LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

Joe Montana is overrated?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Wow. What a couple of idiots. They obviously have never seen a single complete 49er game from the 80's. Most people would rank the third round pick from Notre Dame one of the steals of the century. But not Abbott and Costello.

What they said about Joe was so incoherent it was comical.

But I think they owe an apology to Floyd .... who was absolutely an impact player as a rookie and completely lived up to his billing. He was on track to be one of the premier fullbacks in the league before blowing out his knee in his first or second game as a sophomore on an interception return ...against the Saints? Never was the same after that. Holmes and Watson didn't even mention that as a possible factor in his lack of production. That's bush. These guys are publishing on NFL.com? I'd rather get my football analysis from Groucho and Harpo.

Don't curr
[ Edited by Imfasterthanur on Jul 13, 2013 at 7:57 PM ]
I try not to be offended but sometimes..........
Saying Montana is overrated is like saying the two clowns that wrote this trash are underrated.
He's definitely a great QB. I think the titles alter people's perception of him. Same with Tom Brady. Brady is a great QB also, but he wasn't that special when NE first started winning.

Anyway, it's hard to deny Montana's greatness. While he's certainly in the conversation, Steve Young is the best 49ers QB, IMO. For me, the best ever goes to Peyton Manning. Titles don't mean a whole lot to me. It takes a team to win it all. Adrian Peterson may end of being the RB to ever play the game, yet he'll probably never win the big game if he stays loyal to Minny.
Having watched every one of Montana's games, the biggest difference I see between Montana and Peyton are that Montana was much quicker in the pocket than Manning and Montana was much more even tempered and cool during the game. Manning seems to get angry and a little agitated at times - he's very serious and sometimes he yells at his team mates. Montana never did anything like that. I've never seen a cooler customer in the pocket. Their arm strength is pretty even. Montana was definitely a faster runner and all-around better athlete IMO. Over their careers, their QB rating, completion percentages, int% and TD% are very close. In fact, the only QB Pro Football Stats has as more similar over a career to Peyton Manning is Johnny Unitas. Montana is the second QB listed as similar to Peyton over career stat-wise. But, anyone has to admit, Montana came up bigger in big games than Manning.
Steve Young, by the numbers, has generally better stats than both Montana or Peyton Manning over his career, but there is the issue of coming up big in big games. Nobody is better than Montana when you factor that into the equation. Peyton Manning will join them both in the Hall of Fame - no question about it.
not sure how you over rate being 4-0 in the big game and throw 11tds and 0 picks. in my mind that puts you in the untouchable category in terms of being ripped.
Originally posted by crabman82:
not sure how you over rate being 4-0 in the big game and throw 11tds and 0 picks. in my mind that puts you in the untouchable category in terms of being ripped.

Right. The all-time highest QB rating in four Super Bowls should, in a sane world, be the end of the argument. Whatever.
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Right. The all-time highest QB rating in four Super Bowls should, in a sane world, be the end of the argument. Whatever.

Seems to be obvious, so I believe the article was just a way to create some summer attention...credibility be damned!

Steve Young, by the numbers, has generally better stats than both Montana or Peyton Manning over his career, but there is the issue of coming up big in big games. Nobody is better than Montana when you factor that into the equation. Peyton Manning will join them both in the Hall of Fame - no question about it.

If the goal of the 49ers offense back then was for Montana to throw 35+ times a game then he could have put up the stats, but that offense was about balance and moving the chains.

What I don't get from the critics is if you want to look at Montana's stats, look at Montana IN THE PLAYOFFS, the most pressure packed moments is when he is amazing.

Apparently that isn't good enough lol. He had to go 10-0 in SBs and lead the league in TDs and yards for every year to not earn the "overrated" tag by these idiots.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
If the goal of the 49ers offense back then was for Montana to throw 35+ times a game then he could have put up the stats, but that offense was about balance and moving the chains.

What I don't get from the critics is if you want to look at Montana's stats, look at Montana IN THE PLAYOFFS, the most pressure packed moments is when he is amazing.

The knock on Montana always came from those comparing him to Marino, Elway, and others who had to pass to win. He was also criticized by Terry Bradshaw and others for not calling his own plays...but that seems to miss the decision-making built into the WCO. He had to read the defense as he approached the line (as all QBs do) and then decide where the weak spots were. He was just such a master of reading defenses and finding those weaknesses. But most of all, I appreciated his delivery of the ball in all kinds of circumstances...with absolutely exquisite touch!
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Even without the ludicrousness of putting Montana on the list, these writers revealed their complete stupidity by not even understanding what overrated means. Dexter Carter, RW McQuarters, Kevan Barlow, and William Floyd????????? NOBODY calls them great so how are they overrated.

WHAT MORONS. They must be completely embarrassed to show their faces among other reporters / columnists - laughed at in public.
I was thinking the same thing especially with Dexter Carter and RW McQuarters, I doubt any 49er fan other than their immediate family liked them or thought they were good, even for a couple games.
In defense of Young, his teams weren't really that loaded. There was always something missing, the '94 team being the obvious exception. Montana's teams were far more balanced.

92 & 93 -- Average defense. Overpowered by the Dallas' offense.
94 -- Complete team. Surprise,surprise....we win the SB.
95 -- Derek Loville. No balance on offense
96 -- Running game still sub-par. Young injured against GB. GB was clearly the superior team anyways.
97 -- Rice sustains serious knee injury.
98 -- Average defense. Hearst seriously injured against ATL.

Montana was the better QB, no doubt about that. And no way is Joe overrated. I still feel that Young gets too much flak for not winning more SB's. His teams had the aura of being loaded because of our history, but they really weren't.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 14, 2013 at 9:37 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone