There are 133 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

SuperBowl Notes - It's time...

If you're not getting better today...

No doubt many of you will never watch this game (understandable) but I've got to tell you, it was very educational and really helped highlight what we need to do this offseason to get better. I only want to focus on OUR play...not the controversy.

Here were some of my notes...where we suffered and you should be able to see where we improved in personnel after this off season and other technique, scheme, etc. we need to improve upon:

First Quarter: Down 7-3
  • Illegal formation right out of the gate? Is that on Crabtree or Roman? It also speaks to how they may not have practiced that play to perfection like in the old WCO days...first 20 plays were scripted and practiced to perfection.
  • Nice fake handoff by CK to the left side and then rolled naked to the right but Walker runs his route a yard out of bounds. Come on down McDonald!
  • 3rd and 15 and I noticed two Ravens signaling after CK audibled. They knew it was a run play and Gore was lucky to get 3 yards; this happened all game long...mostly Lewis late signaling. They even signaled to what side the run was going (it appeared).
  • Brooks jumps offsides on 3rd and long, incomplete. The next 3rd down play is the simple TD to Boldin.
  • Boldin lined up in the slot in the RZ, faked an inside move fooling Bowman and Whitner had no chance with his height to help over-the-top and he was late covering. Perpetual problem for our RZ defense. That AND it was the exact same play ran in the NE game for a TD. Poor scouting defense (if any at all); not sure if that's on Fangio and/or the players. Media said they always throw for the EZ when in the RZ. Yup. Willis and Goldson were covering Torrey Smith outside. Pita was mismatched on Rogers in single coverage (on the outside) as well. Easy TD; take your pick. Spread us out and attack the short S.
  • Like the NFCCG against the Giants, first down production killed us (lead to very tough 2nd and 3rd downs)...good defensive coaching on the Raven's part. First downs, our one-receiver option was often covered and CK was forced to scramble early/often.
  • When we ran the Q formation, I noticed the 2 WR's we had were almost always on the same side...making it easy to defend.
  • Anytime we were inside the 10, they ran a 0 (or ILB or some form of a) blitz.
  • Odd technique by both Whitner/Brown...Flacco is sprinting backwards running (15 yards) from Aldon in a full straight line sprint. Falacco is on the opposite hash mark and throws a ball to the other sideline of the field across his body. Both times the WR comes back for a 10 yard gain and both times, neither Whitner nor Brown played the ball. That ball was in the air for over 3+ seconds. No awareness at all. Conversely, they almost got a pick 6 on a similar play by CK. That is all technique...keeping the WR in front of you and your eyes on the QB/ball. Whitner is VERY slow in reacting...speed...recovery even when he was covering Pita on this play. Obviously, even with a pass rush (Brooks too), Flacco had ZERO fear launching it up to his WR's. I don't think that is just trust. I think they saw a weakness in the film room...we don't play the ball well at all in the air and don't play the ball at all, period. Makes me wonder if the technique was different as our our PD's and INT's went way down compared to the previous year.
  • Pass rush and pressure was better than I thought.

Second Quarter: Down 21-6
  • James had a nice 9-yard run inside out of the Q formation. We never went back to him again inside despite Gore also getting huge chunks inside out of this formation. Instead we run the Q but James lateral who then runs right into their OLB's containing b/c of CK and subsequently has to ad lib and fumbles.
  • Stout front 7 except when Sopoaga was undercut man-on-man. Ravens had no chance at running for the most part. Should have ignored it and ILB run blitzed much more. Eventually Flacco's luck would have run out IMHO. One note is that we still struggled covering RB's out of the backfield esp. on 1st downs (b/c the ILB's were forced into coverage).
  • Whitner continued to be picked on in coverage all over the field 1on1 on various TE's on both sides of the field and down the middle in the RZ (personal foul in the RZ too; gave up 3 easy TD's today; Boldin/Pita/Jones). No idea where Goldson (did he play this game?) was or why he was not assigned to TE's on his side of the field, at least...late as always. How bad was that Pita TD? Pita was THE ONLY receiver on that play (max protection) and Willis couldn't cover his 7 yard straight route underneath and of course, Whitner is late, crawling on his knees after the catch. Pathetic. How about a jam at the LOS at least. That goes for the DB's as well.
  • Fumble and INT, um, yeah...both hurt badly...awesome ST stop on the FG though; Willis, you made up for it on a heady play! The Ravens obviously saw something in our FG unit and tried to exploit it. Conversely, perhaps we should not have had Akers kick it short to J.Jones on a full sprint? Hmmm.
  • But the subsequent 3 and out lead to an immediate TD all under 3 minutes to go in the first half; lost yards again on 1st down. Another draw on 3rd and long. The Ravens went for it...we played ultra conservative the first half. Period.
  • Culliver had the only blanket coverages in the first half (minus the jump-ball play). Double moves KILLED our secondary (Bowman, Willis, Culliver, Goldson, Whitner x3, etc.). They saw this on film and obviously exploited it this game. Whitner bit on the Jones TD as well leaving Culliver trailing solo. You could say Whitner accounted for 3 easy TD's this game alone...so why do we rip on Culliver so much? Each time he was trailing a WR solo who continued his route deep in the play and he had no S help at all and both we deep jump ball bombs where the WR had a clear visual advantage. Culliver will be fine if he gets help.
  • Like how the Ravens used Boldin in as a slot and also ran him from the outside across the middle in the RZ after spreading us out. Take notes HarRoMan!
  • Ironically, the end to the first half was almost exactly the same as the end of the game! 2nd and 2 from the 7 yard line. 35 seconds to go. 0 blitz. 2 or less yards gained on a run up the gut. Next play we roll naked right with no uncovered options (Crabtree again). Total yards = 0. We only get 3 pts...Roman saw EXACTLY how the Ravens would play us at the end of the game at the end of the first half. And he called the same exact offensive plays/series. Sad!
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 9, 2013 at 12:45 PM ]
I watched this game like a week ago. That first play of the game we would have went from 1st and 10 at like the 40 to 1st and 15 at the 10ish yard line with that illegal procedure. So right off the bat that could have changed the game entirely. Same with I think it was the first defensive series Brooks jumps offsides (big surprise ) on a 3rd down and instead of them kicking a field goal they end up getting a touchdown. Those 2 things were big and then the James fumble.

Anyone who has been on here for awhile has seen me talk about Brooks' off sides problem for 4-5 years now. I said a long time ago why don't any of the coaches talk to him about it, help him with it or have him practice it. If they have he is just stupid. Seems like ever big situation he does it.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 9, 2013 at 11:09 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
second and goal from the five yard line with the best run game and line in the nfl, even after little james got two yards on first down against a run heavy defense,, is all i remember well that and the cute bud commercial
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I watched this game like a week ago. That first play of the game we would have went from 1st and 10 at like the 40 to 1st and 15 at the 10ish yard line with that illegal procedure. So right off the bat that could have changed the game entirely. Same with I think it was the first defensive series Brooks jumps offsides (big surprise ) on a 3rd down and instead of them kicking a field goal they end up getting a touchdown. Those 2 things were big and then the James fumble.
defense bad for nearly the entire game
offense bad in first half
special ed teams were their usual trainwreck
terrible job by the coaches at the end, not allowing the team to win the game because they wanted to get cute
you do that stuff in the super bowl, you will lose and we did
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Anyone who has been on here for awhile has seen me talk about Brooks' off sides problem for 4-5 years now. I said a long time ago why don't any of the coaches talk to him about it, help him with it or have him practice it. If they have he is just stupid. Seems like ever big situation he does it.
it would have been nice to see the coaches, who are supposed to do what is best for the team,,,, blitz bowman and patrick a few times instead of having two pro bowl guys set around playing f**king checkers while the ravens have all day to throw
Originally posted by cciowa:
terrible job by the coaches at the end, not allowing the team to win the game because they wanted to get cute

out of all that you listed that went wrong..we still had a chance to win !
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

and that is the toughest thing to deal with bud

All those also. Injuries really killed us the last two years. If Ginn doesn't go down two years ago and all the WR's don't go down last year year we might have won both. Also, Haralson hurt and I know everyone talks about Aldon not getting sacks due to Justin's injury but Aldon had a bad shoulder injury as well which obviously is critical to a pass rusher. It's a good thing we were deep but when you lose Williams, Manningham, Hunter, Haralson, Justin and Aldon is banged up it's hard to recover from.
it would have been nice to see the coaches, who are supposed to do what is best for the team,,,, blitz bowman and patrick a few times instead of having two pro bowl guys set around playing f**king checkers while the ravens have all day to throw

That too but the Ravens owe this championship in large part to Boldin. How many times was Flacco getting chased and 10 yards in the backfield and just whipped it up and Boldin caught it. Culliver is so bad tracking the ball in the air. Yeah, we couldn't finish sacks on him. Should have blitzed some more but Fangio played the game like he did all the others in the season. Still with Justin and Aldon banged up might have been the time to blitz.

And side note if we win one in the near future it will take a little bit of the sting out of 2011 and 2012 but I'll always look back at those 2 years and think we blew it.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 9, 2013 at 11:21 AM ]
I think I've rewatched the game about 20-25 times.

It'll always sting, but I have moved on from it for the most part. Kaep actually played very well in that throughout the game and it was abundantly clear that Phil Simms has a mancrush on Colin Kaepernick.

They just couldn't punch it into the endzone at several points of the game and the fumble by James was huge. Killed the drive that would most likely have resulted in points and then the Ravens marched and scored.

Then add in the late deep TD to Jones and the following KO return....bad mojo.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jul 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM ]

not really, if we lost big and couldn't make it a game..i would feel that we weren't a real SB team with a lot of holes.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
All those also. Injuries really killed us the last two years. If Ginn doesn't go down two years ago and all the WR's don't go down last year year we might have won both. Also, Haralson hurt and I know everyone talks about Aldon not getting sacks due to Justin's injury but Aldon had a bad shoulder injury as well which obviously is critical to a pass rusher. It's a good thing we were deep but when you lose Williams, Manningham, Hunter, Haralson, Justin and Aldon is banged up it's hard to recover from.
that is why I am so pissed about the way they did not use our two all pros in the super bowl,,,, we had brooks, justin and aldon all hurt so you would think they would bring those guys with some pressure to make up for the guys who were hurt,,, god damn it all to hell... oh but its ok because we signed higgins or huggins or whoever the f**k he was.. yes lets go sign a guy who we know will be suspended for several games,,, and then he did not do a god damn thing for us. I wish they would have signed julian peterson for the f**king good higgins,huggins,, whoever the f**k he was did for us
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

not really, if we lost big and couldn't make it a game..i would feel that we weren't a real SB team with a lot of holes.

I am not as mentally tough as you are I can not get over it,, i can not draw any positives out of it

Added...was focusing mostly on the plays than anything. Yeah, on that alignment, they had him STANDING up over the center (inside) so he flinched when the C fake snapped it. But this is an area the coaches need to teach these guys to watch the movement of the ball and not the players and to have an eye on the ball no matter where or how they line up esp. the OLB position b/c they are the pass rushers and are reliant upon that first step!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
That too but the Ravens owe this championship in large part to Boldin. How many times was Flacco getting chased and 10 yards in the backfield and just whipped it up and Boldin caught it. Culliver is so bad tracking the ball in the air. Yeah, we couldn't finish sacks on him. Should have blitzed some more but Fangio played the game like he did all the others in the season. Still with Justin and Aldon banged up might have been the time to blitz.

And side note if we win one in the near future it will take a little bit of the sting out of 2011 and 2012 but I'll always look back at those 2 years and think we blew it.
yes i forgot about our keystone kops secondary that day bloody f**king hell,, and brooks had a bad shoulder to and now i have a headache