There are 142 users in the forums

Whos the KR/PR for the 2013 season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Preseason ST struggled because they were trying 30 players who are no longer on the team. I expect them to be a LOT better come the regular season. We have not seen the real ST play. ST play is dangerous so they don't want to expose them in the pre-season.

Williams, James, and Cox should be reliable which is Harbaugh's priority ... game breakers is next but way down the list from reliable.

Hawkins looked a lot better than he actually is.
Good post.

Somewhat on KO. BUT he scares the daylights out of me on punts. I'm always holding my breath thinking he's going to fumble by misjudging the ball.

I wouldn't take a chance on Patton especially since our WR situation hasn't solidified.

Cox seemed pretty good in preseason and KW can fill in although I'd rather he didn't.
Originally posted by lamontb:
KR = confident
PR = hell no

+1
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Apparently this team thinks LaMichael James is the KR / PR for this team. I'm guessing they didn't see how many times he lunged for a catch or dove to the ground to make a catch. Plus last year he was fumbling his catches all the time. Granted he was not as bad this year as last. But in no way can I say this guy is a natural catcher for KR / PR. What they like about him is he is good in the open field with good speed. But catching kicks and punts is not the same as catching even a pass out of the backfield. It's just a totally different skill set. And I don't think LaMichael James is a natural at it. Not based on what I have seen the last 2 years in preseason.

Was he slightly better this preseason than last? Yes. Does he still scare the heck out of me and seem very unnatural and not sure handed for KR / PR? Yes. I think this will come back to bite us. I hope he proves otherwise but I'm concerned about this position.

You know how I feel about getting rid of Ted Ginn. What I don't understand is why we didn't sign Leon Washington the moment he got released by the Patriots. If he's still out there, we need to sign him pronto. Get rid of one of those Stupar types.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
KR, yes. PR, no.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
My thing is with K. Williams is the guy was iffy to start with and now after an ACL they keep going back to him like it's all going to change. It's just idiotic to me that they keep not only going to him as a KR, but as a receiver.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
KR, yes. PR, no.
of course this is the truth. that is why its nice to have kyle back there backed up by cox,, until james gets back, the combo of kendall and kyle will do more than a good job of returning kicks. the loss of ginn makes us better in my opinion
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
I don't think is a matter whether we "trust" LMJ to catch the ball per se, cos even if he can catch the ball he just can't return the ball. But, I like the way you used the term "natural", to me he is not a natural catcher as much as he is not a natural returner.

But, the question or problem is who else is on our current roster ? Noone. We found the only guy that can do at least KR with any meaningful effectiveness in Lavelle Hawkins and what did we do ? We cut him. So, as of now, our KR and PR issues remain stagnant and of course it will come back to bite us cos we are powerless to assert any threat in this area.

My only outside chance hope is Perish Cox.

You are entitled to your opinion, but the statistics from real games do clearly indicate that James is a kick returner, and that he has been better than Hawkins.

James has a better average on kick returns, as much experience as Hawkins, and his longest kick return is longer than Hawkin's longest.

I do not like what I saw from James on punt returns in the preseason, and I think that Cox looks more natural.
[ Edited by buck on Sep 4, 2013 at 9:29 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I just get the feeling that KW is over his stage fright and I can see the resolve on his face. I expect KW to return punts and kickoffs for that matter and do it to such a high level that he never relinquishes the job. The thing I like about KW is that he seems to have an inclination to get upfield and advance the ball instead of dancing towards the sideline. He just has to stay healthy in doing it. I can only hope that KW has just a little bit of Steve Smith in him this year at WR as well. I did say a little bit!

he was over that before the year began last year,, it was some short sighted fans who were not over it. really can it be worse than ginn running five yards and out of bounds? i disagree with those who said we neglected special teams,, we did not. we signed a bunch of guys and have several rookies who will and should return our kick and punt coverage to the way it was two years ago. my worry is that when he gets hurt and i am sorry kyle but he will,, james can not do the job. at least cox can be respectable for us in a pinch. i was hoping marlon moore could do this when he got signed but he will probably be a star at wide out and have little time for returns
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
You are entitled to your opinion, but the statistics from real games do clearly indicate that James is a kick returner, and that he has been better than Hawkins.

James has a better average on kick returns, as much experience as Hawkins, and his longest kick return is longer than Hawkin's longest.

I do not like what I saw from James on punt returns in the preseason, and I think that Cox looks more natural.

as usual, buck said nothing wrong

KR, absolutely.

PR, absolutely not...and don't trust Kyle Williams all that much, either.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Sep 4, 2013 at 9:56 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
KR, absolutely.

PR, absolutely not.
why. tell me how many times he messed up punt returns last year before he got hurt? please people
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
why. tell me how many times he messed up punt returns last year before he got hurt? please people

Good point. But to clarify, you are talking about Kyle Williams and punt returning, correct?
At KR yeah I do...
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
KR, absolutely.

PR, absolutely not.

James...have you actually watched him the past two preaseasons actually try to field punts? Dude's a circus.
Share 49ersWebzone