There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Happy 90th birthday to former Niners play-by-play announcer, Lon Simmons

Wish I was old enough to have heard this guy call games. Despite not hearing it live, his call of Young's wild romp through the Viking defense in '88 is still one of my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG_OCaKeiU8

TV announcers should take a cue from guys like this.
Happy Birthday to a true Bay Area legend. Tell it goodbye! Always enjoyed listening to him.
Always wished the Niners/KNBR had gotten Jon Miller instead of Ted Robinson to do the games after Starkey retired....I like my radio play-by-play guys to have distinctive voices (a la Simmons & Starkey, and for the east bay Bill King) and Miller beats Robinson on this handily....Robinson is getting better though and has grown on me, so I guess his voice is aging like a fine wine.

Anyways, HBD Lon and many more years to come....Niners will hopefully get you #6!
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Jul 19, 2013 at 9:21 AM ]
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Always wished the Niners/KNBR had gotten Jon Miller instead of Ted Robinson to do the games after Starkey retired....I like my radio play-by-play guys to have distinctive voices (a la Simmons & Starkey, and for the east bay Bill King) and Miller beats Robinson on this handily....Robinson is getting better though and has grown on me, so I guess his voice is aging like a fine wine.

Anyways, HBD Lon and many more years to come....Niners will hopefully get you #6!

Dont get me wrong, Jon Miller is awesome... but he's got a baseball voice
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Happy Birthday you old fart.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
i never want to be 90
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,000 for Furlow.
Best announcer of all time!
Lon Simmons is in the broadcaster's HOF for good reason...he was the voice of the SF Giants, Oakland A's and Niners in his brilliant career. Have to agree, his call of Young's helter-skelter run vs the Vikes is one of the pure classics in sports broadcasting. You'd be hard-pressed to find a more knowledgeable broadcaster and his passion was unmatched, IMHO. Happy 90th, Lon, you are a Bay Area treasure.

Happy Birthday to Ron Simmons!!