Joe Montana is overrated?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
THESE DIPSHITS NEVER ACTUALLY SAW MONTANA PLAY

NUFF SAID

Close thread
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 15crabtree:
joe was great but .also remember during joe's era . he had a consistent offense system , and there was no salary cap

Every team had no salary cap. I am sure Parcells wasn't complaining that he got to keep his great LB core in tact each year to help wear on Montanta's back since there wasn't a 15 yard penalty every time you touched a QB. Also no need to change you offensive system when you have the greatest of all time running it.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by Furlow:
This guy is trying to play the "what if" game, so I'll bite...

What if Roger Craig doesn't fumble in the 1990 playoff game against the Giants, and Montana doesn't hurt his elbow? We would have beaten the breaks off the Bills. That would have been a three-peat. 1991 he was out the whole year, and the Redskins won it all. Would have likely been another Niners championship. 1992-1995 was the Cowboys-Niners rivalry, and Steve Young choked badly in 1992 and 1993. So let's say they kept Montana and he played all of those years. Montana and the Niners would have basically been at the doorstep of the Super Bowl from 1991 to 1995. So you're talking about anywhere from 5 to 10 Super Bowl titles.

Montana was cold, calculated, and efficient. His style of play embodied everything about the QB position - get your teammates involved, run the clock, keep your opponent off balance, win the game. It seemed boring at times. I'm sure teams would walk off the field saying "this guy sucks how did we lose?" many times. But that was the genius of his play. He was a stone cold assassin, a straight up ninja in cleats.

Let's not forget the rules changes in 1995 (no chucking out of bounds) and 1996 (illegal contact) made it much easier to pass the ball. Many of the QB's mentioned as better than him played a lot of years after 1995, when Montana was retired.

So even in this fantasy "what if" world that the writer is talking about, Montana is still the greatest QB of all time!

Fantastic post!

I want to take this post and shove it write up the writer's ass. Well done.
Thanks, fellas. Someone figure out how to get this to that writer. What a douche.
One of the writers of the over-under article is one Dylan Milner, he education is listed at SC between 2000-2004. With that timeline he probably was not born when Joe won his first SB. Anyone saying that Joe Montana is overrated is just making noise, or just too young to know better.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
"Joe Montana -- QB, 1979-1992Before you break something important, listen. Montana was a very good quarterback. I'll even allow him as a GREAT quarterback. But he is NOT the best quarterback of all time. You could argue he's not even the best quarterback in 49ers history. He had a supporting cast that included Jerry Rice, Brent Jones, Roger Craig and coach Bill Walsh. Think Dan Marino, Warren Moon or Jim Kelly couldn't have won a couple of titles with that group? Even after connecting with Dwight Clark on "The Catch", it took a game-saving tackle by Eric Wright to prevent the Cowboysfrom going to the Super Bowl. Oh, and about the whole "might not be the best QB in 49ers history" ... Steve Young has a better completion percentage, passer rating, 3,500-plus rushing yards and 37 rushing touchdowns.

-- by Dylan Milner and Marcas Grant
"

CAPTION:my four rings tell you to shut up
Originally posted by 15crabtree:
joe was great but .also remember during joe's era . he had a consistent offense system , and there was no salary cap

I forget, we're the Niners the only team without a salary cap?
Must be L.A. Rams fans.
lolwut
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
"Joe Montana -- QB, 1979-1992Before you break something important, listen. Montana was a very good quarterback. I'll even allow him as a GREAT quarterback. But he is NOT the best quarterback of all time. You could argue he's not even the best quarterback in 49ers history. He had a supporting cast that included Jerry Rice, Brent Jones, Roger Craig and coach Bill Walsh. Think Dan Marino, Warren Moon or Jim Kelly couldn't have won a couple of titles with that group? Even after connecting with Dwight Clark on "The Catch", it took a game-saving tackle by Eric Wright to prevent the Cowboysfrom going to the Super Bowl. Oh, and about the whole "might not be the best QB in 49ers history" ... Steve Young has a better completion percentage, passer rating, 3,500-plus rushing yards and 37 rushing touchdowns.

-- by Dylan Milner and Marcas Grant
"

I don't like the stats argument because they have been inflated over time. Middle of the road QB's are putting up stats similar to Young these days. It comes down to winning and clutch performance. Montana was the greatest winner and clutch performer in NFL history. It's not even close. The fact he had talent around him cannot be used against him. It was his excellence that allowed that talent to grow around him.

The stat junkies don't really give a lot of credit to this idea. I'm not sure why. It's like Brady vs Manning. Manning is average as a clutch performer, Brady is amazing.
Originally posted by Furlow:
This guy is trying to play the "what if" game, so I'll bite...

What if Roger Craig doesn't fumble in the 1990 playoff game against the Giants, and Montana doesn't hurt his elbow? We would have beaten the breaks off the Bills. That would have been a three-peat. 1991 he was out the whole year, and the Redskins won it all. Would have likely been another Niners championship. 1992-1995 was the Cowboys-Niners rivalry, and Steve Young choked badly in 1992 and 1993. So let's say they kept Montana and he played all of those years. Montana and the Niners would have basically been at the doorstep of the Super Bowl from 1991 to 1995. So you're talking about anywhere from 5 to 10 Super Bowl titles.

Montana was cold, calculated, and efficient. His style of play embodied everything about the QB position - get your teammates involved, run the clock, keep your opponent off balance, win the game. It seemed boring at times. I'm sure teams would walk off the field saying "this guy sucks how did we lose?" many times. But that was the genius of his play. He was a stone cold assassin, a straight up ninja in cleats.

Let's not forget the rules changes in 1995 (no chucking out of bounds) and 1996 (illegal contact) made it much easier to pass the ball. Many of the QB's mentioned as better than him played a lot of years after 1995, when Montana was retired.

So even in this fantasy "what if" world that the writer is talking about, Montana is still the greatest QB of all time!

Perfect point. The "what if" game is the laziest argument that can possibly be made; because like you said, the "what if's" are a two-sided coin.

Ya and my **** is too big
Even without the ludicrousness of putting Montana on the list, these writers revealed their complete stupidity by not even understanding what overrated means. Dexter Carter, RW McQuarters, Kevan Barlow, and William Floyd????????? NOBODY calls them great so how are they overrated.

WHAT MORONS. They must be completely embarrassed to show their faces among other reporters / columnists - laughed at in public.
Piece of s**t article
"Ill even allow him as a great quarterback"

Ohh wow thank you mr. Milner and grant.

You both are f**king retarded and know nothing about football. I cant believe NFL.com allowed this s**t to be put up.
NFL.com can "what if" my cock in its ass. Stupid f**king article.
Share 49ersWebzone