LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Whitner unhappy?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
He can control whether or not the team extends him by rededicating himself to improving his coverage skills. He's only 27, he can improve.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
He wants stability and may have a good season this year. However Aldon Smith and Kaepernick are the teams priorities next off season.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by NCommand:
LOL. He shouldn't be here THIS year! 14 TD's buddy including responsibility for the first 3 in the Superbowl.

Love the dude but he absolutely BLOWS in coverage esp. in the RZ and sadly, teams will continue to isolate him.

Goldson was usually the one to blame for those blown coverages. I cant count how many times I saw the 2 of them arguing after a TD, and Whitner putting his hand on Goldson's shoulder pad and explaining while pointing in the air to where the coverage was supposed to be.
Goldson haters lol. look one player earned the highest contrat in his position's history, voted by coaches fellow players as the best at his position with that All Pro win.....and well....another player is worried about not being with his team next yar. there is a reason for that. and it is not because of your superpowers of reading what Whitner is saying to Goldson on the field.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/02/playing-tag-dashon-goldson/

says it all.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jul 22, 2013 at 3:35 AM ]
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

Whitner cleaning up for Bowman... again!

Whitner and Carlos taking a beating from the Zone doe
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jul 22, 2013 at 5:01 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Whitner in coverage and Carlos at NCB, yes.. taking a beating. You disagree?
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Whitner in coverage and Carlos at NCB, yes.. taking a beating. You disagree?

Yes, I do. Whitner is being taken advantage of by his SS position in the red zone because of his duel responsibility in run AND coverage. Whitner is a typical NFL SS, where you want that strength and physical durability to take on RB, sometimes along with the linebackers. He also has enough speed and mobility to take on coverage. If he is asked to purely goes in coverage in the redzone, I would think he would do well. But he is also asked to diagnose run plays to back the linebackers. That gif is case in point -- where he cleaned up for Bowman ( also the Saints playoff game of 2011) Those 6"6 TE will give anyone trouble around the goal line and red zone. Not just Whitner. It's not so much that Whitner's play is lacking, it's more of the changing NFL by attacking the SS position with big mobile TE, knowing that SS has to watch for the run responsibility also.

As to Carlos, he is asked to play the slot receiver. Just by the alignment of the slot receiver, you know they have more room to go either left or right out of the slot. To run any number on the route tree. As compared to the left or right receiver being closer to the sideline, that sideline can be a CB's 'friend'. Carlos has to trail, can't be too aggressive, and often victim of 'pick' plays. Coaches usually want a good vet CB to play the slot since they have the savvy to kinda react quickly to where the slot receiver will go.

The way I see it, both guys more of a victim by what's required from their position, than the perceived lack of talent.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jul 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM ]
qnn, I don't know about this yr, but in the near future, we are going to be fielding 4 DBs, all the same type of player, Strong Corners. Tall, long arms, good coverage guys, who also, have to be able to tackle. It is possible we don't even have 1 or 2 of the guys who will start at Strong Corner in camp yet. Yesterday we added a CB already cut once. When Coach H says he wants a competition, he meant it. The more the merrier. This yr, as opposed to last, JH intends to put out 4 guys, all of equal pass defending skill, and will focus on knocking down passes, not tackling the receiver after the catch. Only guy who we couldn't defend with 4 tall long armed guys, was Anquan on the sidelines at the first down marker. So we did the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em"...or in this case, he joined us....err, make that , we bought him.

please note, this is an opinion.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jul 24, 2013 at 12:06 PM ]
Rogers will look to continue making strides both as a perimeter defender and in his slot duties. The slot role poses quite the challenge to a veteran like Rogers, who has maintained that challenging spot over the past two seasons playing under Fangio."It's not an easy job," Rogers said. "You get guys on the outside a lot of times, coaches roll coverages to you, you have safety help over the top.

"In the slot, guys have so many directions to go. It's a hard position."

Rogers must have heard I defended him on the Zone He just got my back after I dropped my football knowledge 101 on defending the slot.
This is why I can't wait for 2014, and can almost see us going back and hosting the SB in our own house. -FA and the draft are gonna be loaded with quality CBs/SSs prospects & replacements.

I think almost 70% of our backfield will be liquidated by next January.

Rogers must have heard I defended him on the Zone He just got my back after I dropped my football knowledge 101 on defending the slot.

yeah, who knew that slot WR gets space to the left and right and can run the route tree?

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
This is why I can't wait for 2014, and can almost see us going back and hosting the SB in our own house. -FA and the draft are gonna be loaded with quality CBs/SSs prospects & replacements.

I think almost 70% of our backfield will be liquidated by next January.

Pretty much. I think this is Rogers and Whitner's last year with the team
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Im unhappy with his coverage skills.
Im surprised that harbaughs shout out about how much he respects whitner hasnt been mentioned or argued yet today.
I'm unhappy with him too and his cover skills. We need to replace him.
Once the pass rush is at 100% and if our new cbs turn out as good as most are hoping the issue of his covrrage will slightly dissapate. But then again even if his coverage skills improve im pretty surefans here will still think hes not good enough
Share 49ersWebzone