There are 167 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Sac Bee Reports Culliver In Long-Term Plans; T.Brown Not In Plans, Brock's Future

Agreed - it is not that the team doesn't like Brown, he will just be expensive because he is the best cover guy on the team for the moment and this will be the contract that he makes the big bucks. I think he is underrated and hope we can keep him, but we better get used to losing a guy or two every year that we want to keep because we're not going to be able to re-sign all the crazy talent we currently have. That is why we need to win it all this year - we have the best roster in the league top to bottom and the system is not set up for it to stay like that for long. We have to cash it in while we can!
I like brown too ,,,but I dont think we will break the bank to keep him , cause somebody will overpay for his services when he is a free agent
Money will go towards Iupati and Aldon before Brown.
I guess this makes sense... TB will eventually become a cap casualty. And really, Culliver did have a great year, minus the Super Bowl (and SB week for that matter). Hopefully he can bring it again this year. He has the size to combat larger WRs, where TB and CR are better suited for the small, shifty WRs.
T Brown was rated by PFF last season as the Niners best corner. They had him rated very highly in the league. I just don't think the Niners believe they'll be able to match what he can get on the free agent market next year. The other thing is that I think Baalke wants to get bigger and more physical at the corners. IMO, the only thing lacking in Culliver's game is finding the ball when it's in the air. I'm guessing they work on that a lot this off season.
T brown >>>> Rogers
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
T brown >>>> Rogers

Neither will be on the 49ers roster for the first game next season. Brown will walk and Rogers will likely get cut. I expect the 49ers to draft 2 Cbs in the next draft.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
T brown >>>> Rogers

Neither will be on the 49ers roster for the first game next season. Brown will walk and Rogers will likely get cut. I expect the 49ers to draft 2 Cbs in the next draft.

I agree... CB / S / WR will be a revolving door the next few years.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
It wasn't just one game, and it wasn't just Culliver. Our entire secondary got burned repeatedly with the lob ball all season. It just showed up more when our pass rush went into the tank late in the season. I like Culliver and I'm not saying he sucks or is a clown or whatever but lets face it, he has a long way to go. Brown is by far and away our best cover corner.

To me a lot of those issues come down to Whitner being turrible in coverage, put a lot more pressure on the entire secondary as we saw in the SB.
Damn I like Brown. He's the one CB that has improved every year. s**t. breakout year or him.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
T Brown was rated by PFF last season as the Niners best corner. They had him rated very highly in the league. I just don't think the Niners believe they'll be able to match what he can get on the free agent market next year. The other thing is that I think Baalke wants to get bigger and more physical at the corners. IMO, the only thing lacking in Culliver's game is finding the ball when it's in the air. I'm guessing they work on that a lot this off season.

#13. He was the 13th best corner in the league according to PFF. Plus he clutched for us in SB. So we try real hard to keep him. Please.
The Eric Wright acquisition may signal the end of Brock.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Knee jerk reaction to one game. Really one play where he should have had safety help over the top. Entire defense played like s**t.

It wasn't just one game, and it wasn't just Culliver. Our entire secondary got burned repeatedly with the lob ball all season. It just showed up more when our pass rush went into the tank late in the season. I like Culliver and I'm not saying he sucks or is a clown or whatever but lets face it, he has a long way to go. Brown is by far and away our best cover corner.

Cully shut down some of the best WR's in the game through the regular season. IMO the problem with the secondary was at the S position, not the CB position. thats hy i was fine with Goldson leaving, and desperately wanted to draft two S. Whitner needs to be replaced ASAP. Neither Goldson nor Whitner are great in coverage, and were indeed liabilitys in the post season. They were out of position alot, blew assignments, and frankly got exploited.
Originally posted by corona55569:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Cully is and will be the most naturally gifted and talented CB on the roster. He needs to improve on a few things, but they are things that can indeed be coached. Two years from now this guy will be one of the steals of his draft class if not already.
How do you teach natural ball instincts when the ball is in the air? That appears to be cully's biggest issue, it's more a confidence thing especially at the corner position .. Game day is a bit different knocking down a deep pass without panicking as opposed to practice/or being coached up .. I hope cully gets his swag/mojo back ..

First and foremost you have to have the talent and ability to blanket WR's and be in position to succeed. Cully has this ability and is very rarely caught out of position. CB is differant than S. If you have those abilitys i mentioned it is posible to coach and develop the ability to know when to track the ball at the CB position. "natural ball instincts" is more of a FS trait than a CB trait. Everything Cully lacks is very coachable and developable. I have never understood the hate for the kid. He was a steal in the draft, and long term will likely be the #1 CB on the roster, i actually feel he is already, and im a fan of Browns.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Terrell Brown not apart of future plans? Why the hell not?

I thought he was our best corner

Look at our cap and the players we need to extend. Brown is gonna get a nice payday from another team that the niners wont be able to match.

All the Cully hate is ruhtarded, seems like he may have put too much pressure on himself in the post season but hes been a stud for the most part the past two years. Once he learns the timing on when to turn around and find the ball in the air he'll be fine. He's made countless plays in the past and helped shut down some of the better receivers when matched up one on one.

Besides, NFL rules with PI, it's much more efficient to invest your big money into pass-rushers than corners. Trend in the NFL. These days you don't just have one pass-rusher but you need 2 or 3 to be effective. Brown is also somewhat undersized in today's NFL. As WRs and TEs become bigger and faster, the days of the outside 5'10 corner are numbered.
[ Edited by NinerGM on Jul 20, 2013 at 11:51 AM ]