LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 330 users in the forums

Joe Montana is overrated?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Is it true, GarciaStinks = Jordan Taber?
Guy works for NFL.com and doesn't know s**t about football? Man they should fire him and hire Marvin he would run circles around those fools.

Seriously though.... wtf ... Jim Kelly would have won more with Joe's team? Man stfu.....
Originally posted by kray28:
Is it true, GarciaStinks = Jordan Taber?

There has been increased levels of douchebaggery since his arrival. I'd say yes.
Somebody went full retard.
I want in on this conversation!!

Every fan base Romanizes their GOATS.

In my heart of hearts....the least player overrated is Jerry Rice. He was so uniquely CLUTCH, the NFL has not seen anything like it since.

Montana on the other hand, like MOST great players is thought of as perfect....and he was FAR from it. He was some what LUCKLY, as well as being REALLY good. I think its a toss up between Montana and Young for MY all time best QB, and I understand what people would take Montana over every QB in the history of the NFL.

But...think about this, its funny two of the most ICONIC moments in 49er could have be totally different.

Montana threw what could be a interception right before the catch. Not to mention if Clark missed that catch, would we really blame it? History could have been very different

Now look at the super bowl against Cinci , one again Montana throws what could have been an EASY pic, right before he hits John Taylor for game winner. Add in had Ronnie Lott not played...well...like Ronnie Lott, Cinci could have drove down the field for the Win

That stuff didn't happen, and that's we all refer to Montana has having magic. There is not a QB alive that has ever played the game that you cant make the SAME arguments about, but it does grind my gears a little when people knock other QBs and say Montana would never throw that pass....well yea...dude...actually he DID and he got stupid lucky it was not picked off....
Montana cannot be over-rated as he is arguably the greatest QB of all time and can only be under-rated based on the criteria used to judge who is #1.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
I want in on this conversation!!

Every fan base Romanizes their GOATS.

In my heart of hearts....the least player overrated is Jerry Rice. He was so uniquely CLUTCH, the NFL has not seen anything like it since.

Montana on the other hand, like MOST great players is thought of as perfect....and he was FAR from it. He was some what LUCKLY, as well as being REALLY good. I think its a toss up between Montana and Young for MY all time best QB, and I understand what people would take Montana over every QB in the history of the NFL.

But...think about this, its funny two of the most ICONIC moments in 49er could have be totally different.

Montana threw what could be a interception right before the catch. Not to mention if Clark missed that catch, would we really blame it? History could have been very different

Now look at the super bowl against Cinci , one again Montana throws what could have been an EASY pic, right before he hits John Taylor for game winner. Add in had Ronnie Lott not played...well...like Ronnie Lott, Cinci could have drove down the field for the Win

That stuff didn't happen, and that's we all refer to Montana has having magic. There is not a QB alive that has ever played the game that you cant make the SAME arguments about, but it does grind my gears a little when people knock other QBs and say Montana would never throw that pass....well yea...dude...actually he DID and he got stupid lucky it was not picked off....

Oh awesome we're playing the "what if?" game again, because of course that ONLY applies to person we're talking about.

what if oakland gets that fumble against brady and new england never makes it?

what if asante samuel picks off eli manning's pass in the super bowl?

what if roger craig doesn't fumble against NY?

what if what if what if blah blah blah

**Oh and you're wrong btw, the almost interception by Montana vs Cinci didn't happen in their final drive
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Jul 12, 2013 at 7:00 PM ]
Originally posted by NFLHistorian:
"Not to mention he made chiefs instant contenders with no talent around him and smacked up Steve Young and John Elway out of his prime. NFL is smoking crack. They are just made a west coast team and QB is the GOAT"

The Chiefs were coming off 3 consecutive playoff seasons when Montana arrived. And last I checked, quarterbacks don't actually play against each other. I can't even stand it when people try to credit basketball players for winning championships, but in FOOTBALL? It's just ridiculous. Joe Flacco is a solid quarterback, but he's not as good as Tony Romo.

The argument for Montana being overrated comes from people treating him like some jaw dropping great, when in actuality he was just another good quarterback with a great supporting cast. If he blew away everyone else from his time period statistically, then it wouldn't be so much of a stretch to just unanimously hand him the "GOAT" title. But as it stands, Marino and Fouts were there at the same time as Montana was doing his thing...ducking to the ground every time he was about to take a sack.
One of the most famous QB ducking was from Jim Everett of the Rams vs the 49ers in the NFC title game. Went down when he wasn't even touched.

If you want to see a QB stand in the pocket after getting sacked 7 or so times and hit another 10+, watch what Joe did to the Eagles in Philadelphia against Reggie White and company on September 24, 1989. Brought them back to win the game. No ducking there.

Montana's poise under pressure and bringing his team back from defeat is what makes him arguably the greatest QB of all time. I put Elway up there with Montana.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
"Joe Montana -- QB, 1979-1992Before you break something important, listen. Montana was a very good quarterback. I'll even allow him as a GREAT quarterback. But he is NOT the best quarterback of all time. You could argue he's not even the best quarterback in 49ers history. He had a supporting cast that included Jerry Rice, Brent Jones, Roger Craig and coach Bill Walsh. Think Dan Marino, Warren Moon or Jim Kelly couldn't have won a couple of titles with that group? Even after connecting with Dwight Clark on "The Catch", it took a game-saving tackle by Eric Wright to prevent the Cowboysfrom going to the Super Bowl. Oh, and about the whole "might not be the best QB in 49ers history" ... Steve Young has a better completion percentage, passer rating, 3,500-plus rushing yards and 37 rushing touchdowns.

-- by Dylan Milner and Marcas Grant
"

"Joe Montana" IS the Greatest QB of ALL TIME! Marino, Moon and Kelly All had GREAT stats but they have zero Championships combined! I may even venture to say that those Bills teams Kelly had almost had just as much talent as us. 4 Superbowls in 4 straight years is very impressive.
If anything I believe Young is over-rated, he should have had won 1 more SB at LEAST with the talent he had around him.
Originally posted by allhype:
"Joe Montana" IS the Greatest QB of ALL TIME! Marino, Moon and Kelly All had GREAT stats but they have zero Championships combined! I may even venture to say that those Bills teams Kelly had almost had just as much talent as us. 4 Superbowls in 4 straight years is very impressive.
If anything I believe Young is over-rated, he should have had won 1 more SB at LEAST with the talent he had around him.

The Niners defense and running game wasn't good enough during most of the Young years, as soon as they made the moves to shore it up, they won.

Sort of interesting who they have on their lists--over rated list has only one player rated among the elites--Montana.

R.W. McQuarters -- http://www.nfl.com/player/r.w.mcquarters/2502053/profile Two years with the 9ers...no stats but one Int?
Dexter Carter -- 1,000 yards over seven seasons? Who rated this guy on any list?
Kevan Barlow -- Five years...hardly a career to measure among the greats.
William Floyd -- Clicked on their link and found stats for Paul Kruger...hmm...I rate this site as an F+.
Joe Montana -- If not the best QB of all time, he is in the conversation unless you just hate the guy for non-football reasons.

Putting Montana with this group is an insult in and of itself. They were good players but nowhere near elite. Not even 9er diehards would rate them that highly.

On the other hand, the players they list as underrated is largely a list of players who suffer by comparison or injury:

John Taylor -- JRice cast a shadow over him...but knowledgeable fans know his worth.
Garrison Hearst -- Injury kept him from being one of the greats. 12 year career, 2 years out, 4 years of 1,000+ yards.
Frank Gore -- Who is underrating this guy?
Bryant Young -- Played a less glorified role, but underrated by who?
Tom Rathman -- Perhaps underrated when compared to Roger? But he was known to be a solid all-around player.

Just a dumb set of lists by any measure.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jul 13, 2013 at 9:19 AM ]
Those lists are so strange that it's almost like someone is trolling Niner fans. I mean, they don't really make any sense. On the one hand, who the hell ever rated RW McQuarters or Dexter Carter high and on the other hand, who rated those other guys low? Rathman was the consensus best fullback in the league. Young was all pro quite a few times. Hearst and Gore - always top ten running backs. And John Taylor? 1000 yard seasons while playing across from Rice? Are you kidding me? Three or four receptions and TD's of over 90 yards? Taylor was nails and most people agreed with that.
If Montana played was Jet, and the whole story of the 80's-90's played out with the Jet's instead of the Niners, i.e., Walsh, and company, play for play win for win, it would no longer be the Lombardi trophy, it would be the Walsh. f**k the east cost media bias, Joe Montana was the greatest QB of all time, and Jerry Rice the greatest player of all time, ever, period, end of sentence, f**k you New York media!
  • dugo
  • Veteran
Joe Montana overrated ?? Really??? Compared to who? Dang what a waste of all those YEARS I was watching him win games and Super Bowls...
Yea ok, the best QB in the history of the game is overrated. LOL.
Share 49ersWebzone