LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

2013 TRAINING CAMP THREAD

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by buck:
These numbers jumped off the page when I read them.

Austin Collie: 4 seasons, 42 games played (10.5/season), 173 catches (43.2/season), 1,845 yards (461.2/season), 16 touchdowns (4/season)

Kyle Williams: 3 seasons, 29 games played (9.6/season), 35 catches (11.6/season), 461 yards (153.6/season), 4 touchdowns (1.3/season)

Collie has played in more games per year. He has almost 4 times as many receptions a year.

Collie's average yards per year is almost identical to Williams 3 year total.

Yeah, Williams is a good guy, a good team player and a solid 6th round pick but it's time for him to step up. He needs to break out or he could be gone. He and Manningham are both free agents after this year which could be a good or bad thing. If they can stay healthy and both come back strong it will be tough to re-sign both but if they are still bothered by injury, get hurt again or can't produce it will make it easy for us to move on to the future. Anyways, back to Williams guy has to find the end zone. He's kind of like Delanie who was a solid all around player and didn't do too bad in the yardage category (much better than Williams) but he too had like a 1.5 average a year for TD's which isn't going to cut it. Walker had 8 TDs in 7 seasons and 6 of them came the last 2 years. There are a lot of guys who can get you 15-20 catches a year and 200ish yards. I think he has a chance to break out with Kap at QB and with him being higher up on the depth chart. Problem is if he would makes you wonder what he would re-sign for and if he can keep it up and stay healthy.

This is all true, but in fairness to Williams, Collie is a very, very talented reciever when he isnt concussed. He has Amendola/ Welker like abilities in the slot. Dude just cant stay on the field long enough to show it off for even an entire season.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
We have just signed Eric Wright, I guess we ain't playing this season.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

NFL.com

Where's the option for the Jags
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

NFL.com

On the wall of the bathroom stall next to " for a good time call"
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
This is all true, but in fairness to Williams, Collie is a very, very talented reciever when he isnt concussed. He has Amendola/ Welker like abilities in the slot. Dude just cant stay on the field long enough to show it off for even an entire season.

Agreed about Collie but I wasn't necessarily comparing Collie and Williams I was just saying it's time for Williams to step up. Like I said there are a lot of guys who can get you 14-20 catches and 200 yards a season with 1-2 td's although Williams is a solid returner. Time for him to start finding the end zone, getting more catches and yards. If he can't step it up not sure I want him back. Manningham as well, he needs to come back strong and show he can stay healthy for an entire year and be someone we can count on when it matters most. We have had too many injuries and too little stability at the WR spot for far too long. I don't see us re-signing him after this year if he gets hurt again and is out a long time. It's a harsh reality but that's the way it works with a team with super bowl expectations.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Agreed about Collie but I wasn't necessarily comparing Collie and Williams I was just saying it's time for Williams to step up. Like I said there are a lot of guys who can get you 14-20 catches and 200 yards a season with 1-2 td's although Williams is a solid returner. Time for him to start finding the end zone, getting more catches and yards. If he can't step it up not sure I want him back. Manningham as well, he needs to come back strong and show he can stay healthy for an entire year and be someone we can count on when it matters most. We have had too many injuries and too little stability at the WR spot for far too long. I don't see us re-signing him after this year if he gets hurt again and is out a long time. It's a harsh reality but that's the way it works with a team with super bowl expectations.

I totally get it and totally agree. Assuming we can get healthy Reciever is a position where we clearly near to start raising the bar. We can't have all stars at every position...nobody can in the cap era, but the secondary and wideouts while not weak persay are clearly the weakest part of our roster and lagging behind the general improvement we have seen since the rise of Harbalke.
[ Edited by PhillyNiner on Aug 8, 2013 at 4:17 PM ]
Is this message thread no longer relevant now that preseason games have started? I was just wondering why it seems dormant now.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Is this message thread no longer relevant now that preseason games have started? I was just wondering why it seems dormant now.

cuz everyone is arguing over alex smith again for the 1 billionth time
Sad because Alex isn't in our camp this year and this thread rocks so long as it stays on topic. Plus I use the front page to stay in touch with when we are practicing so that I can determine when to seek out new information that may be filtering out in the media
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Aug 11, 2013 at 4:03 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Thu. Aug. 15 - 11:00 a.m. - Mock game, closed to media ; Final practice of Training Camp.

Aug. 17 - Player's day off, no media availability

Tue. Aug. 27 - First roster cut of the offseason. Before 4:00 p.m. (EST) the 49ers must reduce their roster to a maximum of 75 players.

What happens between Aug 16 and Aug 27, if Aug 15 is the last practice of training camp?
[ Edited by buck on Aug 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM ]

Thu. Aug. 15 - 11:00 a.m. - Mock game, closed to media ; Final practice of Training Camp.

Tue. Aug. 27 - First roster cut of the offseason. Before 4:00 p.m. (EST) the 49ers must reduce their roster to a maximum of 75 players.

What happens between Aug 16 and Aug 27, if Aug 15 is the last practice of training camp?

Team strip club outing.

just regular practices
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

NFL.com

Yah, what happen when the Eagles had the best roster on paper.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Yah, what happen when the Eagles had the best roster on paper.

I've already pointed this out. There's a difference. The Eagles bought most of their roster while the Niners developed most of theirs. The Eagles aren't the only team that has tried spending a bunch of money on veteran free agents and flopped. The Redskins of done that a few times too.

Winner!
Share 49ersWebzone