LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 210 users in the forums

Gang of Four: Luck, RGIII, Wilson, Kap rankings 2012/2013

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9482930/bill-barnwell-breaks-nfl-young-elite-quarterbacks

Great piece about the "Gang of Four: Luck, RGIII, Wilson, Kap"

Barnwell ranks their 2012's and who will have the best 2013 season. Great piece that you should check out. Its great to read objective feedback from a national sports writer. Anyone on ninersnation would say Kap is the best, Sando would list Wilson, Stampede Blue would list Luck and Hogs Heaven would list RGIII. All 4 would be right and really there is no clear answer on 7/17/13. I think all 4 teams feel VERY confident in the future of the QB position and would not trade their guy for anyone not named Aaron Rogers.

As far as 2012....
Wilson really did have an amazing end of the year, the numbers reflect that. Sure one of those games was against the Bills who Alex Smith carved up, but still, he beat us up pretty good too.

Kap had some tough games down the stretch especially going to NE who never loses at home in December, was on a 7 game win streak and just beat the tar out of the Texans at home the week before. Kap faced adversity better than all 4 of the QB's in my mind.

I knew RGIII had a sick year, just didn't realize HOW sick, WOW!

Luck is a true gunslinger.

For 2013, as it stands today, you would have to agree with Wilson being in the best position to succeed in 2013. He was masterful at the end of the year and added Harvin to an already deep WR core. With Lynch scaring teams, Wilson will still have plenty of 1-1 matchups on the outside to exploit. The kid is cool and calm under pressure and is much more advanced than Kap at going through his reads. Hopefully Colin makes a big leap this year and stops staring down his receivers. If it wasn't for Colin's gun, his numbers would be a lot worse. If he can combine that arm with better vision and recognition, I think he has the biggest upside of the 4, but not having Crabs in 2013 will be a challenge for sure. Lets see if the mad scientist Jimbo can mold this piece of clay into a masterpiece!!!! If I was a bettin man for who would be better long term, Id push all my chips in on the CK square!!!

LETS GOO!!!!
[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on Jul 17, 2013 at 1:14 PM ]
Cam Newton has a sad.
man, i hope that kaep separates himself from the other three losers.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Luck and Griffin are not losers.
Read this. In the end he picks Wilson as his top guy. But he only writes off Kap because of Crabtree.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Read this. In the end he picks Wilson as his top guy. But he only writes off Kap because of Crabtree.

and lack of a full season
Originally posted by Joecool:
Cam Newton has a sad.

Pretty much, he seems to be forgotten. After almost being on the cover of Madden to 'who dat'.
Originally posted by SportsFan:

How could he pick Wilson as his top guy from these four? If you really watched each player last year and know football, Wilson falls in at #4 behind Luck, Kap, and RGIII. I feel Wilson will be behind these three in the years ahead, too. Yes, Wilson did great for a rookie in leading his team, keeping his poise inside and out of the pocket, scrambling around to keep plays alive, and producing TDs instead of turnovers. But I keep hearing how great he did down the stretch...this came against teams like the Bills, Cardinals (both incredibly bad), and a badly struggling Bears team (barely pulled that one out). Sure, he had a good game against our worn down team after the NE game and also w/out Justin Smith. If you actually watched his throws last year, he had very many where he threw it up almost like a jump ball and his WRs made the plays somehow (I'm not even counting the "Fail Mary" game). I really think he comes back down to earth this year...even more so with the schedule they have this year vs. last. I think he'll be solid but not spectacular.
RG3 was tops last year...his knee couldnt handle his amazingness...Kaep is the future for sure though
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Interesting Article. Clearly wrong if he doesn't pick Kaepernick!

Giedi

I rank it Luck RG3 Kaep Wilson
Luck doesn't get enough credit, dude is a stud. He sees the field better than any of the 4. If I were a GM and had to draft one of these guys for the long term it would be Luck, Kaep, rg3, Wilson. Love Kaep but Luck is the safest bet to make it through a 16 game season regularly without any injuries.
[ Edited by 5280High on Jul 17, 2013 at 6:48 PM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I rank it Luck RG3 Kaep Wilson

RG3 is not better than Kaep at anything. Based on what? Kaep is bigger, stronger, faster, stronger arm, just as accurate. He's taller and less injured. There is not one thing RG3 is better at. Not 1.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jul 17, 2013 at 10:45 PM ]
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Luck and Griffin are not losers.

Luck won't be. RG3 might not last much longer playing the way he plays and being a twig.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Cam Newton has a sad.

he's very inconsistent
Share 49ersWebzone