LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

Over/Under rated NFL.com steve young overrated??? WTH.....???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GarciaStinks:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
This is so accurate, I appreciated Young a lot but he failed how many times in the playoffs with loaded teams

0 times. The 1993 49ers had a horrible defense. The 1992 49ers had a mediocre, declining defense. The 1995 49ers...had one offensive weapon, Jerry Rice. Unless you consider Derek Loville, Adam Walker, a beat up John Taylor with one foot into a retirement home, J.J. Stokes, and Brent Jones with a torn MCL, wearing a knee brace, "weapons."

He played only 1 or 2 series against the Packers in the 96 playoff game. The 1997 49ers had no running game with Hearst coming off the broken collarbone and looking horrible. That was the only one where you can make a case Young really had a chance to make any difference in the outcome, but that was the year Rice was out with a torn ACL and Owens was still developing. Jones was banged up and headed into retirement. Stokes...well, we know the deal with Stokes.

1998, another terrible defense. Hearst broke his ankle on the opening series of the loss to Atlanta.

The 49ers lost to the superior team in the playoffs in those years they didn't win with Young.

People also act like Montana's games against the Giants and Vikings never happened.

1998- def 13th off 3rd (both are points) loss to Atl 20-18 Young - 3 picks
1997- def 3rd Off 5th loss to GB 23-10 0 TD 1 INT
1996- def 4th Off 3rd. Loss to GB 35-14. 7 attempts got hurt.
1995- def 2nd Off 1st Loss to GB 27-17. 2 INTs
1994- Super Bowl Win
1993- def 16th Off 1st. Loss to Dal 38-21. 2TDs 1 INT
1992- def 3rd Off 1st. Loss to Dal 30-20. 1TD 2 INTs
1991- def 4th Off 3rd. 10-6 didn't make the playoffs.

And you can say they had no weapons all you want just because 20 years later They are not household names but they still ranked in the top five in offense every year. Six years of those years they had a top 4 defense to got with it. I love Young, but that is some under achieving.

Postseason Passing

Joe Montana: 460 of 734 (62.7 percent) for 5,772 yards (7.9 YPA), 45 touchdowns, and 21 interceptions.

Quarterback rating of 95.5.

Steve Young: 275 of 447 (61.5 percent) for 3,118 yards (7.0 YPA), 20 touchdowns, and 12 interceptions.

Quarterback rating of 86.1.

During the postseason, it is Joe Montana who ranks ahead of Steve Young in all of the passing categories. As a matter of fact, Montana's postseason quarterback rating actually increased 3.2 points while Steve Young's rating decreased by 10.7 points.

While Young's postseason quarterback rating is still higher than the career quarterback rating of Jim Kelly (84.4), the fact that his productivity sunk while Montana's increased certainly plays a factor in this evaluation.
troy aikman is WAAAAAAAY more overrated. He was the 3rd best QB in the 90's behind elway and favre.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
troy aikman is WAAAAAAAY more overrated. He was the 3rd best QB in the 90's behind young and favre.

fixed
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
Steve Young is the best 49ers QB EVER. yeah I said it

My connection to Steve is greater than my connection to Joe. Steve was incredible to watch, but Joe was just clutch, and the Joe showed up in the big game. I think in the minds of most Niner fans that saw both, Joe was better, but we love Steve more because he had this incredible journey to overcome Joe's shadow, and he did it in remarkable fashion. What sucks for Steve is that he only got one ring, and that his career was cut prematurely short.
Unfortunately he was the Peyton Manning of the 90s. Great player, unstoppable during the regular season. Always coming up short in the postseason. I agree that Niner brass did not do much to help him in terms of a running game and a defense for long stretches, but he still had the GOAT and a pretty potent offense to work with for most of his career.

Should have beaten Dallas in 92
Should have EASILY beaten GB in 95
Should have beaten GB in 97
Should have beaten ATL in 98 (although Minn with Moss/Carter/Cunningham would have raped us in the NFCC game)

Young could easily have had 2 more rings on his fingers, but for some reason he just couldnt pull it thorugh during the playoffs. Of course, it doesnt hurt that most of the coaches playing against him were somehow connected to Bill Walsh and knew specifically how to counter our offense. But still...
Originally posted by kray28:

My connection to Steve is greater than my connection to Joe. Steve was incredible to watch, but Joe was just clutch, and the Joe showed up in the big game. I think in the minds of most Niner fans that saw both, Joe was better, but we love Steve more because he had this incredible journey to overcome Joe's shadow, and he did it in remarkable fashion. What sucks for Steve is that he only got one ring, and that his career was cut prematurely short.

Agreed. Plus Steve always came off a a "true" Niners, the way he represented himself and the team during and even after his career. Joe, although connected to the team via 4 rings, always seemed bitter after his run with us. Doesnt really do much to show his connection to the team, and if Im not mistaken he wrote a memoir once about his NFL career and he put his KC jersey on the cover (? someone please confirm).
  • dugo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Originally posted by kray28:

Agreed. Plus Steve always came off a a "true" Niners, the way he represented himself and the team during and even after his career. Joe, although connected to the team via 4 rings, always seemed bitter after his run with us. Doesnt really do much to show his connection to the team, and if Im not mistaken he wrote a memoir once about his NFL career and he put his KC jersey on the cover (? someone please confirm).

I'm just glad we can have a discussion of two great QB's who played for the niners back to back.The fact that both are different goes without saying. Montana will always be great..Young will always be great! both for different reasons ,,But great is great and both played for the Niners and when it comes down to it thats all that really matters IMHO
Steve Young was the Peyton Manning of his generation. Thats not to compare them in any way other than to say the playoffs were not kind to Steve young. Both very good/great QB's that did not/have not accomplished what should have been accomplished in the post season.
Unfortunately he was the Peyton Manning of the 90s. Great player, unstoppable during the regular season. Always coming up short in the postseason. I agree that Niner brass did not do much to help him in terms of a running game and a defense for long stretches, but he still had the GOAT and a pretty potent offense to work with for most of his career.

Should have beaten Dallas in 92
Should have EASILY beaten GB in 95
Should have beaten GB in 97
Should have beaten ATL in 98 (although Minn with Moss/Carter/Cunningham would have raped us in the NFCC game)

Young could easily have had 2 more rings on his fingers, but for some reason he just couldnt pull it thorugh during the playoffs. Of course, it doesnt hurt that most of the coaches playing against him were somehow connected to Bill Walsh and knew specifically how to counter our offense. But still...

posted my response before i read the whole thread. This.

Ill also add that Young had much more talented teams. Peyton never really had a team as balanced and strong as young until he arrived in Denver.
Originally posted by dugo:
I'm just glad we can have a discussion of two great QB's who played for the niners back to back.The fact that both are different goes without saying. Montana will always be great..Young will always be great! both for different reasons ,,But great is great and both played for the Niners and when it comes down to it thats all that really matters IMHO

If Young is great then Montana is greater or the greatest. Their game wasn't on the same level so the description used to describe them should be exactly the same, IMHO.

• dugo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by calinig4life:
Originally posted by dugo:

If Young is great then Montana is greater or the greatest. Their game wasn't on the same level so the description used to describe them should be exactly the same, IMHO.

I agree with you ,,Montana to me is the better of the two without a doubt .. But that doesn't take away from Young's game or his achievements ..its apples and oranges
'92 NFCCG, 49ers vs cowboys on NFL network tomorrow I believe.
While Steve was incredible, Joe was magic. But that is not where I'm going with that fact.

And indeed, numbers don't matter when you are factoring in all of the unending scenarios of their times.

The only numbers other than Joe's 4 perfect rings that standout are Joe's unbelievable, crazy from heaven, heroics and jaw dropping Superbowl performances. I am not sure there is a word that really describes it. People would dive on the in my house, people I didn't know would dive on the floor in bars, in offices, you name it....IN SHOCK when he did those insanely magical things.

That said, Steve was a lot like that too. Shoot if there wasn't Joe, then Steve was arguably the most feared PLAYMAKER in history.

Haters hate because Joe and Steve whopped their backsides. Period.

But it is a team sport and teams win or lose games. Steve had a great running game with Watters, great receivers, great defense. Everything. But you have to give credit to the teams that beat us in the playoffs with him at the helm. People like to say Aikman was overrated...B frikin S. Same goes for so many others in Steve's time and the teams we were up against. Those teams, as well as ours, were EPIC.

Steve was not overrated for a millisecond. The NFL was lucky to have Steve Young.

And he was OURS! Steve Young will always be YOURS! Don't mess with Steve or Some Niner Olineman gonna whopp you like they would always do if somebody got carried away trying to ruff up Steve.

[ Edited by 49erWay on Jul 15, 2013 at 8:05 PM ]
Steve was a champion. When they would purposely try to take out the greatest playmaker in the game at the time, he would carry it like a champ.

He would get up, walk off, sometimes limp off, sometimes hop on one leg but not look the fool(s) who hit him. Sometimes he would roll around on the ground and then get up in obvious serious pain but never look at them.

In the mean time fights would break out on the field, our Olineman would be clocking people, scrums broke out, all you saw was red on top of some other color on the ground lol.

Even our D would leave the bench and Ken Norton Jr. would be hittin fools in the face mask and pointing when they were down!

Man that was some serious stuff with Steve Young and the Niners in that time.

Whew... how blessed we are.

You got some big balls HudsonValley, but I think you nailed it.

And wasn't Steve Young on the '88 team that won a ring?
But he gets no credit for it? Why is that?

I am certainly no expert on football, but it seems to me Joe was injured and Steve got them into the playoffs that year.

I remember watching a video where Steve Sabol said that if Young didn't make that unbelievable play against the Vikings in 88 they wouldn't have even made it in. Sabol said something like it was the greatest individual act of athletic effort that he'd ever seen, Young breaking through all those players tackles.
He should know.
RIP Steve Sabol
Share 49ersWebzone