LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

Off-Season Post #2: Thoughts as we wind down the off-season (Pre-Training Camp)...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marvin49:
That is actually very true. I'm sure some of his father is in there as well. My overall point tho was that reminded me of Walsh and Ditka in terms of how he handles the media.

IMO Jim is really in a class of his own how he handles things, I really think his teachers when he was still in grade school were onto something when they suggested ritalin for him.
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
Great post. There are only two errors that I feel the need to mention here:

1) When last year was David Akers a member of the Rams?
2) The SF OC is Greg Roman, not Mark Roman.

Other than that, great post! Thanks.

On the first I said there were 3 players who contributed to the fiasco. I didn't say they were all Rams.

As for the second...oops.
Originally posted by leon49:
On offense there are a ton of candidates. Jeep Chryst? The Oline coach he brought from Stanford (his name is escaping me).

Mike Solari

No. The other one. We have 2. Drevno? I can't remember his name and I'm on
My phone so I can't check.
Originally posted by leon49:
On offense there are a ton of candidates. Jeep Chryst? The Oline coach he brought from Stanford (his name is escaping me).

Mike Solari

No. The other one. We have 2. Drevno? I can't remember his name and I'm on
My phone so I can't check.

That would be Tim Drevno
I think Dorsey will be big for us. It won't show up on the stat sheet, but he was great at stopping the run and was surrounded by lesser talent in KC. A big upgrade over Soap IMO. He will free Bo and WIllis to do their thing and Ray Mac, Justin and Aldon will be able to apply more pressure as well.
Thanks Marv - fine post!
Another 2 items that you touched on in a number of places but not as a category.

The Front Office

Baalke/Parrage andothers. The job they've accomplished is incredible. They've resigned our top players and have others right in line. They've managed the cap, the draft. FA, a new stadium, and on and on.

Ownership

Jed is doing a VERY good job. Low profile, staying out of football decisions and letting the experts do what they're being paid to do.

Thanks again Marv.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Nice Post!

1) I agree that Kaep's wardrobe issue and response were not ideal, but I don't really care. I'm sure this doesn't happen again, and it becomes a non-issue. The main focus for me this year is seeing if Kaep can become a consistent passer in the pocket, as I believe teams will play him like the Falcons and Ravens did. He did play well in both of those games.

2) I think this years' draft and some of last years' draft will have some impact, but overall, we're still a few years away from seeing major impact. I think I'm higher on McDonald than you are, we'll have to wait and see.

3) Losing Crabs sucks, but it will require Kaep to be less Crabtree-sentric, which will be a good thing long term. Still, tough loss. I do think it's interesting that Vegas didn't change the line at all after he went down. QBs are really the only position that changes things (or an elite talent like Calvin or AP).

4) FA - meh... wait and see. Other than extending Justin, which was great. Man crush there!!

5) I think the Pistol will be used, but as a package like other packages. But I don't think we'll get any super long runs like Minny preseason, Miami, or GB playoff games. I do think he can get some scramble TDs though.

6) I agree that 'what we think' is rarely 'what is', but it's hard to argue that the NFCW isn't really good. And I'm more concerned about the Rams than you are.

7) Top 3 Coaching Staffs in the League... moving on...

8) Future looks bright, if Tank / Dorsey / Dial can replace Justin. Fingers X-ed. Aldon will have to improve his game too (especially without Justin).

9) Not worried about what history says. We are a contender and that's all that matters at this stage.

10) Over/Under number of 'light out' situations

Don't get me wrong...I really like McDonald. Long arms and good doped for his size. Looks to be a good athlete as well.

My point is just that he's different from Walker. He's more of a classic TE than Walker was. It'll be different. Maybe it'll be better. Dunno. Just saying he's a different type of player.

Ya, I guess it remains to be seen. I may also be 'typical Webzone over-hype mode' on McDonald, but I see really good things for him.
Nice Post!

1) I agree that Kaep's wardrobe issue and response were not ideal, but I don't really care. I'm sure this doesn't happen again, and it becomes a non-issue. The main focus for me this year is seeing if Kaep can become a consistent passer in the pocket, as I believe teams will play him like the Falcons and Ravens did. He did play well in both of those games.

2) I think this years' draft and some of last years' draft will have some impact, but overall, we're still a few years away from seeing major impact. I think I'm higher on McDonald than you are, we'll have to wait and see.

3) Losing Crabs sucks, but it will require Kaep to be less Crabtree-sentric, which will be a good thing long term. Still, tough loss. I do think it's interesting that Vegas didn't change the line at all after he went down. QBs are really the only position that changes things (or an elite talent like Calvin or AP).

4) FA - meh... wait and see. Other than extending Justin, which was great. Man crush there!!

5) I think the Pistol will be used, but as a package like other packages. But I don't think we'll get any super long runs like Minny preseason, Miami, or GB playoff games. I do think he can get some scramble TDs though.

6) I agree that 'what we think' is rarely 'what is', but it's hard to argue that the NFCW isn't really good. And I'm more concerned about the Rams than you are.

7) Top 3 Coaching Staffs in the League... moving on...

8) Future looks bright, if Tank / Dorsey / Dial can replace Justin. Fingers X-ed. Aldon will have to improve his game too (especially without Justin).

9) Not worried about what history says. We are a contender and that's all that matters at this stage.

10) Over/Under number of 'light out' situations

Don't get me wrong...I really like McDonald. Long arms and good doped for his size. Looks to be a good athlete as well.

My point is just that he's different from Walker. He's more of a classic TE than Walker was. It'll be different. Maybe it'll be better. Dunno. Just saying he's a different type of player.

Ya, I guess it remains to be seen. I may also be 'typical Webzone over-hype mode' on McDonald, but I see really good things for him.

Just saw the "good doped for his size". LOL. That was supposed to be good SPEED for his size. Damned iPhone.
Just saw the "good doped for his size". LOL. That was supposed to be good SPEED for his size. Damned iPhone.

Hilarious! Nice analysis and share many, many of the same thoughts. Much appreciated as always.
On the first I said there were 3 players who contributed to the fiasco. I didn't say they were all Rams.

As for the second...oops.

Great post. Might be one of the best and certainly most honestly thought-through posts I've read about Niners this year from a fan. I learned a lot.

My favorite part, and so true: "The point is that history only tells us what has happened before, not what can or WILL happen. No matter what the history books say, the 49ers have as good a shot or better than anyone in the NFL."

I think you have a better shot at the SB this year than last year. It sucks that Crabtree is out, but I do believe this will cause others to step up and then when he does come back it will be like a dynamite boost to an already good corps.

Kaep is amusing to me. I liked the hat thing - just shows how out of control some expectations are. He is a kid. If he didn't have some bit of a strong ego or attitude, he probably wouldn't be good on the field. I'd love it if Bradford did something even remotely controversial. All he does is grin and be nice.

As to the quote though, you can ignore me but not really sure Amendola, or SJax had anything to do with the loss. Amendola did not play, SJ had 48 yards and 0 TDs. Akers and Zueirlain both went 2/3.

Originally posted by RedAlice:
Great post. Might be one of the best and certainly most honestly thought-through posts I've read about Niners this year from a fan. I learned a lot.

My favorite part, and so true: "The point is that history only tells us what has happened before, not what can or WILL happen. No matter what the history books say, the 49ers have as good a shot or better than anyone in the NFL."

I think you have a better shot at the SB this year than last year. It sucks that Crabtree is out, but I do believe this will cause others to step up and then when he does come back it will be like a dynamite boost to an already good corps.

Kaep is amusing to me. I liked the hat thing - just shows how out of control some expectations are. He is a kid. If he didn't have some bit of a strong ego or attitude, he probably wouldn't be good on the field. I'd love it if Bradford did something even remotely controversial. All he does is grin and be nice.

As to the quote though, you can ignore me but not really sure Amendola, or SJax had anything to do with the loss. Amendola did not play, SJ had 48 yards and 0 TDs. Akers and Zueirlain both went 2/3.

TY. :)

As for the loss...you are correct. Kaep pitching out to Ginn poorly and Ginn making zero effort for the ball was the biggest reason why they lost.

In the first matchup tho SJax was over 100. So was Amendola...and Akers missed a game winner.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jul 10, 2013 at 1:19 PM ]
Akers and Z were both 1/2 in the first game. And it was the Rams' fault Z missed after his first 53 yarder with the delay of game penalty. I did not even know what an illegal formation penalty was prior to that day.

I hate that game.

True though that SJax and Amendola were higher factors in that first game, and the Rams still could not win.

This year, SF as a team now has much more experience working together with basically the same players +/- a bit. I'm curious to see if the games are shreds as seems predicted by many here, or if the games are still tough.
TY. :)

As for the loss...you are correct. Kaep pitching out to Ginn poorly and Ginn making zero effort for the ball was the biggest reason why they lost.

In the first matchup tho SJax was over 100. So was Amendola...and Akers missed a game winner.

And to be completely honest, this shocked me. You can see how mad I am right before the kick on SoundFX. It was the first Rams game I ever attended, and I could feel you winning right there. I was so mad.

And then shocked.

1) Kaepernick: I always start with the QB. I am very happy with the approach he's taken in the off-season in terms of working his a$$ off and taking only a week off. I am pleased to see him say that he has alot to learn and that he's really working at his craft. He is taking this all seriously and he was already the first guy in and the last guy out.

Kaep walked out of Nevada every bit as raw off the field as he was on. He has dramatically molded his on the field abilities and he'll do the same off the field. Something tells me he's gonna be on TV. Alot.

Very insightful as always Marvin. There are a couple of things I worry about that you have mentioned:

1. CK's maturity is one of those minor issues. It seems that his drive and intelligence will keep him from wandering too far from the success track, but who knows? Perhaps he will become egotistical and self destruct...just not likely on this team...but possible. Much more likely he becomes the top QB in the league.

2. Also loved this draft and McDonald was a major reason. He was an example of a rational pick...great value by Baalke and ignoring the more hyped TEs. Combined with the more recognizable picks this makes this draft one of the potentially great drafts in team history...so many really talented guys. The injured players picked are a bit risky but I thought the same about Gore.

4. FAcy worries me a bit but only because we can't really know how these new guys will mesh in our defense--Nambi, Dorsey...just don't know...but worth the risk. Would have liked to have kept one of the lost front seven guys.

5. Pistol will succeed as long as CK can 1) keep running around and through defenses occasionally and 2) WRs can keep defenses honest. If teams can play WRs tight and send seven straight up the field to collapse the tight pocket then CK needs help on the outside. With Crabtree gone that is a huge question, but Boldin will likely be one answer.

6. Cracks me up how quickly things can change...NFCW is now the darling of the pundits! Agree regarding the Rams but I won't bet my house against them.

7. Coaching--Harbaugh is a hard-nosed guy who is not afraid to make mistakes. He is also capable of bringing in talented assistants...enough said.

Present and Future: The team is relevant again and better yet...is not embarrassing. Under Harbaugh this team will be in the game every single week! I really don't know what the ceiling is or how long this run will last but Jed, Trent and Jim are young guys who are very ambitious...which bodes well for a high level over a long term.
Great post Marvin49 as always! So ready and hyped for the season to start!
Share 49ersWebzone