willing to say that two returns in preseason games somehow eradicates his previous 14 kick returns. .

The long preseason kick return by Hawkins looked like it was as much the result of blown coverage and good blocking as it was the result of Hawkins's skill set.

Bottom line we have two kick returners as good as Hawkins on the team--James and Williams.

I also would like to see Cox participate in the return game, particularly on punt returns.

edited to add Williams.
[ Edited by buck on Sep 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I predict our KR game is going to be a sour spot for us this year costing us games and possibly the division.
i think we will be more than fine in kickoffs , hunter is good, yes kyle is good and james does do that well. hell we won the division last year with num nuts ginn scared to run no more than five yards. there is no way we can be worse in my opinion
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
KR, yes.

Punts, no. Punts are much harder to field. Also, you have a split second to make a decision whether to return, let it bounce,or fair catch.

Seems we are neglecting ST recently

(Collin Jones, Jennings, Ginn, Costanzo)

Have always said and still say that fielding punts at any level is the hardest job in football. Yes, being the QB is difficult but the PR has to be fearless, nuts and skilled. if you want to know whats its like, venture down to your nearest intersection which has control lights. When the light changes from red to green, run out and have your friend lob you a really high end over end pass. Good luck. And for an added challenge do this on a windy day.
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
KR, yes. PR, no.
of course this is the truth. that is why its nice to have kyle back there backed up by cox,, until james gets back, the combo of kendall and kyle will do more than a good job of returning kicks. the loss of ginn makes us better in my opinion

You really do hate Ted Ginn, wonder what he did to you. In my opinion, Ted Ginn is the best return man we've had in the last ten years, maybe ever. He had one off year and everyone was on the hater bandwagon. The "What have you done for me lately" crowd, completely ignoring the two years of return yardage at the top of the NFL with no lost fumbled punts or kickoff returns during that stretch. He single-handedly won the game against Seattle in 2011 with two TD's.

I agree with your post.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
really mayo. you are ok with james back there doing punts?? you do walk on the wild side bud

That's why they call me the wild man.
  • buck
  • Veteran
As far as I can tell Hawkins remains unsigned.

If his kick return skills were better than James, I would expect him to be signed before too long.

Maybe it is a matter of money, but a good kick returner is worth more than the salary he would command as a five year vet.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I predict our KR game is going to be a sour spot for us this year costing us games and possibly the division.

Oh easily. The difference of 1 KR TD could be a Super Bowl. Or say if we are tied with the Seahawks for the season, it could bite us on the tiebreaker rules such as on total points. That brings me to remind the 9ers will have to score maximum points in every single game this season, no more of that gentleman stuff about not running up the scores such as in the Jets game. Seattle is getting too close, we will have to be ruthless to make sure we have ourselves covered.

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Lavelle Hawkins was probably the most natural of all these guys. After that Cox is the most natural. Ted Ginn from the past was great but they didn't want to allocate much toward a return man.

I agree. I just don't think they are paying much emphasis on it. Or may be they are banking on James, if that is the case that is indeed worrying. Our only hope now is Cox. I just hope they will get him to return more and hopefully he can break out. I just don't get it, I just don't know why aren't they doing anything about it. Remember last season's AFC Divisional Playoff game between the Broncos and Ravens ? Remember how Holiday scored 2 KR TDs ? And of course Jacoby Jones' KR TD against us in the Super Bowl too. I think they are underestimating the importance of KR and PR.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Lavelle Hawkins was probably the most natural of all these guys. After that Cox is the most natural. Ted Ginn from the past was great but they didn't want to allocate much toward a return man.

I agree. I just don't think they are paying much emphasis on it. Or may be they are banking on James, if that is the case that is indeed worrying. Our only hope now is Cox. I just hope they will get him to return more and hopefully he can break out. I just don't get it, I just don't know why aren't they doing anything about it. Remember last season's AFC Divisional Playoff game between the Broncos and Ravens ? Remember how Holiday scored 2 KR TDs ? And of course Jacoby Jones' KR TD against us in the Super Bowl too. I think they are underestimating the importance of KR and PR.

They are underestimating it. Ted Ginn won several games for us in 2011 with that.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Hunter, KW and Patton will all return kicks. Balee' dat!
[ Edited by ChazBoner on Sep 4, 2013 at 12:20 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:

You are mixing up the two aspects of the return game. James, Cox or the other returners have little to do with the mistakes that we made on our coverage teams.

I find it next to impossible to think that the coaching staff is not doing anything to improve our coverage units. Have they done enough to rectify the mistakes our coverage units made? I do not know. But, we will find out.

You continue to harp about James. I understand that you wanted to keep Hawkins, but you continue to ignore the evidence of their return capacities as demonstrated in real games. Hawkins returns for the 49ers were in preseason games. They were not made, as far as we know, against the opponents top coverage units.
[ Edited by buck on Sep 4, 2013 at 2:30 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
They are underestimating it. Ted Ginn won several games for us in 2011 with that.

How many games did Ginn win for us in 2012? The Ginn of 2011 and the Ginn of 2012 looked like completely different players.
[ Edited by buck on Sep 4, 2013 at 2:29 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone