There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

SuperBowl Notes - It's time...

Needless to say, we finally shut down boldin. He will never catch that sideline jumpball for first down against us again. We just signed him one game too late.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Flacco deserves a lot of credit for having the guts to avoid sacks and trust Boldin to win every Hail Mary jump ball.

He does...they clearly saw a major weakness in our DB's technique, w/o question IMHO. Flacco was winging passes from the far hash mark, running full speed backwards (15+ yards), throwing across his body to the sidelines, heaving up punt-like passes, etc. and not ONE time did ANY of our DB's make a play on the ball. Not once. Had any of the DB's tracked the ball vs. just the receiver, we could have had at least 3 pick-6's that game...no joke. Very very poor technique.
The reasons why the 49ers choked is the defense couldn't get off the field on 3rd downs and on offense the 49ers settled for 3 freakin FGs and another empty drive at the end and the Lamike fumble, As for our defense, that was the worst our defense has played in a Very very very long time. They made a mediocre Ravens offense look explosive?? Aldon and Justin were both non factors & hurt, Ahmad Brooks missed a couple crucial sacks, Culliver played like terrible the whole game. 49ers couldn't guard Boldin. Kaepernick played scared in the 1st half and showed his youth but blew up in the mid 3rd Q on. It was a game that woulda coulda and shoulda been number 6 for the 49ers. We had a 300 yard passer, 2 recievers with 100 yards and a rusher with 100 yards, How the heck does that lose?? Im still chapped about that. I was at the game and I was sooooo depressed afterwards just wanted to get home as soon as possible. Anyway overall I blame the defense for not getting stops when they needed too.
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NCommand:
If you're not getting better today...

No doubt many of you will never watch this game (understandable) but I've got to tell you, it was very educational and really helped highlight what we need to do this offseason to get better. I only want to focus on OUR play...not the controversy.

Here were some of my notes...where we suffered and you should be able to see where we improved in personnel after this off season and other technique, scheme, etc. we need to improve upon:

First Quarter: Down 7-3
  • Illegal formation right out of the gate? Is that on Crabtree or Roman? It also speaks to how they may not have practiced that play to perfection like in the old WCO days...first 20 plays were scripted and practiced to perfection.
  • Nice fake handoff by CK to the left side and then rolled naked to the right but Walker runs his route a yard out of bounds. Come on down McDonald!
  • 3rd and 15 and I noticed two Ravens signaling after CK audibled. They knew it was a run play and Gore was lucky to get 3 yards; this happened all game long...mostly Lewis late signaling. They even signaled to what side the run was going (it appeared).
  • Brooks jumps offsides on 3rd and long, incomplete. The next 3rd down play is the simple TD to Boldin.
  • Boldin lined up in the slot in the RZ, faked an inside move fooling Bowman and Whitner had no chance with his height to help over-the-top and he was late covering. Perpetual problem for our RZ defense. That AND it was the exact same play ran in the NE game for a TD. Poor scouting defense (if any at all); not sure if that's on Fangio and/or the players. Media said they always throw for the EZ when in the RZ. Yup. Willis and Goldson were covering Torrey Smith outside. Pita was mismatched on Rogers in single coverage (on the outside) as well. Easy TD; take your pick. Spread us out and attack the short S.
  • Like the NFCCG against the Giants, first down production killed us (lead to very tough 2nd and 3rd downs)...good defensive coaching on the Raven's part. First downs, our one-receiver option was often covered and CK was forced to scramble early/often.
  • When we ran the Q formation, I noticed the 2 WR's we had were almost always on the same side...making it easy to defend.
  • Anytime we were inside the 10, they ran a 0 (or ILB or some form of a) blitz.
  • Odd technique by both Whitner/Brown...Flacco is sprinting backwards running (15 yards) from Aldon in a full straight line sprint. Falacco is on the opposite hash mark and throws a ball to the other sideline of the field across his body. Both times the WR comes back for a 10 yard gain and both times, neither Whitner nor Brown played the ball. That ball was in the air for over 3+ seconds. No awareness at all. Conversely, they almost got a pick 6 on a similar play by CK. That is all technique...keeping the WR in front of you and your eyes on the QB/ball. Whitner is VERY slow in reacting...speed...recovery even when he was covering Pita on this play. Obviously, even with a pass rush (Brooks too), Flacco had ZERO fear launching it up to his WR's. I don't think that is just trust. I think they saw a weakness in the film room...we don't play the ball well at all in the air and don't play the ball at all, period. Makes me wonder if the technique was different as our our PD's and INT's went way down compared to the previous year.
  • Pass rush and pressure was better than I thought.

Second Quarter: Down 21-6
  • James had a nice 9-yard run inside out of the Q formation. We never went back to him again inside despite Gore also getting huge chunks inside out of this formation. Instead we run the Q but James lateral who then runs right into their OLB's containing b/c of CK and subsequently has to ad lib and fumbles.
  • Stout front 7 except when Sopoaga was undercut man-on-man. Ravens had no chance at running for the most part. Should have ignored it and ILB run blitzed much more. Eventually Flacco's luck would have run out IMHO. One note is that we still struggled covering RB's out of the backfield esp. on 1st downs (b/c the ILB's were forced into coverage).
  • Whitner continued to be picked on in coverage all over the field 1on1 on various TE's on both sides of the field and down the middle in the RZ (personal foul in the RZ too; gave up 3 easy TD's today; Boldin/Pita/Jones). No idea where Goldson (did he play this game?) was or why he was not assigned to TE's on his side of the field, at least...late as always. How bad was that Pita TD? Pita was THE ONLY receiver on that play (max protection) and Willis couldn't cover his 7 yard straight route underneath and of course, Whitner is late, crawling on his knees after the catch. Pathetic. How about a jam at the LOS at least. That goes for the DB's as well.
  • Fumble and INT, um, yeah...both hurt badly...awesome ST stop on the FG though; Willis, you made up for it on a heady play! The Ravens obviously saw something in our FG unit and tried to exploit it. Conversely, perhaps we should not have had Akers kick it short to J.Jones on a full sprint? Hmmm.
  • But the subsequent 3 and out lead to an immediate TD all under 3 minutes to go in the first half; lost yards again on 1st down. Another draw on 3rd and long. The Ravens went for it...we played ultra conservative the first half. Period.
  • Culliver had the only blanket coverages in the first half (minus the jump-ball play). Double moves KILLED our secondary (Bowman, Willis, Culliver, Goldson, Whitner x3, etc.). They saw this on film and obviously exploited it this game. Whitner bit on the Jones TD as well leaving Culliver trailing solo. You could say Whitner accounted for 3 easy TD's this game alone...so why do we rip on Culliver so much? Each time he was trailing a WR solo who continued his route deep in the play and he had no S help at all and both we deep jump ball bombs where the WR had a clear visual advantage. Culliver will be fine if he gets help.
  • Like how the Ravens used Boldin in as a slot and also ran him from the outside across the middle in the RZ after spreading us out. Take notes HarRoMan!
  • Ironically, the end to the first half was almost exactly the same as the end of the game! 2nd and 2 from the 7 yard line. 35 seconds to go. 0 blitz. 2 or less yards gained on a run up the gut. Next play we roll naked right with no uncovered options (Crabtree again). Total yards = 0. We only get 3 pts...Roman saw EXACTLY how the Ravens would play us at the end of the game at the end of the first half. And he called the same exact offensive plays/series. Sad!
Well written, well explained, and salty. I like salty. Take some sand and rub that s**t into the wound. We will recover from this, they will learn and get better, and I believe we will see number six.
Originally posted by susweel:
man f**k that game I dont know why anybody would wonna re-live it.

This, I'm gonna rewatch next years superbowl after we win it. Last year was a warm up.
Originally posted by fropwns:
Well written, well explained, and salty. I like salty. Take some sand and rub that s**t into the wound. We will recover from this, they will learn and get better, and I believe we will see number six.

Absolutely! Salt makes the wounds heal quicker! Sand? I live by the beach so I'm cool with that too. Haha. Live and learn and it's advantageous knowing every single one of our weaknesses are rolled up into one game. Build from it...
  • Slow start
  • Bone-headed penalties
  • Poor use of TO's
  • OC not recognizing how the defense plays us in critical situations
  • Out-coached (Ravens were more prepared, schemed better and exploited our weaknesses/tendencies)
  • Not playing to our strengths (using Gore or VD in the RZ)
  • Late calls coming in
  • Poor technique by all DB's (Ravens absolutely targeted Whitner all game long - 3 TDs in the 1st half alone)
  • Etc...there are more but clearly, our work has been cut out for us and I can see how we've already recognized many of these with just our off season moves (personnel/draft/FA moves, getting VD involved with the WR's, hiring Mangini, extending Roman, etc.). We'll see how HaRoMan and Fangio adjust to all the other areas related to coaching, scheme, technique, game plans, adjustments, game management, etc.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 10, 2013 at 9:13 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by fropwns:

Absolutely! Salt makes the wounds heal quicker! Sand? I live by the beach so I'm cool with that too. Haha. Live and learn and it's advantageous knowing every single one of our weaknesses are rolled up into one game. Build from it...
  • Slow start
  • Bone-headed penalties
  • Poor use of TO's
  • OC not recognizing how the defense plays us in critical situations
  • Out-coached (Ravens were more prepared, schemed better and exploited our weaknesses/tendencies)
  • Not playing to our strengths (using Gore or VD in the RZ)
  • Late calls coming in
  • Poor technique by all DB's (Ravens absolutely targeted Whitner all game long - 3 TDs in the 1st half alone)
  • Etc...there are more but clearly, our work has been cut out for us and I can see how we've already recognized many of these with just our off season moves (personnel/draft/FA moves, getting VD involved with the WR's, hiring Mangini, extending Roman, etc.). We'll see how HaRoMan and Fangio adjust to all the other areas related to coaching, scheme, technique, game plans, adjustments, game management, etc.

Just about all of our mistakes can be justified, except for the illegal procedure penalty to start the game, especially with 2 weeks to prepare. That is completely inexcusable and I for one believe that penalty completely changed the face of the game.
Already put this one behind me, but I respect what you do and are doing here, NC.

I deleted this one soon after our loss, and have no regrets. From my memory... our offense was ineffective in half 1.. our D was really outschemed in half 1.. Flacco had a Ponderesque performance (meaning, Ponder played above and beyond when the Vikes beat us).. our offense came roaring back after the blackout.. we had one last chance to atone for our poor play early on... and that chance was choked away.

That's about all the reminder I can stomach. I feel sick just typing this much.
NC , haven't read that in a while, but the thot occurred to me...maybe you should send a copy to fangio and roman...ah, heck, to JH also? It is terrific, in a first half that was really hard to watch....instructional, and picking up on the inside blitz whenever we were in the RZ was slick. The similarity of the two ends of halves, even tho I have read this before, is mindblowing...yet it helped roman nary a squidge. One word. Pathetic.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Already put this one behind me, but I respect what you do and are doing here, NC.

I deleted this one soon after our loss, and have no regrets. From my memory... our offense was ineffective in half 1.. our D was really outschemed in half 1.. Flacco had a Ponderesque performance (meaning, Ponder played above and beyond when the Vikes beat us).. our offense came roaring back after the blackout.. we had one last chance to atone for our poor play early on... and that chance was choked away.

That's about all the reminder I can stomach. I feel sick just typing this much.

LOL, totally understandable. Totally. It was interesting rewatching it...will do the 2nd half later this week...but in previous games we lost (Ponder), usually one or two things were more salient than others (e.g. secondary fell apart against NE and Seattle, missed FG's against the Rams, etc.). But this game? It absolutely magnified all of our "little issues" to the Nth-degree. And we had all of them even like you noted, the tale-of-two-halves; all the good and bad about our team.

I'm very curious to see how our coaching staff rectifies all their issues as well...despite having one of the best coaching staffs in the NFL, they do have a ton of issues they also need to work on. I will now be watching all of these things during pre season and early on in the season to see if they too are getting better today, over yesterday.

The Quest for Six in back on...
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
NC , haven't read that in a while, but the thot occurred to me...maybe you should send a copy to fangio and roman...ah, heck, to JH also? It is terrific, in a first half that was really hard to watch....instructional, and picking up on the inside blitz whenever we were in the RZ was slick. The similarity of the two ends of halves, even tho I have read this before, is mindblowing...yet it helped roman nary a squidge. One word. Pathetic.

Address? Haha
Nice confirmation from Boldin on how they normally game plan (pick on 1 or 2 players) and specifically, how they targeted us which is VERY clear if you watch just the first half of the Superbowl.

"Baltimore spread the 49ers out, particularly in the first half, allowing Boldin to run through pockets over the middle and force Bowman and fellow All-Pro linebacker Patrick Willis to chase faster receivers and tight ends."

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20130726/wire/130729618

All game long Willis/Bowman were trailing in the RZ and Whitner was late or out of position for EASY TD's right down the middle of the field.
I hate John Harbaugh

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I hate John Harbaugh

John tries to use some of Jim's sayings. As iron sharpens iron, man sharpens men is just one of the sayings he uses.