LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 193 users in the forums

Whos the KR/PR for the 2013 season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mayo49:
Yeah, and what is the lovefest with Kyle Williams? The guy has done nothing and he's still on the roster?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9633047/kyle-williams-san-francisco-49ers-honoring-slain-friend

I don't know man I just don't know. I see some ability in the guy but the QB we had previously did not get the ball to the WR much and when Kap came on KW got some touches but soon thereafter got injured. I think he is capable of giving us a spark and I think mentally he has toughened up and he comes from a good sports family. I won't be surprised if he can turn in a good year for us despite the epic meltdown he had in the NFCCG
I just kinda hold my breath, and pray silently when he is back there waiting for a punt to come down, I find this helps.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I just kinda hold my breath, and pray silently when he is back there waiting for a punt to come down, I find this helps.

Pray is right.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
KR, yes.

Punts, no. Punts are much harder to field. Also, you have a split second to make a decision whether to return, let it bounce,or fair catch.

Seems we are neglecting ST recently

(Collin Jones, Jennings, Ginn, Costanzo)

I agree we are neglecting special teams. We always go discount. But we got a good field goal kicker. I agree he is much more shaky on punts. I marginally trust him on kickoffs. But on punts I tell you the truth he will cost us games this year. I'm sure of it.

Lockette, #1 gunner...cut. Morris #2 gunner this pre season...cut. Hawkins, cut...Cam blocks a punt and returns for a TD, cut. Jnenings, cut. LMJ and Williams are your returners while the only one with "some" potential in Cox is your #3 But thank God we kept Ventrone! That should solve it all right there! Who were our gunners last year...and again this year? Brock and Spillman? And didn't we stink last year? Is there any doubt we'll continue to struggle on kick off coverage units and get little production from our returners. To me, this has been a glaring weakness for two years and it's burned us in the NFCCG and finally, the Superbowl. We need at least one dynamic returner (some teams have two).

PS: On a side note, and I'm not even joking anymore, Dawson has a huge leg and I pray we ask him to kick the ball out of the EZ every single time raher than risk giving up a TD.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 4, 2013 at 6:44 AM ]
I actually thought that special teams was a focus this offseason. Phil Dawson, Dan Skuta, Ray Ventrone, Craig Dahl were all special teams signings.
Originally posted by theduke85:
I actually thought that special teams was a focus this offseason. Phil Dawson, Dan Skuta, Ray Ventrone, Craig Dahl were all special teams signings.

I do like those 3 a lot. But still our gunners are OK and we still gave up big yards this pre season plus TD's and certainly, don't have a dynamic returner on any level.
Originally posted by NCommand:

I do like those 3 a lot. But still our gunners are OK and we still gave up big yards this pre season plus TD's and certainly, don't have a dynamic returner on any level.
Yeah, I don't know -- the special teams this preseason don't really scare me much either way. I just don't put a lot of stock into it.

However, I totally agree that the lack of an explosive return man hurts. Williams / James don't exactly strike fear into the hearts of opposing return units...

Yeah, I don't know -- the special teams this preseason don't really scare me much either way. I just don't put a lot of stock into it.

However, I totally agree that the lack of an explosive return man hurts. Williams / James don't exactly strike fear into the hearts of opposing return units...

I think I was joking with Gore_21 the other day? We were talking about how with Dawson's kickoffs, he was dropping them just inside either front corner of the EZ so the coverage unit can come down at an agle and pinch the returner in along the sidelines. But we were saying, if his leg is that strong, why not just kick the damn ball out of the EZ every single time b/c how often is our coverage team really going to pin them inside the 20?
I think Perish Cox is our best KR or PR. LMJ looks like a fumble waiting to happen.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
[ Edited by mayo49 on Sep 4, 2013 at 7:49 AM ]

It's a concern, but I'd be concerned over any option we have right now.

Preseason goes to Cox at PR, but we are talking small sample size here. So, I think it best to simply be passive and hopeful on what the coaches are seeing in practices that we can not observe.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Preseason goes to Cox at PR, but we are talking small sample size here. So, I think it best to simply be passive and hopeful on what the coaches are seeing in practices that we can not observe.

Agreed, we have to remember during pre season games, they may be asked to do different things. I've always been worried about the coverage units esp. in big games but the returners worry me most at Candlestick once the field gets wet and a little sloppy...and those winds. Also, Williams and LMJ aren't exactly the most sturdy of guys either. Was it in Seattle where they were hunting Williams and blasted him in the head...only to find out he had a severe concussion in the NFCCG the next week and was diving forward for fair catches and ultimately, fumbled away the game-winning FG to the Giants? LMJ is already hurt and Williams is just coming back from injury...has he had any snaps as a returner this off season? Cox may end up being the man, by default, if nothing else.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 4, 2013 at 8:02 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
When he is not injured, James is as good or better kick returner than the guy we cut. Well, he has been in real games anyways.

If we are going to take preseason games seriously, then Quinton Patton looks like he could return kick offs.

I do not feel all the comfortable with James returning punts. I would feel better with Cox, or god forbid, Williams returning punts.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Agreed, we have to remember during pre season games, they may be asked to do different things. I've always been worried about the coverage units esp. in big games but the returners worry me most at Candlestick once the field gets wet and a little sloppy...and those winds. Also, Williams and LMJ aren't exactly he most sturdy of guys either. Was it in Seattle where they were hunting Williams and blasted him in the head...only to find out he had a concussion in the NFCCG and was diving forward for fair catches and ultimately, fumbled away the game-winning FG to the Giants? LMJ is already hurt and Williams is just coming back...has he had any snaps as a returner this off season? Cox may end up being the man, by default, if nothing else.

Why do they keep going back to Williams? We know what he can or can't do. Give Cox a chance and see what he can do.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Sep 4, 2013 at 8:04 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
Why do they keep going back to Williams? We know what he can or can't do. Give Cox a chance and see what he can do.

If I had a hot-seat coach, Seely would be the one for me. Period. To be fair though, when he had the players (Ginn, Castanzo, etc.) two years ago, we were a good unit...we even ran some trick plays with onside kicks, the Crabtree TD against the Rams, etc. But the last two years, we've failed badly and aside from Dawson, I'm not sure we're any better on returns or the coverage units. But we'll just have to wait and see.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 4, 2013 at 8:12 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone