There are 77 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

SuperBowl Notes - It's time...

• boast
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by cciowa:
second and goal from the five yard line with the best run game and line in the nfl, even after little james got two yards on first down against a run heavy defense,, is all i remember well that and the cute bud commercial

Did you see this bullet?
  • Ironically, the end to the first half was almost exactly the same as the end of the game! 2nd and 2 from the 7 yard line. 35 seconds to go. 0 blitz. 2 or less yards gained on a run up the gut. Next play we roll naked right with no uncovered options (Crabtree again). Total yards = 0. We only get 3 pts...Roman saw EXACTLY how the Ravens would play us at the end of the game at the end of the first half. And he called the same exact offensive plays/series. Sad!

we should extend Roman! errrrrrrr...
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Dahl isn't going to start...he's garbage and not even in the same class as the First Team All-Pro in Goldson...Robinson also unproven.. Crossing fingers for Reid
Lattimore doesn't help us this year whatsoever, Hampton's got no chance behind Gore, Hunter, James, and Dixon

Boldin however gives us a huge target and I've always loved watching him play

Overall it's just too early to tell

Geesh pessimist!

Hunter is critical to our run game and is back now, James has a full off season with us and Roman may be forced to use him better, Lattimore could be our future and Hampton may surprise quite a few...elevate the competition. That's not an improvement?

Agreed about the S's but there may be more of a competition at the S spot than you imagine. Whitner gave up a league leading 14 TD's last year (think it may be higher). You seriously think Dahl would give up more? Either way, his coverage and his responsibilities to cover the TE's in the RZ will be under the microscope this off season. And now, either way, we have more competition and veteran depth who also tipped us off to our telegraphing of plays.

Now let's play it out on the field and see if this coaching staff and FO really learned from this game, b/c like I said, it's a perfect microcasm to all our issues in one single game (including getting the calls in late, TO issues and not learning from in-game patterns).
Originally posted by susweel:
I cant wait for the season to start. I have a void in sports entertainment right now.

Me too brother, me too!
I cant wait for the season to start. I have a void in sports entertainment right now.

Me too brother, me too!

I second that... I just can't get into MLB like I used too. And ironically, the Giants are actually good. When I was a big fan, they couldn't beat the damn Braves ... Anyway, is it TC yet?
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Me too brother, me too!

I second that... I just can't get into MLB like I used too. And ironically, the Giants are actually good. When I was a big fan, they couldn't beat the damn Braves ... Anyway, is it TC yet?

Oh I remember those Braves years...that one year we had like 103 wins and didn't get into the playoffs b/c of them. Arizona. Last 3 years have been epic...looking pretty bad this year but they have a tendency to catch fire the 2nd half. But yeah, let's get this show on the road. It's Niner time!
Geesh pessimist!

Hunter is critical to our run game and is back now, James has a full off season with us and Roman may be forced to use him better, Lattimore could be our future and Hampton may surprise quite a few...elevate the competition. That's not an improvement?

Agreed about the S's but there may be more of a competition at the S spot than you imagine. Whitner gave up a league leading 14 TD's last year (think it may be higher). You seriously think Dahl would give up more? Either way, his coverage and his responsibilities to cover the TE's in the RZ will be under the microscope this off season. And now, either way, we have more competition and veteran depth who also tipped us off to our telegraphing of plays.

Now let's play it out on the field and see if this coaching staff and FO really learned from this game, b/c like I said, it's a perfect microcasm to all our issues in one single game (including getting the calls in late, TO issues and not learning from in-game patterns).

agreed
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
agreed

Put me down with Command, sincal, as I think the # of potential DBs brot into camp will end up being a positive. Hey, I don't know if dahl is dipschidt, mediocre or way better than Whitner. Also, we need pass defenders , not guys who can tackle receivers who just caught a pass. That is the picture that comes to mind last yr of our DBs: nice tackle after the completion. That drove me nutty. A shut down corner is a guy who isn't making tackles of receivers who just caught a pass . Shut down guys actually break up the pass. My, what a novel idea. Yet that was Dashon last yr...nice tackle on the receiver who just caught the pass for first down.

I don't know how many guys were actually invited to camp, but we had a boatload of DBs. Good on Coach and trent for bringing in new blood. Let 'em fight it out. But please, this yr let's get some guys back there that actually PREVENT passes being caught.
Could you imagine if we had Chicago's secondary?

I'd kill for maybe just Jennings or Tillman.

I'm trying to figure out how our secondary got exposed so bad. Couldn't JUST be pass rush....

I think teams figured out stuff last offseason to beat our secondary and not be so frightened of the run.

Now that I think of it, I think the ability to run against us was why our defense dropped last year. Until the Vikings game, teams were just intimidated and went all pass. Even a secondary like ours could take advantage, esp. with a healthy Aldon.
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:
second and goal from the five yard line with the best run game and line in the nfl, even after little james got two yards on first down against a run heavy defense,, is all i remember well that and the cute bud commercial

Did you see this bullet?
  • Ironically, the end to the first half was almost exactly the same as the end of the game! 2nd and 2 from the 7 yard line. 35 seconds to go. 0 blitz. 2 or less yards gained on a run up the gut. Next play we roll naked right with no uncovered options (Crabtree again). Total yards = 0. We only get 3 pts...Roman saw EXACTLY how the Ravens would play us at the end of the game at the end of the first half. And he called the same exact offensive plays/series. Sad!

Well to stay with the vibe of the thread, I feel we upgraded this issue with Mangini. This is just speculation but maybe Roman is great at game planning and calling plays but gets stubborn or not quick enough to react when the opposing team has him read.

Add Mangini who will be throwing the wrinkles at Roman all week and then being in the booth can see how the opposing team is reacting defensively and help Roman counter quicker.
[ Edited by dwett on Jul 9, 2013 at 3:49 PM ]
Originally posted by dwett:
Originally posted by boast:

Did you see this bullet?

Well to stay with the vibe of the thread, I feel we upgraded this issue with Mangini. This is just speculation but maybe Roman is great at game planning and calling plays but gets stubborn or not quick enough to react when the opposing team has him read.

Add Mangini who will be throwing the wrinkles at Roman all week and then being in the booth can see how the opposing team is reacting defensively and help Roman counter quicker.

This...said it in another post but I think this is where Mangini makes his money/mark! No doubt...
the football gods do owe us one
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Well when Frank announces his retirement during the divisional round next year, the gods better get him a SB.

I've watched the game about 10 times and shut it off when we get to the 7 yard line. The Niners looked leaner and faster. The Ravens were so slow, watching the replays once the Niners backs got beyond the line of scrimmage the Raven front 7 stopped. The Niners made so many errors whereas the Rice fumble was their only miscue. If anyone out there can tell me the last time a team got beat that had a 300 yard passer, 100 yard rusher and Two 100 yard receivers I'd like to know.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
it would have been nice to see the coaches, who are supposed to do what is best for the team,,,, blitz bowman and patrick a few times instead of having two pro bowl guys set around playing f**king checkers while the ravens have all day to throw

That too but the Ravens owe this championship in large part to Boldin. How many times was Flacco getting chased and 10 yards in the backfield and just whipped it up and Boldin caught it. Culliver is so bad tracking the ball in the air. Yeah, we couldn't finish sacks on him. Should have blitzed some more but Fangio played the game like he did all the others in the season. Still with Justin and Aldon banged up might have been the time to blitz.

And side note if we win one in the near future it will take a little bit of the sting out of 2011 and 2012 but I'll always look back at those 2 years and think we blew it.

Boldin won almost every playoff game and the Super Bowl for the Ravens. Without him, they are out in the first round.

And why blitz when we have Aldon chasing Flacco all over the place? Flacco deserves a lot of credit for having the guts to avoid sacks and trust Boldin to win every Hail Mary jump ball.