There are 98 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Joe Montana is overrated?

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Even without the ludicrousness of putting Montana on the list, these writers revealed their complete stupidity by not even understanding what overrated means. Dexter Carter, RW McQuarters, Kevan Barlow, and William Floyd????????? NOBODY calls them great so how are they overrated.

WHAT MORONS. They must be completely embarrassed to show their faces among other reporters / columnists - laughed at in public.
I was thinking the same thing especially with Dexter Carter and RW McQuarters, I doubt any 49er fan other than their immediate family liked them or thought they were good, even for a couple games.
In defense of Young, his teams weren't really that loaded. There was always something missing, the '94 team being the obvious exception. Montana's teams were far more balanced.

92 & 93 -- Average defense. Overpowered by the Dallas' offense.
94 -- Complete team. Surprise,surprise....we win the SB.
95 -- Derek Loville. No balance on offense
96 -- Running game still sub-par. Young injured against GB. GB was clearly the superior team anyways.
97 -- Rice sustains serious knee injury.
98 -- Average defense. Hearst seriously injured against ATL.

Montana was the better QB, no doubt about that. And no way is Joe overrated. I still feel that Young gets too much flak for not winning more SB's. His teams had the aura of being loaded because of our history, but they really weren't.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 14, 2013 at 9:37 PM ]
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Wow. What a couple of idiots. They obviously have never seen a single complete 49er game from the 80's. Most people would rank the third round pick from Notre Dame one of the steals of the century. But not Abbott and Costello.

What they said about Joe was so incoherent it was comical.

But I think they owe an apology to Floyd .... who was absolutely an impact player as a rookie and completely lived up to his billing. He was on track to be one of the premier fullbacks in the league before blowing out his knee in his first or second game as a sophomore on an interception return ...against the Saints? Never was the same after that. Holmes and Watson didn't even mention that as a possible factor in his lack of production. That's bush. These guys are publishing on NFL.com? I'd rather get my football analysis from Groucho and Harpo.

The injury happened against the saints in the 95 season in candlestick. I was 12 and I specifically remember Floyd in that game running over people. The defenders would bounce right off of him and then he tore his knee. I swear I think he would have rushed for 1,000 yards that year. Too bad we didn't have the same medical treatments then that we do now.
[ Edited by dave1003 on Jul 15, 2013 at 12:18 AM ]
Originally posted by GarciaStinks:
He is overrated by 49ers fans. When you talk about the 49ers beating the 92/93 Cowboys with Montana, despite their piss-poor defenses/weaker overall team than Dallas, that's overrating him. When you talk about the 49ers 7 or 8-peating with Joe, that's overrating him. I guess people forgot the games against the Giants in 85 and 86, or the Vikings in 87? The regular season games where he stunk vs. the Bears and their 46?

When you trash Steve Young and praise Joe, and claim that he is "hands down the GOAT," you are overrating him.

I suggest checking out the subreddit, "r/S**t49erfanssay" (only replace the two stars with the obvious letters). http://www.reddit.com/r/s**t49erfanssay/

Originally posted by SofaKing:
In defense of Young, his teams weren't really that loaded. There was always something missing, the '94 team being the obvious exception. Montana's teams were far more balanced.

96 -- Running game still sub-par. Young injured against GB. GB was clearly the superior team anyways.

Montana was the better QB, no doubt about that. And no way is Joe overrated. I still feel that Young gets too much flak for not winning more SB's. His teams had the aura of being loaded because of our history, but they really weren't.

49er Defensive Team Rankings in Young Era

91 - 4th
92 - 3rd
93 - 16th
94 - 6th
95 - 2nd
96 - 4th
97 - 4th
98 - 13th

49er Defensive Team Rankings in Montana Era

81 - 2nd
82 - 23rd
83 - 4th
84 - 1st
85 - 2nd
86 - 3rd
87 - 3rd
88 - 8th
89 - 3rd
90 - 2nd

Montana's teams consistently had a top 4 defense, except for in '88 when Montana basically took over the playoffs.

But, in 5 of Young's first 8 years as the starter, the team also had a top 4 defense.
The greatest quarterback to ever play the game is overrated by every team and fan he beat.

Hate.

One word.

Its ugly and something we have been better than.
Originally posted by dave1003:
The injury happened against the saints in the 95 season in candlestick. I was 12 and I specifically remember Floyd in that game running over people. The defenders would bounce right off of him and then he tore his knee. I swear I think he would have rushed for 1,000 yards that year. Too bad we didn't have the same medical treatments then that we do now.

I'm mad about the Floyd remark. It's poor reporting, amateur, unprofessional. Those guys should put out a retraction.
  • dwett
  • Veteran

Man if we just could have kept Ricky Watters I really wonder how 95-97 would have gone. Can't remember was Hearst on the 97 team or come in on the 98 team that should have won it all if he hadn't got hurt.
Originally posted by dwett:
Man if we just could have kept Ricky Watters I really wonder how 95-97 would have gone. Can't remember was Hearst on the 97 team or come in on the 98 team that should have won it all if he hadn't got hurt.

That would have made a huge difference. Young had no serious running game during those years after Watters bolted. And what happened to Watters? Nothing. He made a little more money, but he got nothing. What a fool. He could have gotten a couple more rings and had a chance to make the Hall. Instead, he's just an afterthought.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
That would have made a huge difference. Young had no serious running game during those years after Watters bolted. And what happened to Watters? Nothing. He made a little more money, but he got nothing. What a fool. He could have gotten a couple more rings and had a chance to make the Hall. Instead, he's just an afterthought.

Another cautionary tale for today's players! Chasing the dollar may mean less in the long run than playing for a great team. If the money is significant, Goldson or Morgan, I can see the jump, but in the long run I doubt Goldson will have improved his overall well-being (financial or reputation) by playing for a lesser team. Imagine the endorsements available after a SB win.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Another cautionary tale for today's players! Chasing the dollar may mean less in the long run than playing for a great team. If the money is significant, Goldson or Morgan, I can see the jump, but in the long run I doubt Goldson will have improved his overall well-being (financial or reputation) by playing for a lesser team. Imagine the endorsements available after a SB win.

I can easily imagine the Niners going on to win a couple more championships in the next four or five years and Goldson nearing the end of his career wishing he had one of those rings. Happens all the time. He was already rich. He'll get richer, but he would have staying with the Niners too. And, at the end of his career, he's sitting there with $18 mil in the bank when he might have had $14 mil. I'd bet any money that at the end of his career, he'd take the $14 mil and a ring over the $18 mil and no ring.

It isn't a matter of Joe vs Steve. Both are beloved in 49er history. All time though I would want Joe with 2 minutes left in the superbowl... over Manning(s), Brady, Elway, Marino, Aikmen, ... the list could go on for a long time. Joe brought this team to glory so I think it should be his to bask in.
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dwett:

Man got to agree. If he had won 2 more super bowls he would be in the Hall, but hey he got more dollars. Hope he didn't blow it. Didn't see him on the 30 for 30 Broke series so he must be ok, but will be paying to get into canton like the rest of us.