There are 151 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Whitner unhappy?

Originally posted by NinerG94:
Here we go again with the 49er safety bashing. Some of you people are ridiculous and have no idea what it takes to play that position. I say to most of you. Watch other teams play. fing homers!!!! There's not a safety in the league that doesn't get beat in coverage from game to game. In a pass happy league there is no way around it. Not to mention hes a fing strong safety!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate to wonder how bad you guys are going to cry when the rookie is getting torched back there this season. And all of this "he's a breed of safety that is disappearing is absolutely hilarious." That must be why the 49ers as well as countless other teams in the league all drafted PHYSICAL hard hitting players this season. WOW you all sit here and suck Seattle fans pricks about their safeties and then sit here and cry about our own players. Sickening!

Well ProFootballFocus says he's the worst starter on our team, so not sure what you're going on about. He is not a good player, and was a major liability in coverage last year.

Originally posted by Disp:
Well ProFootballFocus says he's the worst starter on our team, so not sure what you're going on about. He is not a good player, and was a major liability in coverage last year.


PFF isn't the bible, whitner has his weaknesses but he's a great leader and plays strong assignment football
PFF isn't perfect, but they offer the best and most comprehensive player evaluation available to anyone not in an NFL locker room. They've got a lot more credibility than any of us when grading players, and I don't know of any place that rates Whitner well. It's a well known fact that he allowed a massive % of the touchdowns against the 49ers last year and he was generally terrible in coverage.
Originally posted by Disp:
PFF isn't perfect, but they offer the best and most comprehensive player evaluation available to anyone not in an NFL locker room. They've got a lot more credibility than any of us when grading players, and I don't know of any place that rates Whitner well. It's a well known fact that he allowed a massive % of the touchdowns against the 49ers last year and he was generally terrible in coverage.

why do you think their evaluations are good? it might be easy to do on OL/DL/QB/RB....DB's are tough to do...u need to know the play and what everyone is responsible for on that play

whitner plays strong assignment football, he's a leader and he knows the defense and what everyone should be doing on a play. he's not the one missing assignments..it was goldson

trenton robinson i believe is being groomed to take over (maybe next year) to pair up w/ eric reid
Well I guess my question to you is why do you think your evaluation is more accurate? These guys do this for a living and as a full time job and are just about universally considered the experts at player grading and evaluation for the general public. Their player evaluations are used by probably every team in the league, let alone ESPN and NFL network, etc..
[ Edited by Disp on Jul 19, 2013 at 1:11 PM ]
I , like many others recognize Joecool as a good analyst of football and talent. Here we depart. Joe correctly stated, our best hitting safety , Goldson was a non starter the moment contract came up. The bucs got a great tackler. Coverage? unh unh. Which brings us to Donte. Again really good tackler, but like goldson, really poor in coverage. And in today's NFL , that means not for long. You gotta be able to cover. Goldson tackled like a train, but it was always after the pass was completed...and that didn't help us very much. Whitner's stop in the Saints game a while back was a classic. A lot like Bunz on the goal line, preventing a TD . But Bunz wasn't a cover guy and Whitner is. End of story. Question is just who exactly is going to play SS? With Whitner we know what we have in coverage...a weak link, and don't think Ds won't know where to throw to. Jeez we had a bucketful of CB/Ss in camp, and I think Coach H is hoping to put a talent out there, altho probably he doesn't know yet if we have someone who can cover better than Whitner or not. Hence TC and PS. Whitner may very well end up back out there, but if so, we are going to have the same vulnerable backfield we have had two yrs running now...altho it will be better with Reid instead of Goldson, coverage wise.
Originally posted by NCommand:
LOL. He shouldn't be here THIS year! 14 TD's buddy including responsibility for the first 3 in the Superbowl.

Love the dude but he absolutely BLOWS in coverage esp. in the RZ and sadly, teams will continue to isolate him.


LOL this
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Whitner has been very solid against the run and a team leader...that said, he'll continue to get exploited in this increasingly pass-happy NFL. How about this for a flier of an idea? Whitner and a high draft choice (maybe the one we get from KC?) to Buffalo for Jairus Byrd, who I've heard could be available in a sign-and-trade situation. I like the thought of rolling out Eric Reid and Byrd as our Safeties...the only problem is we'd have to pay Byrd and we have others to pay, obviously. Maybe Byrd would take Top 5 Safety money (instead of Top 3) to come to a winning organization like the Niners?


Sounds good..but also sounds like defeating the purpose of letting Goldson walk. If Byrd is supposed to be a better safety than Goldson, he'd demand even more money than him.
Originally posted by Disp:
Well I guess my question to you is why do you think your evaluation is more accurate? These guys do this for a living and as a full time job and are just about universally considered the experts at player grading and evaluation for the general public. Their player evaluations are used by probably every team in the league, let alone ESPN and NFL network, etc..

I highly doubt harbaugh and company give a rats ass about what you or pff have to say, as well as any other coaching staff. The fact is we had plenty of options in FA and the draft to replace whitner and we didn't. period.
[ Edited by JimDrinkAMiller on Jul 19, 2013 at 2:25 PM ]
I would have loved to move Goldson over and draft a FS. Goldson wanted to cash out though. Whitner has been over hyped since he got here. He can hit hard but he is always late to the party, in coverage and run support.
It's funny that people call whitner the weak link in a secondary that has carlos rogers as the number 1 corner.. not to mention the fact that nobody has seen reid play but everyone is just going to assume he is already better than whitner..

I can see rodgers in the huddle right now saying we need to attack whitner because pff tells us he is the weak link, nevermind the rookie or rogers..

ridiculousness...
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
everytime I see Ravens footage of the superbowl , this dude is getting BUTTFVCKED IN THE END ZONE.

Not just the Raven's highights...it's LITERALLY every single sniplet play on us on NFL Network. I think they showed all 14 TD's.
Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:
I highly doubt harbaugh and company give a rats ass about what you or pff have to say, as well as any other coaching staffs. The fact is we had plenty of options in FA and the draft to replace whitner and we didn't. period.

Really? What good SS's were available in free agency, and are you implying that starting 2 rookie safeties this year was a realistic option?
Originally posted by Disp:
Well I guess my question to you is why do you think your evaluation is more accurate? These guys do this for a living and as a full time job and are just about universally considered the experts at player grading and evaluation for the general public. Their player evaluations are used by probably every team in the league, let alone ESPN and NFL network, etc..

9ers didn't replace whitner, they could've
Originally posted by NCommand:
Not just the Raven's highights...it's LITERALLY every single sniplet play on us on NFL Network. I think they showed all 14 TD's.

c'mon ncommand, whitner plays strong assignment football.....he's not missing assignments others are