LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 229 users in the forums

Read Option WON'T catch teams by surprise this year

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This thread fails to deliver...

The pistol is not the same as the read option and its blatantly obvious that the coaches have instructed CK to slide if he doesnt have an open lane. I can only recall 2 times that defenders were able to square up on him and he was still able to protect himself.
Perhaps I'm overly optimistic, but I feel like defense's keying in on the read option (thus taking it away) will open up more options for our offense -- no pun intended -- making this team even more dangerous.

But that's just me
We don't need it, but we will attack teams with it when they are vulnerable against it.
[ Edited by blizzuntz on Jul 9, 2013 at 9:43 PM ]
Let them "be ready" for the read option, that means that outside contain needs to stay outside, Frank will enjoy running in a less crowded middle of the field. Then once they stop "being ready" the read and start crashing on Frank, Kaep will do what he does, because he knows he will get either way, and that's what he gets paid for!
Bring back the Tazer fwiw IMHO
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Well lucky for Kaepernick that he can pass from the pocket just as good as any QB out there.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by NinerGod:
We don't run the read option so I'm not sure why it matters.

Actually we do. We run the pistol as part of our offense and use the read option as a staple of that formation. You would know if youve been watching the past year...

Jim Harbaugh disagrees with you.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Perhaps I'm overly optimistic, but I feel like defense's keying in on the read option (thus taking it away) will open up more options for our offense -- no pun intended -- making this team even more dangerous.

But that's just me

Uuuuuh, good defenses will read our options, then Kap will go to another option after he reads their body language...

The aftermath, we will often watch highlights and read how Niners offense smoke defenses by reading and options
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:

But that's just me

Uuuuuh, good defenses will read our options, then Kap will go to another option after he reads their body language...

The aftermath, we will often watch highlights and read how Niners offense smoke defenses by reading and options

I like your moves.

I like your style.

Originally posted by 5280High:
This thread fails to deliver...

The pistol is not the same as the read option and its blatantly obvious that the coaches have instructed CK to slide if he doesnt have an open lane. I can only recall 2 times that defenders were able to square up on him and he was still able to protect himself.

This. We don't run the pistol, not the read. /thread

The pistol read option is deadly because Kap is such a good QB, not the other way around. That, and because they scheme it very very well. When he is in the pistol, they can run almost anything from the WCO out of it, Kap can play action out of it, or he can burn you for a 70 yard TD out of it. There is so much to prepare for, and teams will likely face something they haven't seen before. As long as they don't bite themselves in the ass repeatedly *cough*superbowl*cough*, it's hard to stop this offense.
I bought ESPN's fantasy football magazine this year. They had a real interesting article on mobile QBs. I don't have the magazine at home atm, it's at my dad's house, but this is what I remember from it.

When taking off with the football, the below players take a hit how often:

Cam Newton takes a hit on around 70% of his runes.
RGIII about 55%
Russell Wilson about 50%
And Kaepernick was around 45%

Kaep takes gets down more than he gets hit. That means when Kaep is running with it, he's looking to get down or get out of bounds. And of those hits, how many are really hard? I'm not worried at all, especially with Kaep being the big guy he is.

However, we use the read option sparingly. We use it a lot against defenses that favor man coverage, like the Green Bay Packers, and rarely use it against dominant defensive teams, like Seattle or Baltimore (though the Ravens' defense isn't as great as it used to be).

It's just one package in our versatile offense. You'll see it a lot some games. You won't see it at all in others.

I ain't skeered.
This is like saying Play Action won't catch teams by surprise this year.
I dont know if it will or not. Play action, read option, pistol, I said this, when all this hubub about these formations started (more read, and pistol). I have to say I agree with, Young, Montana, Jerry, and even Tomlin, and Rodgers, in that this is just the flavor of the month, and will fade eventually just like the wildcat. Qbing is about passing, it's as simple as that, and just as long as kaep can do that, which he has shown he can, then he'll be fine. Im more curious to see him in pre-season and see if he's gotten better in reading defenses. Because if he capitalizes on that, it doesnt matter what formations we use.

Kap is light years better from the pocket, and when he needs to scramble he picks up huge yards anyway.

Agreed. I think he's more dangerous dropping back, both for passing and scrambling.
Share 49ersWebzone