There are 108 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Whitner unhappy?

Willis was the only ILB they put as elite. Here's the rationale though, and he explained some of the ratings further in the comments (he's the PFF_Neil handle). https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/07/17/neils-nfl-daily-july-17-2013/
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Disp:

Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:
Hmm Landry has played SS, I'm sure delmas could play SS, Woodson played SS, William Moore, George Wilson, Adrian Wilson... Where were you at?

I wasn't suggesting starting 2 rookies but they didn't even draft a prospect to take over for whitner down the road..

"Good" SS's, not warm bodies. None of those players you listed are better than average other than perhaps Wilson, and none would be a noticeable upgrade over Whitner for the 1 year he has left. Whitner is not terrible by league standards, but compared to the rest of our defensive players (other than Rogers) he is.

Disagree Disp, I think both Wilson's and William Moore are much better in coverage than Whitner is. I would've been sad to see Whitner go if he got released this off-season cause he is a leader in the secondary, but I would've been quickly over it if the 9ers signed Moore or one of the Wilson's.
Willis was the only ILB they put as elite. Here's the rationale though, and he explained some of the ratings further in the comments (he's the PFF_Neil handle). https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/07/17/neils-nfl-daily-july-17-2013/

Still, that's a lot of green... after looking at the other teams with a majority yellow... I think we're good.... should be interesting to compare SEA
You guys realize we can't have all pros at every position, right? There's always gonna be a Donte Whitner on the team whether you like it or not
I think Bowman is elite. Name another playing at a higher level than him?
Great against the run and around the LOS. Horrible in coverage. Blows coverage assignments alot, and is simply outmatched.

wanted him replaced this year, but we needed to keep a vet back there, so whitner it is, but no, he has not earned a contract extension.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Disagree Disp, I think both Wilson's and William Moore are much better in coverage than Whitner is. I would've been sad to see Whitner go if he got released this off-season cause he is a leader in the secondary, but I would've been quickly over it if the 9ers signed Moore or one of the Wilson's.

Maybe, but both Wilsons are 32/33 and on the downside of their careers, which seems like a bit of a gamble signing those guys to couple year deals. Moore would've been an upgrade, but how much would it have cost to pry him away from the Falcons, and would that have impacted our ability to sign Kaep/Aldon next year?

Edit: Moore wasn't even really available as a FA. He signed a deal with the Falcons on the first day of free agency.
[ Edited by Disp on Jul 19, 2013 at 4:13 PM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Hmm Landry has played SS, I'm sure delmas could play SS, Woodson played SS, William Moore, George Wilson, Adrian Wilson... Where were you at?

I wasn't suggesting starting 2 rookies but they didn't even draft a prospect to take over for whitner down the road..

"Good" SS's, not warm bodies. None of those players you listed are better than average other than perhaps Wilson, and none would be a noticeable upgrade over Whitner for the 1 year he has left. Whitner is not terrible by league standards, but compared to the rest of our defensive players (other than Rogers) he is.

yeah and the contract that landry signed tells me he is a bit more than a "WARM BODY" . If none of these guys would be a noticeable upgrade over whitner than maybe whitner is better than you guys give him credit for.

I think landry is a hell of a player, he has much to improve on but that guy is a machine that rivals just about anyone in the league in athleticism.
Next year we could have major turmoil in our secondary. Whitner was VERY solid in 2011, but slipped a bit last year. He obviously struggles in the red zone when he is matched up with opposing TEs. As for our CB situation, Brown could be on the way out and we could be rolling with Culliver and a rookie draft pick. Who takes the SS spot though? Going to be interesting but taking the young route may not be all that bad. Well, until three or four years when you have to pay them LOL.
yeah and the contract that landry signed tells me he is a bit more than a "WARM BODY" . If none of these guys would be a noticeable upgrade over whitner than maybe whitner is better than you guys give him credit for.

I think landry is a hell of a player, he has much to improve on but that guy is a machine that rivals just about anyone in the league in athleticism.

Well you don't agree with PFF's ratings, but I'll post em anyway. I don't watch enough Bills, Cardinals, Jets, etc. games to get a good enough judgment based on what I watch, so I have to rely more on articles and PFF/Football Outsiders to get a better understanding. George Wilson was rated well and Moore was pretty good as well, but like said, Moore was never really a free agent. Landry has always been known as an athletic freak, but that doesn't make him a consistent or particularly good player. So here are the remaining free agent players you mentioned as Whitner replacements. This is their grade for SS/FS's last year.

[ Edited by Disp on Jul 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM ]
Think it's sinking in he probably won't be here next year...unless he reverts back to his 2011 form. That could mean a rebound in performance...or he'll be hitting the road out of SF. Additions of Reid, Dahl and seemingly a maturing Robinson, he could well be aced out.
If he worked on coverage skills while remaining strong against the run and hitting hard, i think he would still be here after this season, if not....oh well.
Our scheme relies on playing disciplined and despite Whitner's short comings in one on one coverage, he isn't as bad as people think. There is a reason we allowed the least amount of big plays but Whitner is susceptible in space against a TE or WR. One thing that disappointed me from him last year was the amount of missed tackles. Our CBs were lights out in that category, but both safeties missed their fair share of tackles. If Whitner cleans that up and does a bit better in coverage, I will be satisfied with his play next year.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by NCommand:
LOL. He shouldn't be here THIS year! 14 TD's buddy including responsibility for the first 3 in the Superbowl.

Love the dude but he absolutely BLOWS in coverage esp. in the RZ and sadly, teams will continue to isolate him.

I would have rather kept Goldson and gotten rid of Whitner. Goldson/Reid may have been awesome. Of course, the money probably would not have worked.

To me, Whitner is a crap Safety. He is smart, but he is terrible at defending the pass...terrible!

Both Goldson and Whitner are highly overrated. And Goldson was overpaid big time. Couldn't afford to keep him.

Anyone who says cap is a problem, should think again. Rogers will be asked to take a pay cut, or be cut. Whatever money is left over is carried over for 2014. And we will lose Brown, he will want a good amount, and it's a giant mistake to pay anymore than $5M a yr. But he will get a 4-5 yr deal worth $8M a yr, too much for us. Rather draft 2 CBs high.

Whitner is gone, Goodwin and Haralson also after 2013, maybe sooner. Neither of the last 2 are locks.

Only guy I see back is Boldin. We need money for Kap, Aldon, Iupati and possibly Crabs.

Also I hope if all goes well, we bring back Manningham and K.Williams, if he turns out good on returns, he needs to show more than a handful of returns to be experienced to me.
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
Our scheme relies on playing disciplined and despite Whitner's short comings in one on one coverage, he isn't as bad as people think. There is a reason we allowed the least amount of big plays but Whitner is susceptible in space against a TE or WR. One thing that disappointed me from him last year was the amount of missed tackles. Our CBs were lights out in that category, but both safeties missed their fair share of tackles. If Whitner cleans that up and does a bit better in coverage, I will be satisfied with his play next year.

If our scheme rely's on discipline, then does that mean we don't need the most athletic player? Whitner's role in this offense is not very difficult to replace. On the other hand, Goldson's talent was difficult to replace which is why we traded down in the draft to get the player who can replace him. That talent isn't normally available. The biggest question to answer is, "What is the strength of this defense?", and you will tell yourself that it is stopping the run. Tackling is Whitner's strength which is not what we need from a safety. What is the weakness of this team? The key position on defense to upgrade now is Whitner. This staff has thought a couple of years ahead since Baalke has been here and I am sure they have already thought about Whitner's replacement.