LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Sac Bee Reports Culliver In Long-Term Plans; T.Brown Not In Plans, Brock's Future

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Agreed, Rogers needs to leave and Brown and Culliver need to stay... Period
Monday afternoon, Matt Maiocco reported a source told him the San Francisco 49ers "plan to enter into talks with [Chris] Culliver's representation on a contract extension this offseason." Culliver is entering the final year of his rookie contract. He will earn $1,431,000, and is eligible for a new deal as per the collective bargaining agreement. His salary climbed to that number because of the proven performance escalator.

Good chance to get a long-term deal done at an affordable price.
Yep, I figured Culliver and Miller should be next. Kap will take time. Anyways, this is typical us. We re-sign him this offseason coming off an injury we can get him for a Brock deal or around there. We wait and don't take a leap of faith and he plays like he did in 2012 we have to pay twice as much. I hope we get him locked up for 4-5 years this offseason. Miller as well, now would be the time to sign him. Pretty clear Culliver and Brock are the future at CB if all goes according to plan.

Hopefully by the time the season starts Culliver, Miller and Kap are locked up long term. Crabtree could be during the season. Other than that I could see us signing Osgood around the start of the season depending on if there is room for him. I don't think they are in any hurry to re-sign him he probably wants to be back. He's one of those wait and see how things play out type players but I'd prefer to bring him back.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 17, 2014 at 6:48 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Monday afternoon, Matt Maiocco reported a source told him the San Francisco 49ers "plan to enter into talks with [Chris] Culliver's representation on a contract extension this offseason." Culliver is entering the final year of his rookie contract. He will earn $1,431,000, and is eligible for a new deal as per the collective bargaining agreement. His salary climbed to that number because of the proven performance escalator.

Good chance to get a long-term deal done at an affordable price.

How is Cully's contract higher than Kaps? Same year later pick no?
Originally posted by SportsFan:

Performance bonuses.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SportsFan:

Performance bonuses.

Must have had a better agent. But honestly Cully has essentially had a near starting role 2 seasons straight. Kap has about 1.5 years starting
Cully was steadily improving. Sure he wasn't perfect, the holding penalty was BS , but kept getting better.

And let's say he isn't 100 percent of where he left off, he also has S experience.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I think Miller should be next to be extended other than Kap who takes some time. I'm thinking they could be trying to get Culliver signed for 4-5 years as the CB of the future because if they do it now he would be much cheaper than if we wait until after this year and he plays like he did in 2011 and 2012. He could get 4-5 years 25-30 million but if we sign him now we could get him closer to 4 years at say 15-18, close to Brock's deal. We used that strategy in taking a leap of faith for Kilgore, McDonald, Boone, Staley, Ian Williams and some other players and it paid off. So if it's up to me I'm looking at re-signing Miller, Crabtree, Kap, and Culliver next. Might even let Culliver play a few games and then re-sign him, could be early in the year and we would still get a better deal than if we waited until the end of the year.

P.S. Thanks NCommand I know the winning lottery numbers but I'd rather use my gift to predict who the 49ers will re-sign and for how much.

Good man! LOL. You need to get in here and state your team needs/predictions: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/177313-2014-team-needs-updates/

So does Gore_21 get a medal for correctly predicting that BRUUUUUUCE was our next player to be extended?
Originally posted by sfout:
So does Gore_21 get a medal for correctly predicting that BRUUUUUUCE was our next player to be extended?

I think we all are starting to understand Baalke a little bit better. Look at our draft game last year where we picked 20 players we could draft and a boat load had 3-5 and a few of us had 6. Many had UDFA's we picked up later. Like I mentioned in years past the winner would have 2, with most of us having 0 or 1.

A few things I have noticed:
1. Keep an eye on players we bring in for a private workout or have an interview/dinner with. It's likely that we will draft 1-2 of these guys or pick them up as UDFA. 2. In the draft long arms for a player are a bonus and we aren't afraid to take someone who is injured and have them sit out a 1/2 the year to the year. Our team is loaded enough to be able to have one or more of our picks not contribute their first year.
3. We have been taking a leap of faith on our up and coming players. Extend them before they break out or with them coming off an injury. This allows us to get them for 1/2 the price we normally would. (Boone, Williams, Kilgore, Miller, Brock, etc)
4. In free agency don't expect high priced guys. Look for bargain players at positions of need.
5. We like to sign or trade for guys we had interest in the past drafts. (example Cook, Gabbert) Many we believe have high potential but haven't reached it. We are willing to take on projects to get the most out of them as long as the cost isn't too steep.
6. We all know that we like to re-sign our own in free agency but we have to be choosey. You can't give every one of your FA's a huge contract like Jerry Jones does. Pick the guys with the best value at the right age.

And I hope Culliver is next at 4-5 years around Brock money but probably more. 18 at the least, 22 at the most is my guess. If we wait and he plays like he did in 2012 he would probably get 25-35+ million on the open market or from us. I don't expect Kap or Culliver to be extended before June 2nd when the 6.6 mil from Rogers is available. As for Kap I figured 5 years 75 million is what he should get but its probably going to me more like 5 years 90 million or 6 years 100 million.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I think Miller should be next to be extended other than Kap who takes some time. I'm thinking they could be trying to get Culliver signed for 4-5 years as the CB of the future because if they do it now he would be much cheaper than if we wait until after this year and he plays like he did in 2011 and 2012. He could get 4-5 years 25-30 million but if we sign him now we could get him closer to 4 years at say 15-18, close to Brock's deal. We used that strategy in taking a leap of faith for Kilgore, McDonald, Boone, Staley, Ian Williams and some other players and it paid off. So if it's up to me I'm looking at re-signing Miller, Crabtree, Kap, and Culliver next. Might even let Culliver play a few games and then re-sign him, could be early in the year and we would still get a better deal than if we waited until the end of the year.

P.S. Thanks NCommand I know the winning lottery numbers but I'd rather use my gift to predict who the 49ers will re-sign and for how much.

Good man! LOL. You need to get in here and state your team needs/predictions: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/177313-2014-team-needs-updates/

I'm down. And Gore_21 certainly has a firm grasp of the Baalke-way! Well done...

• sfout
  • Veteran
I think we all are starting to understand Baalke a little bit better. Look at our draft game last year where we picked 20 players we could draft and a boat load had 3-5 and a few of us had 6. Many had UDFA's we picked up later. Like I mentioned in years past the winner would have 2, with most of us having 0 or 1.

A few things I have noticed:
1. Keep an eye on players we bring in for a private workout or have an interview/dinner with. It's likely that we will draft 1-2 of these guys or pick them up as UDFA. 2. In the draft long arms for a player are a bonus and we aren't afraid to take someone who is injured and have them sit out a 1/2 the year to the year. Our team is loaded enough to be able to have one or more of our picks not contribute their first year.
3. We have been taking a leap of faith on our up and coming players. Extend them before they break out or with them coming off an injury. This allows us to get them for 1/2 the price we normally would. (Boone, Williams, Kilgore, Miller, Brock, etc)
4. In free agency don't expect high priced guys. Look for bargain players at positions of need.
5. We like to sign or trade for guys we had interest in the past drafts. (example Cook, Gabbert) Many we believe have high potential but haven't reached it. We are willing to take on projects to get the most out of them as long as the cost isn't too steep.
6. We all know that we like to re-sign our own in free agency but we have to be choosey. You can't give every one of your FA's a huge contract like Jerry Jones does. Pick the guys with the best value at the right age.

And I hope Culliver is next at 4-5 years around Brock money but probably more. 18 at the least, 22 at the most is my guess. If we wait and he plays like he did in 2012 he would probably get 25-35+ million on the open market or from us. I don't expect Kap or Culliver to be extended before June 2nd when the 6.6 mil from Rogers is available. As for Kap I figured 5 years 75 million is what he should get but its probably going to me more like 5 years 90 million or 6 years 100 million.

All good points.

To point #1. I've noticed this trend as well. Also the broader picture is that we draft or sign roughly 1/6 of the players we bring in for visits or privately work out. Last year it was 6/37 -- year before I think it was slightly higher.

With the report that he (cully) will definitely be getting into discussions for an extension this season I think the FO may go a bit higher than Brock's offer but have it be filled with escalators relating to snaps played, passes defensed -- a Brooks-esque deal. Brock's seems fairly straight forward but to reiterate I think they will give Cully a near open market deal but have it be incredibly team friendly and put the onus squarely on Cully to stay healthy and productive.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I thought about this thread. LOL...we are f**ked.

Thanks Baalke.
What does Baalke have to do with it?
  • thl408
Re-sign him now. He will come cheap.

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
What does Baalke have to do with it?

^^^ This, it isn't Baalke's fault Culliver is a f**king moron and dumbass. Kid was fine first season, then opened his damn mouth, now this.

Brown is and will be overrated In my eyes. Rogers is too old, and not worth $8-9M he was getting.
Share 49ersWebzone