LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 243 users in the forums

Whitner unhappy?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ghostrider:
IMO, Whitner was the reason we beat the Saint's in the 2011 playoffs. The Saints were driving and his game changing hit (and subsequent turnover) completely 180'd the game in our favor... and the Saints never recovered. If this play doesn't happen, I don't think we win this game.

Lulz, what? They came back and took the lead late in the 4th.
IMO, Whitner was the reason we beat the Saint's in the 2011 playoffs. The Saints were driving and his game changing hit (and subsequent turnover) completely 180'd the game in our favor... and the Saints never recovered. If this play doesn't happen, I don't think we win this game.

Too bad his primary job is to cover rather than have one career knockout tackle. I think he didn't make 4 or 5 plays in the superbowl to help us lose it.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Lulz, what? They came back and took the lead late in the 4th.

Yes they did, but I think they would have been winning by a huge margin had this play not happened.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Too bad his primary job is to cover rather than have one career knockout tackle. I think he didn't make 4 or 5 plays in the superbowl to help us lose it.

I'm not going to argue for his play in the SB. There was more than enough terrible play to go around. I'm only trying to say that he's a decent player who plays hard for us. There's no reason he deserves to be the modern day Webzone Kwame Harris (who absolutely deserved every ounce of ridicule he got) or Derek Smith.

That being said, I don't think he's back next year. We need to pay Kaep so we can't keep everyone.
[ Edited by ghostrider on Jul 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM ]
Originally posted by adamcarrillo85:
49ers are gonna have Salary Cap problems Next Season I wouldnt be surprised if 49ers Clean House like the Ravens next season

Someone has no idea what they are talking about. Please don't let the door hit you on the way out. AB can say for sure but I think we have 20+ million in cap space for next year at this point in time.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
49ers are gonna have Salary Cap problems Next Season I wouldnt be surprised if 49ers Clean House like the Ravens next season

Someone has no idea what they are talking about. Please don't let the door hit you on the way out. AB can say for sure but I think we have 20+ million in cap space for next year at this point in time.

Yeah, no reason to clean house like the Ravens. We're in good shape, but we have to prioritize who we want to re-sign/give extensions to because Kaep is going to get his.

Knowing how Harbs and Baalke seem to like to invest in injured players (buying low), I wouldn't be totally surprised if they try to re-sign Crabs next year before he's 100% to try to get a good deal. I would think they'd be more inclined to spend the money there than on Whitner.

Yeah because then Alex would have had to lead the team from behind which isn't always one of his strengths.
Whitner has been very solid against the run and a team leader...that said, he'll continue to get exploited in this increasingly pass-happy NFL. How about this for a flier of an idea? Whitner and a high draft choice (maybe the one we get from KC?) to Buffalo for Jairus Byrd, who I've heard could be available in a sign-and-trade situation. I like the thought of rolling out Eric Reid and Byrd as our Safeties...the only problem is we'd have to pay Byrd and we have others to pay, obviously. Maybe Byrd would take Top 5 Safety money (instead of Top 3) to come to a winning organization like the Niners?
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

No way we do that. Our personnel and cap management is a notch above theirs in recent years. We still have ample cap space remaining this year to extend someone long term thanks to Justin smith. Plus we have a boatload of picks. No way we blow this team up. We are set to add talent to the roster

the ravens got better in the off-season not worse
Originally posted by Joecool:

lol

And if Alex and the offense didn't come back to win that game Whitner would have been the goat of the season for not just tackling Graham on that long td that gave the Saints the lead.
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
He has been solid for us but not sure about extending him. Move Reid to SS and sign Earl Thomas as a FA??? So gonna do it on Madden 25...lol

LOL at solid. He's a breed of safety that is disappearing. As intelligent as he and as good as his abilities in stopping the run are, his poor coverage skills can't be disguised against quality passing offenses, he's an automatic liability and becomes the focal point of teams looking to move the ball on the 49ers. In a passing league, you need two safeties with solid coverage skills. The days of the strong safeties who play close to the line and act like undersized linebackers are on life support.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jul 19, 2013 at 12:31 PM ]
Right now he is key because he is the captain of the secondary, but there is no doubt he is a weak link in coverage. Thank god for the emergence of Kaep cause our offense is gonna be leaned upon to keep us in some high scoring games.
Here we go again with the 49er safety bashing. Some of you people are ridiculous and have no idea what it takes to play that position. I say to most of you. Watch other teams play. fing homers!!!! There's not a safety in the league that doesn't get beat in coverage from game to game. In a pass happy league there is no way around it. Not to mention hes a fing strong safety!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate to wonder how bad you guys are going to cry when the rookie is getting torched back there this season. And all of this "he's a breed of safety that is disappearing is absolutely hilarious." That must be why the 49ers as well as countless other teams in the league all drafted PHYSICAL hard hitting players this season. WOW you all sit here and suck Seattle fans pricks about their safeties and then sit here and cry about our own players. Sickening!
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Here we go again with the 49er safety bashing. Some of you people are ridiculous and have no idea what it takes to play that position. I say to most of you. Watch other teams play. fing homers!!!! There's not a safety in the league that doesn't get beat in coverage from game to game. In a pass happy league there is no way around it. Not to mention hes a fing strong safety!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate to wonder how bad you guys are going to cry when the rookie is getting torched back there this season. And all of this "he's a breed of safety that is disappearing is absolutely hilarious." That must be why the 49ers as well as countless other teams in the league all drafted PHYSICAL hard hitting players this season. WOW you all sit here and suck Seattle fans pricks about their safeties and then sit here and cry about our own players. Sickening!

too bad there isnt a rag emoticon
Share 49ersWebzone