There are 82 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Whos the KR/PR for the 2013 season?

I trust Williams back there. Cox can also handle it.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by cciowa:
KR, absolutely.

PR, absolutely not.
why. tell me how many times he messed up punt returns last year before he got hurt? please people

James...have you actually watched him the past two preaseasons actually try to field punts? Dude's a circus.

Pretty sure that cciowa was talking about Kyle Williams on punt returns.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
KR, yes. PR, no.
of course this is the truth. that is why its nice to have kyle back there backed up by cox,, until james gets back, the combo of kendall and kyle will do more than a good job of returning kicks. the loss of ginn makes us better in my opinion

You really do hate Ted Ginn, wonder what he did to you. In my opinion, Ted Ginn is the best return man we've had in the last ten years, maybe ever. He had one off year and everyone was on the hater bandwagon. The "What have you done for me lately" crowd, completely ignoring the two years of return yardage at the top of the NFL with no lost fumbled punts or kickoff returns during that stretch. He single-handedly won the game against Seattle in 2011 with two TD's.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
KR, absolutely.

PR, absolutely not.
why. tell me how many times he messed up punt returns last year before he got hurt? please people

James...have you actually watched him the past two preaseasons actually try to field punts? Dude's a circus.

Pretty sure that cciowa was talking about Kyle Williams on punt returns.
yes i was and thank you buck.. james is a trainwreck in punt returns no matter how much work he did
Originally posted by Rascal:
I don't think is a matter whether we "trust" LMJ to catch the ball per se, cos even if he can catch the ball he just can't return the ball. But, I like the way you used the term "natural", to me he is not a natural catcher as much as he is not a natural returner.

But, the question or problem is who else is on our current roster ? Noone. We found the only guy that can do at least KR with any meaningful effectiveness in Lavelle Hawkins and what did we do ? We cut him. So, as of now, our KR and PR issues remain stagnant and of course it will come back to bite us cos we are powerless to assert any threat in this area.

My only outside chance hope is Perish Cox.

I agree with Hawkins and Cox.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
He tries too hard to make plays as a returner. Cox seems like a natural.

This is true.
  • buck
  • Veteran
If the underlying question is whether we have anyone "good" for KR and PR, then the simple answer is NO, not since we cut Hawkins anyway.

How did cutting Hawkins have any impact on our punt returning capacity?

I do not think that Hawkins has returned a punt since he entered the league.

Hawkins simply has simply not proven to be a better kick returner than James.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I can't believe that can't find a decent KR/PR. Anybody is better than what they trot out there every game.

Well, we did, but we cut him.

Lavelle Hawkins was probably the most natural of all these guys. After that Cox is the most natural. Ted Ginn from the past was great but they didn't want to allocate much toward a return man.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I just kinda hold my breath, and pray silently when he is back there waiting for a punt to come down, I find this helps.

Pray is right.

LOL. It's true.
KR yes, PR no but I'm cool with QP or KW at PR.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Psinex:
You really do hate Ted Ginn, wonder what he did to you. In my opinion, Ted Ginn is the best return man we've had in the last ten years, maybe ever. He had one off year and everyone was on the hater bandwagon. The "What have you done for me lately" crowd, completely ignoring the two years of return yardage at the top of the NFL with no lost fumbled punts or kickoff returns during that stretch. He single-handedly won the game against Seattle in 2011 with two TD's.
everything you are talking about did not happen last year. thanks for 2011 but yes, he was garbage last year and i am sorry,, but i am not going to slobber praise all over him for one good year, There was no reason for him to regress last year and spare me about "we did not give him a chance" he lost his kickoff job to james and that should be all you need to know right there. did you see him last year? what did he do in punt returns? was it interesting? was it game changing because what I saw,, was catch the ball, run five yards and go out of bounds.. jesus you can train a f**king myna bird to do that. did you also note he provided nothing, zero , zilch to us as a wide out and again, spare me about " we never gave him a chance".. jesus he had a chance when we had our injuries and he did s**t. he is a one trick pony( who did not even do his one trick very well last year).. and as we saw, a one trick pony will only take you to a few towns. Thats my take on ginn
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
KR, yes.

Punts, no. Punts are much harder to field. Also, you have a split second to make a decision whether to return, let it bounce,or fair catch.

Seems we are neglecting ST recently

(Collin Jones, Jennings, Ginn, Costanzo)

I agree we are neglecting special teams. We always go discount. But we got a good field goal kicker. I agree he is much more shaky on punts. I marginally trust him on kickoffs. But on punts I tell you the truth he will cost us games this year. I'm sure of it.

Lockette, #1 gunner...cut. Morris #2 gunner this pre season...cut. Hawkins, cut...Cam blocks a punt and returns for a TD, cut. Jnenings, cut. LMJ and Williams are your returners while the only one with "some" potential in Cox is your #3 But thank God we kept Ventrone! That should solve it all right there! Who were our gunners last year...and again this year? Brock and Spillman? And didn't we stink last year? Is there any doubt we'll continue to struggle on kick off coverage units and get little production from our returners. To me, this has been a glaring weakness for two years and it's burned us in the NFCCG and finally, the Superbowl. We need at least one dynamic returner (some teams have two).

PS: On a side note, and I'm not even joking anymore, Dawson has a huge leg and I pray we ask him to kick the ball out of the EZ every single time raher than risk giving up a TD.

I agree with what you are saying here.
Originally posted by Wrathman:
I think Perish Cox is our best KR or PR. LMJ looks like a fumble waiting to happen.

Yes he does and I'm sure it will happen sooner or later unfortunately.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I predict our KR game is going to be a sour spot for us this year costing us games and possibly the division.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
I think LMJ and Williams are on the roster bubble, and I can see us letting them go next season - maybe earlier depending on Crabs and MM. I think Dixon has been better in pre-season and Hunter is better as change of pace.

Edit: I don't have much confidence in either of them at the moment, and I hope they prove me wrong.
[ Edited by Buchy on Sep 4, 2013 at 11:00 AM ]