There are 168 users in the forums

2013 TRAINING CAMP THREAD

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GNielsen:
How ironic would it be if a number of guys step up and the Niners have the problem of too much depth at receiver?

Could happen... then we will all happily laugh at ourselves for the weeks/months of worrying.
How ironic would it be if a number of guys step up and the Niners have the problem of too much depth at receiver?

I think it could happen. Because until I see otherwise, I am a firm believer that Kap "makes" great receivers.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Yeah, I am going into this with no WR favoritism. (very little of that for any positions)

I'm feeling that buzzing like it's close... guess reminding of Mayo's deal with his penis.

Totally agree! With Crabtree and Manningham out it's really difficult to figure out #2 and #3 just from newsprint...er...dpi...

I really hope Williams does well but wouldn't be sad if Patton and Jenkins blew his doors off during preseason! Lockette, Moore, Hall...OK! Step up and take it!

Would not be at all surprised to see a starting lineup of Boldin, Collie and Williams though. Harbaugh loves vets! They make fewer bone head mistakes.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Aug 7, 2013 at 12:30 PM ]
San Francisco 49ers ‏@49ers 1m Kaepernick will play between 1-2 drives to a full quarter in Thursday night's preseason game according to Harbaugh.

I'd rather be in that scenario then what we were with NOOOOOOOOOOBODY!!
Jim Harbaugh says few #49ers veterans will get night off for exhibition opener vs. #Broncos: "Patrick for sure, possibly Frank, we'll see."
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Totally agree! With Crabtree and Manningham out it's really difficult to figure out #2 and #3 just from newsprint...er...dpi...

I really hope Williams does well but wouldn't be sad if Patton and Jenkins blew his doors off during preseason! Lockette, Moore, Hall...OK! Step up and take it!

Would not be at all surprised to see a starting lineup of Boldin, Collie and Williams though. Harbaugh loves vets! They make fewer bone head mistakes.

Here is some information to consider as we watch the wide receivers.

from the bay area sports guy

A good portion of the potential starters have no regular season experience. You know those names well: Ricardo Lockette, Quinton Patton and Chuck Jacobs. Then there's A.J. Jenkins … but I'm sure you know how he did last year too.
edit: Lockette does have two receptions.

Regarding those who do have NFL experience:

Austin Collie: 4 seasons, 42 games played (10.5/season), 173 catches (43.2/season), 1,845 yards (461.2/season), 16 touchdowns (4/season)

Kyle Williams: 3 seasons, 29 games played (9.6/season), 35 catches (11.6/season), 461 yards (153.6/season), 4 touchdowns (1.3/season)

Lavelle Hawkins: 5 seasons, 52 games played (10.4/season), 71 catches (14.2/season), 771 yards (154.2/season), 1 touchdown (I won't rub it in)

Marlon Moore: 3 seasons, 29 games played (9.6/season), 12 catches (4/season), 244 yards (81.3/season), 2 touchdowns (Not good either)

Chad Hall: 2 seasons, 15 games played (7.5/season), 14 catches (7/season), 135 yards (67.5/season), 2 touchdowns (1/season)

Kassim Osgood: 10 seasons, 152 games played (15.2/season)*, 44 catches (4.4/season), 749 yards (74.9/season), 5 touchdowns (0.5/season)

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/49ers-wide-receivers-competition-austin-collie-kyle-williams-aj-jenkins/
Originally posted by defenderDX:

That would be awesome, although I'd have even more anxiety because I wouldn't want to see anyone get cut!
Originally posted by SofaKing:

That would be awesome, although I'd have even more anxiety because I wouldn't want to see anyone get cut!

I'd rather see this than have to spend any more time with the sky crashing down

i wanna see all the wrs who need to step up and also how okoye does
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Aug 7, 2013 at 3:48 PM ]

Really wanna see some receivers step up in the preseason games.
Originally posted by PrisonOfGlass:
Originally posted by crabman82:
every nfl preseason game is shown on nfl network. some of them live, most of them not, this thursday the bronco's niners game is on nfl network at 10 pm pacific time.

f**k. Thanks for the info. I'm on EST so it's not a go.
FYI, according to the NFL Network site, the Broncos-49ers game will be re-shown on Friday the 9th at 4 pm ET and on Sunday the 11th at 8 pm ET. I'm also in the ET so I looked it up as my PVR capacity is getting pretty used up by stuff for the spousal unit.
Originally posted by buck:
Here is some information to consider as we watch the wide receivers.

from the bay area sports guy

A good portion of the potential starters have no regular season experience. You know those names well: Ricardo Lockette, Quinton Patton and Chuck Jacobs. Then there's A.J. Jenkins … but I'm sure you know how he did last year too.
edit: Lockette does have two receptions.

Regarding those who do have NFL experience:

Austin Collie: 4 seasons, 42 games played (10.5/season), 173 catches (43.2/season), 1,845 yards (461.2/season), 16 touchdowns (4/season)

Kyle Williams: 3 seasons, 29 games played (9.6/season), 35 catches (11.6/season), 461 yards (153.6/season), 4 touchdowns (1.3/season)

Lavelle Hawkins: 5 seasons, 52 games played (10.4/season), 71 catches (14.2/season), 771 yards (154.2/season), 1 touchdown (I won't rub it in)

Marlon Moore: 3 seasons, 29 games played (9.6/season), 12 catches (4/season), 244 yards (81.3/season), 2 touchdowns (Not good either)

Chad Hall: 2 seasons, 15 games played (7.5/season), 14 catches (7/season), 135 yards (67.5/season), 2 touchdowns (1/season)

Kassim Osgood: 10 seasons, 152 games played (15.2/season)*, 44 catches (4.4/season), 749 yards (74.9/season), 5 touchdowns (0.5/season)

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/49ers-wide-receivers-competition-austin-collie-kyle-williams-aj-jenkins/

Just my thoughts:

Osgood and Hawkins don't have much of chance. There best days are behind them. Osgood is a 3 time pro bowler on ST but the latest was going on 4 seasons ago. If we are hell bent on having a ST guy on the team at WR we would be better off with Marlon Moore who is like 6 years younger and has much more potential at WR. However not sure we need a ST guy at WR, maybe depends on if we keep Skuta, Brock or Wilhoite. Spillman for sure will be one of our main guys. I think Collie and Hall will battle it out for a possibly chance at one spot. Not sure I see both making the team as they are similar type players and we already have slot guys. Chuck Jacobs I think will head to the PS and could compete for a spot next year. I think Boldin, Williams, Patton, Jenkins are all locks and Manningham as well unless he goes to the PUP in that case there would be 2 open spots instead of 1. With that last spot I think Lockette, Collie, Chad Hall and Marlon Moore are the guys up for it. Outside chance we could keep 7 but seems excessive when we hardly ever use more than 3 wr sets. I would say the final spot goes to Lockette, Collie or Hall in that ranking order. Again, If Manningham goes to PUP than 2 of those 3 would make it IMO.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 7, 2013 at 5:07 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Just my thoughts:

Osgood and Hawkins don't have much of chance. There best days are behind them. Osgood is a 3 time pro bowler on ST but the latest was going on 4 seasons ago. If we are hell bent on having a ST guy on the team at WR we would be better off with Marlon Moore who is like 6 years younger and has much more potential at WR. However not sure we need a ST guy at WR, maybe depends on if we keep Skuta, Brock or Wilhoite. Spillman for sure will be one of our main guys. I think Collie and Hall will battle it out for a possibly chance at one spot. Not sure I see both making the team as they are similar type players and we already have slot guys. Chuck Jacobs I think will head to the PS and could compete for a spot next year. I think Boldin, Williams, Patton, Jenkins are all locks and Manningham as well unless he goes to the PUP in that case there would be 2 open spots instead of 1. With that last spot I think Lockette, Collie, Chad Hall and Marlon Moore are the guys up for it. Outside chance we could keep 7 but seems excessive when we hardly ever use more than 3 wr sets. I would say the final spot goes to Lockette, Collie or Hall in that ranking order. Again, If Manningham goes to PUP than 2 of those 3 would make it IMO.

I really like marlon moore. Dude can play
Side note glad the season starts tomorrow. Seems like every year the storm is greatest right before the season starts. Fans get so desperate for news they just go overboard and are so emotional. Then you get to the pre-season and stuff like who should be the 5th CB or 4th RB turns into heated arguments but then you get into the season and all that disappears and means little.

xtm, I'm not counting him out by any means just think it's going to be a tough competition between Lockette, Collie, Hall and Moore. Collie has the most production but the other 3 we would be counting on them to break out. I will say don't fully count out the guys we cut as they could be back during the season if we have enough injuries. I think whoever we cut would be the first we call if that would happen as they know the play book. And if we would hold a tryout we and those guys are still out there it's likely we would invite the guys we cut and they would have the upper hand. Also could go the the PS so whoever is on there don't count them out either. We hold our PS higher than most teams. We treat them like a part of the team and it shows because we are one of the few (or maybe only ones?) that take them on road trips.
Share 49ersWebzone