LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 259 users in the forums

Joe Montana is overrated?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Never brah.....never
I love when people point out that Montana Had Jerry Rice as a receiver because I get to point out to them (and they almost never know this) that Montana won 2 Super Bowls before Rice was even drafted.

Dwight Clark & Freddie Solomon were the real greats. They're the reason Joe did anything in the NFL.
It looks to me lime Joe was thrown in there just to stir the pot. To create hits to the page and draw attention.
Originally posted by GarciaStinks:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Doesn't change the fact that Montana was voted #1 QB by his contemporaries. Sure, 49er fans are guilty of praising him like he's some kind of deity, but he's not overrated. He IS the greatest QB of all-time.

I don't agree. What makes him the greatest of all-time? The supposed "clutchness?" What goes unsaid is the fact that he played the rest of the game, too. Why did he even need to come back in the first place?

Besides which, quarterbacks don't win championships, teams do.

From a pure passing standpoint, there were lots better. Steve Bartkowski could have been Joe Montana, but he was stuck in Atlanta.

From a pure passing standpoint there are plenty of QBs that had/have better physical qualities than Joe Montana. And the game has changed, so lots of QBs are putting up numbers today that simply were not possible 30 years ago. But the ONLY question that is really relevant when comparing QBs over different eras is this: Your team is losing by 6 in the super bowl with two minutes left and has the ball at its own 20 yard line; what quarterback do you want under center for that drive?

I would pick Montana and so would tons of football fans, not just 49ers fans. And the reason you choose him is because he's done it before. In the super bowl, playoffs, down by 28 in the fourth quarter ... He's the best big-game quarterback in the history of the NFL, period. You can argue Manning, or Brady, or Favre, or Elway or anybody else - they are all great quarterbacks. But in taking any of them over Montana you'd be taking a guy with a worse track record. If you choose Steve Bartkowski, then you're just a complete idiot.

Supporting cast arguments are red herrings. Ask Calvin Johnson how many super bowls he's won being the best WR in the game, with a QB that throws for 5,000 yards. Or Andre Johnson. Or Randy Moss. Yes, Jerry Rice is the GOAT. But he wasn't there for two SBs and maybe, just maybe, he's the GOAT because the guy that won two SBs before he came was pretty good at getting him the ball.
Originally posted by kingairta:
It looks to me lime Joe was thrown in there just to stir the pot. To create hits to the page and draw attention.

I don't know what Joe could have done in his career to not be labeled overrated by these douchebags. Put up the best QB stats of all time and win 10 superbowls in a row with no pro bowlers on his team? lol seems like the only way.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
I don't know what Joe could have done in his career to not be labeled overrated by these douchebags. Put up the best QB stats of all time and win 10 superbowls in a row with no pro bowlers on his team? lol seems like the only way.

That and never play with a deficit. Every game had to be a blowout lol.
Joe Montana overrated? This is just unreal! A couple of years ago, I saw a slowed down video of game footage. It showed Joe's eyes has he backed away from the center. As he was back peddling he was going thru his progressions. He must have made 10 reads before he finally threw the ball. This skill alone is uncanny and it's something that only a few select athletes are born with this computer like ability to read defenses. His other innate ability was the throw a beautiful toss right in the receivers stride. All we have to do is be reminded of one Alex Smith to realize this too is a special.

Sure there have been QBs with better speed and arm strength but you give me a big game and Joe Montana is the first QB that gets the call. Overrated? Only guys who don't know the game of football think so.
[ Edited by pete98146 on Jul 11, 2013 at 4:52 PM ]
Originally posted by defenderDX:
"Joe Montana -- QB, 1979-1992Before you break something important, listen. Montana was a very good quarterback. I'll even allow him as a GREAT quarterback. But he is NOT the best quarterback of all time. You could argue he's not even the best quarterback in 49ers history. He had a supporting cast that included Jerry Rice, Brent Jones, Roger Craig and coach Bill Walsh. Think Dan Marino, Warren Moon or Jim Kelly couldn't have won a couple of titles with that group? Even after connecting with Dwight Clark on "The Catch", it took a game-saving tackle by Eric Wright to prevent the Cowboysfrom going to the Super Bowl. Oh, and about the whole "might not be the best QB in 49ers history" ... Steve Young has a better completion percentage, passer rating, 3,500-plus rushing yards and 37 rushing touchdowns.

-- by Dylan Milner and Marcas Grant
"

I don't like the stats argument because they have been inflated over time. Middle of the road QB's are putting up stats similar to Young these days. It comes down to winning and clutch performance. Montana was the greatest winner and clutch performer in NFL history. It's not even close. The fact he had talent around him cannot be used against him. It was his excellence that allowed that talent to grow around him.

This
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
It's a common hater thing to say because Joe played in west coast offense and eventually had Rice, Taylor, Craig, Jones, etc.

You could argue that Montana had a fantastic fit with Bill Walsh and WCO (opposite of Alex's early experience here). If he went to the Giants instead of the 49ers, just how good of a QB could he have been. Very good probably, but HOF elite?

That's a big question but one that you have to give him the benefit of the doubt for. Steve Young was more dominant when the chips were up (regular season, all pro receivers) but Montana got more done with less time and time again. His Kansas City career sorta substantiates just how great he is, not only beating the 49ers in their super bowl season but beating a tough common opponent we failed to beat (Oilers in the Astrodome, '93 season).

Two super bowl trophies while Rice was still in college. The 1981 season could only have ended in a super bowl trophy with a great QB.

F*** nfl.com
Not to mention he made chiefs instant contenders with no talent around him and smacked up Steve Young and John Elway out of his prime. NFL is smoking crack. They are just made a west coast team and QB is the GOAT
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Axl49:
Not to mention he made chiefs instant contenders with no talent around him and smacked up Steve Young and John Elway out of his prime. NFL is smoking crack. They are just made a west coast team and QB is the GOAT
ahh, the infamous game in kansas city where norton broke dents leg we had to beat each other up that day as we sure as hell could not touch montana

Those guys seriously need their necks greased up for even thinking to put Joe as overrated. Of course it probably was just to stir people up. If anything he was underrated. 3rd round pick and he executed Walsh's offense like a maestro.
good grief...
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
VERUHRTHA FUKHTHA JÜDEH!!!

He's a niner hater. On NFL Top 100 he said Willis and Aldon would not make his list. He was dead serious.

I agree with this. I believe he also said the Seahawks are gonna win the division. Everytime I see him on NFLN I feel stupider for listening to what he has to say. I would just chalk this one up as epic fail for the article.
Someone's knowledge of football history is overrated.
Share 49ersWebzone