There are 205 users in the forums

Joe Montana is overrated?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000210699/article/san-francisco-49ers-alltime-underrated-overrated-players

According to the all time underrated overrated San Francisco 49er players. First Young now Montana? wtf

I hate almost every second of the time I spend on NFL.com. There's not a goddamn person there that doesn't write something I immediately loathe upon viewing.

Joe Montana is undisputedly the greatest quarterback of all time, and to dispute this is blasphemy. How many rings?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
nfl.com has been writing some stupid s**t lately.

the season needs to start already.
file this under...

... he has nothing better to do than get clicks and responses. Saying Montana was overrated is ridiculous...

6x 10+ winning seasons
Career 63.2% completion percentage
244 TDs vs. 123 INTs playing for the Niners - 1.98 TD/INT ratio
7.6 YPA, 210.3 YPG, 93.5 Rating
3.9 YPA rushing, 20 TDs.

Playoff Record as Starting QB: 16-6
Playoff Comebacks: 5x
Playoff Game-Winning Drives: 5x
VERUHRTHA FUKHTHA JÜDEH!!!

It's a common hater thing to say because Joe played in west coast offense and eventually had Rice, Taylor, Craig, Jones, etc.

You could argue that Montana had a fantastic fit with Bill Walsh and WCO (opposite of Alex's early experience here). If he went to the Giants instead of the 49ers, just how good of a QB could he have been. Very good probably, but HOF elite?

That's a big question but one that you have to give him the benefit of the doubt for. Steve Young was more dominant when the chips were up (regular season, all pro receivers) but Montana got more done with less time and time again. His Kansas City career sorta substantiates just how great he is, not only beating the 49ers in their super bowl season but beating a tough common opponent we failed to beat (Oilers in the Astrodome, '93 season).

Two super bowl trophies while Rice was still in college. The 1981 season could only have ended in a super bowl trophy with a great QB.

F*** nfl.com
Originally posted by susweel:
nfl.com has been writing some stupid s**t lately.

the season needs to start already.

Since the Kaep hat thing...these guys have been trolling 9er fans
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
VERUHRTHA FUKHTHA JÜDEH!!!

He's a niner hater. On NFL Top 100 he said Willis and Aldon would not make his list. He was dead serious.

Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

i loved watching him derail skip bayless
Originally posted by defenderDX:
i loved watching him derail skip bayless

Not a hard thing to do really. Even Stephen A. doesn't know what the hell he's talking about half the time. You just can't talk over him lol.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 9, 2013 at 4:15 PM ]
"Joe Montana -- QB, 1979-1992Before you break something important, listen. Montana was a very good quarterback. I'll even allow him as a GREAT quarterback. But he is NOT the best quarterback of all time. You could argue he's not even the best quarterback in 49ers history. He had a supporting cast that included Jerry Rice, Brent Jones, Roger Craig and coach Bill Walsh. Think Dan Marino, Warren Moon or Jim Kelly couldn't have won a couple of titles with that group? Even after connecting with Dwight Clark on "The Catch", it took a game-saving tackle by Eric Wright to prevent the Cowboysfrom going to the Super Bowl. Oh, and about the whole "might not be the best QB in 49ers history" ... Steve Young has a better completion percentage, passer rating, 3,500-plus rushing yards and 37 rushing touchdowns.

-- by Dylan Milner and Marcas Grant
"
Originally posted by defenderDX:
"Joe Montana -- QB, 1979-1992Before you break something important, listen. Montana was a very good quarterback. I'll even allow him as a GREAT quarterback. But he is NOT the best quarterback of all time. You could argue he's not even the best quarterback in 49ers history. He had a supporting cast that included Jerry Rice, Brent Jones, Roger Craig and coach Bill Walsh. Think Dan Marino, Warren Moon or Jim Kelly couldn't have won a couple of titles with that group? Even after connecting with Dwight Clark on "The Catch", it took a game-saving tackle by Eric Wright to prevent the Cowboysfrom going to the Super Bowl. Oh, and about the whole "might not be the best QB in 49ers history" ... Steve Young has a better completion percentage, passer rating, 3,500-plus rushing yards and 37 rushing touchdowns.

-- by Dylan Milner and Marcas Grant
"

I don't like the stats argument because they have been inflated over time. Middle of the road QB's are putting up stats similar to Young these days. It comes down to winning and clutch performance. Montana was the greatest winner and clutch performer in NFL history. It's not even close. The fact he had talent around him cannot be used against him. It was his excellence that allowed that talent to grow around him.
harris barton was overrated IMO
Share 49ersWebzone