LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

Whitner unhappy?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
LOL. He shouldn't be here THIS year! 14 TD's buddy including responsibility for the first 3 in the Superbowl.

Love the dude but he absolutely BLOWS in coverage esp. in the RZ and sadly, teams will continue to isolate him.

Goldson was usually the one to blame for those blown coverages. I cant count how many times I saw the 2 of them arguing after a TD, and Whitner putting his hand on Goldson's shoulder pad and explaining while pointing in the air to where the coverage was supposed to be.
Originally posted by Niners99:
LOL. He shouldn't be here THIS year! 14 TD's buddy including responsibility for the first 3 in the Superbowl.

Love the dude but he absolutely BLOWS in coverage esp. in the RZ and sadly, teams will continue to isolate him.

Goldson was usually the one to blame for those blown coverages. I cant count how many times I saw the 2 of them arguing after a TD, and Whitner putting his hand on Goldson's shoulder pad and explaining while pointing in the air to where the coverage was supposed to be.

What is more sad, Whitner knowing where he is supposed to be but still letting his guy catch the ball or Goldson having a few brain farts here and there?
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Originally posted by Disp:
Well ProFootballFocus says he's the worst starter on our team, so not sure what you're going on about. He is not a good player, and was a major liability in coverage last year.

PFF isn't the bible, whitner has his weaknesses but he's a great leader and plays strong assignment football

If Whitner is as bad as everyone says he is, it is upon the coach, DC Failgio, to put him in a better position to succeed. It's kinda like putting a crappy corner on Megatron, and then b***hing when he gives up a TD. Whitner is what he is, and I'm glad he plays on our team. Could we improve? Sure. But find me that guy before I kick Whitner to the curb
Originally posted by Joecool:

What is more sad, Whitner knowing where he is supposed to be but still letting his guy catch the ball or Goldson having a few brain farts here and there?

Whitner has an assignment, and Goldson has an assignment. When Goldson blows his, Whitner cant just make up the difference.

I dont think either were that good in coverage, but I think Whitner had a much better grasp on what they were supposed to be doing. Goldson was a doofus. Im so glad we didnt pay him that money. I cant comment about his off the field intelligence, but as far as football IQ, he was dumb as a rock. Thats why I tend to side with Whitner. Goldson used to come flying in a good 3 secs. after the whistle and just plow somebody, drawing a 15 yard flag.
Oh boy. AB, or is it BA? I forget? Anyway, AB, thanks for kicking Rip Van Winkle in the azz. Altho I read this puppy every day, somehow that one blew by me. Doesn't make any difference in the hoped for event anyway, of the DBs proving if they can cover or not. Those guys will FIRST, I believe, have to prove they can cover. Later, we'll see if they can tackle. Because NFL has become a passer's league, and DBs, corners or safeties, are going to become one and the same guy....at least to my thinking. My original idea was to sign any player 6'7" or taller with really long arms to learn how to cover. In actuality, that won't happen, due to fact DBs are some of the best athletes ANYWHERE.

Hence I see our DBs going by the name of Strong Corners, and we put 4 of 'em on the field as DBs. Strong tacklers, (Goldson) were hell o wheels when it came to tackling. Tackling machine you could say. But tackling after the catch didn't do us much good . That is why we got a bunch of guys in camp, competing for 3 slots, (assuming Reid is golden). I see all those 4 guys as interchangeable parts, and all performing the same task....preventing receivers from catching a pass. Coach and Trent went to the trouble of assembling the guys they thot had talent ,fit in AB's remarkably reliabe salary figures( I often wonder if Parag is reading AB's posts), and can first cover, and then later, tackle. Just tackling machines like Goldson don't get it done anymore, assuming a team has its sights set on SB. We proved that in SB, and Ravens proved it on us.

Ah, well , that is enough. Back to sleep for another 20 yrs. Thanks again, AB. Your friend pasodumbazz.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jul 20, 2013 at 6:57 PM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Whitner has an assignment, and Goldson has an assignment. When Goldson blows his, Whitner cant just make up the difference.

I dont think either were that good in coverage, but I think Whitner had a much better grasp on what they were supposed to be doing. Goldson was a doofus. Im so glad we didnt pay him that money. I cant comment about his off the field intelligence, but as far as football IQ, he was dumb as a rock. Thats why I tend to side with Whitner. Goldson used to come flying in a good 3 secs. after the whistle and just plow somebody, drawing a 15 yard flag.

I disagree. If you look back to the 2011 season, Dashon at least had 6 INTs. What has Whitner ever done ? A couple of big hits here or there ? He can't cover even when he is standing right next to the guy, plus he is undersized.

Just think about this, if Dashon was really that bad, why would the Bucs pay $8.25 mil for him ? That is a premium safety price tag.

I still believe we should have kept Dashon. We should have cut Whitner and Rogers to help pay for him and drafted another corner together with Eric Reid at safety.
Originally posted by Rascal:

I disagree. If you look back to the 2011 season, Dashon at least had 6 INTs. What has Whitner ever done ? A couple of big hits here or there ? He can't cover even when he is standing right next to the guy, plus he is undersized.

Just think about this, if Dashon was really that bad, why would the Bucs pay $8.25 mil for him ? That is a premium safety price tag.

I still believe we should have kept Dashon. We should have cut Whitner and Rogers to help pay for him and drafted another corner together with Eric Reid at safety.

Letting Goldson go was the right move. He isn't a bad player, but he is not worth $8M+ either. We all know in FA you have to overpay for talent which at least partially explains the premium he received from the Bucs. The money we saved will go towards Kaep, Aldon, Iupati etc.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Oh boy. AB, or is it BA? I forget? Anyway, AB, thanks for kicking Rip Van Winkle in the azz. Altho I read this puppy every day, somehow that one blew by me. Doesn't make any difference in the hoped for event anyway, of the DBs proving if they can cover or not. Those guys will FIRST, I believe, have to prove they can cover. Later, we'll see if they can tackle. Because NFL has become a passer's league, and DBs, corners or safeties, are going to become one and the same guy....at least to my thinking. My original idea was to sign any player 6'7" or taller with really long arms to learn how to cover. In actuality, that won't happen, due to fact DBs are some of the best athletes ANYWHERE.

Hence I see our DBs going by the name of Strong Corners, and we put 4 of 'em on the field as DBs. Strong tacklers, (Goldson) were hell o wheels when it came to tackling. Tackling machine you could say. But tackling after the catch didn't do us much good . That is why we got a bunch of guys in camp, competing for 3 slots, (assuming Reid is golden). I see all those 4 guys as interchangeable parts, and all performing the same task....preventing receivers from catching a pass. Coach and Trent went to the trouble of assembling the guys they thot had talent ,fit in AB's remarkably reliabe salary figures( I often wonder if Parag is reading AB's posts), and can first cover, and then later, tackle. Just tackling machines like Goldson don't get it done anymore, assuming a team has its sights set on SB. We proved that in SB, and Ravens proved it on us.

Ah, well , that is enough. Back to sleep for another 20 yrs. Thanks again, AB. Your friend pasodumbazz.

Love ya Doc. Always one of my favorite posters of all time.
To everyone yammering that "Whitner Sucks":

Since he took over "green dot" responsibilities, our pass defense went from 16th in the league to 4th in the league.

He's not the best cover SS in th league, but he had a HUGE role in the 49ers improvement vs. the pass. Whitner has his role in our defense...and more people should appreciate it.
Anyways Whitner is great in run support. Hes made ome key plays for the Niners and he deserves a little respect. Honestly though he's not the guy. Hes not the guy I want paired with Reid for the next 5 years. Period. This year we don't have a choice.I think he'll have a descent season but we need to hit the market if were going to be signing.multiyear deals. Sorry Whitner is not ideal.
[ Edited by eonblue on Jul 21, 2013 at 1:42 AM ]

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Rascal:

Letting Goldson go was the right move. He isn't a bad player, but he is not worth $8M+ either. We all know in FA you have to overpay for talent which at least partially explains the premium he received from the Bucs. The money we saved will go towards Kaep, Aldon, Iupati etc.

I don't know, money is all relative at the end of the day. I am not saying Dashon is worth every penny of that $8.25 mil, but on the other hand is Revis really worth $16 mil ? The way I look at it is this, if we can pay Carlos Rogers $7 mil a year, Dashon is at least worth that.
I'd really like to see Whitner back. Dude is motivated. That's why that SB Fluke loss was so upsetting to me. I knew that this team will lose some foundation players. ALL of these guys deserved that win and Ray Lewis , Goodell and the refs screwed us.

Originally posted by TonyStarks:
everytime I see Ravens footage of the superbowl , this dude is getting BUTTFVCKED IN THE END ZONE.

exactly it.. Whitner should not play a 49ers team!! I don't want him our team!! He is still sux his defense and lost our game at Superbowl!

Goldson haters lol. look one player earned the highest contrat in his position's history, voted by coaches fellow players as the best at his position with that All Pro win.....and well....another player is worried about not being with his team next yar. there is a reason for that. and it is not because of your superpowers of reading what Whitner is saying to Goldson on the field.

Originally posted by TonyStarks:
I'd really like to see Whitner back. Dude is motivated. That's why that SB Fluke loss was so upsetting to me. I knew that this team will lose some foundation players. ALL of these guys deserved that win and Ray Lewis , Goodell and the refs screwed us.

yeah we got f**ked
[ Edited by JimDrinkAMiller on Jul 21, 2013 at 10:03 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone