There are 191 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Over/Under rated NFL.com steve young overrated??? WTH.....???

Steve's rep was that of a prolific passer with great running skills.He is remembered for total domination in games. If he was some how remembered for great clutch performances, and had a rep for winning big in play off games, Id say he was over rated, but to say he is over rated because he failed in a few play off games is silly.

You could say Joe Montana was over rated, as Line backer, see line backing was not really what Joe was known for, by the way Steve Young, way over rated in his rep as great pole vaulter, and stir fry cook!

If you look at a guys weakest point, and discount his finest attributes, then you can say he's over rated, what a couple of ignorant ass hats these two "analyst's" are!
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Jul 9, 2013 at 10:02 AM ]
Steve Young = overrated, then article = didn't read.
/end
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Steve's rep was that of a prolific passer with great running skills.He is remembered for total domination in games. If he was some how remembered for great clutch performances, and had a rep for winning big in play off games, Id say he was over rated, but to say he is over rated because he failed in a few play off games is silly.

You could say Joe Montana was over rated, as Line backer, see line backing was not really what Joe was known for, by the way Steve Young, way over rated in his rep as great pole vaulter, and stir fry cook!

If you look at a guys weakest point, and discount his finest attributes, then you can say he's over rated, what a couple of ignorant ass hats these two "analyst's" are!

some might disagree, Joe Montana was a fine tackler

Ridiculous.
The article lost my attention when it said Joe was overrated in the preview. Bunch of trash.
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

some might disagree, Joe Montana was a fine tackler

Originally posted by midrdan:
Steve Young is rated right where he should be ... behind Montana.

EVERYBODY is behind Montana.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Steve Young is the best 49ers QB EVER. yeah I said it

if u are for real in my opinion. 2nd best ever mmaaybe.

Originally posted by Disp:
I love Young, but other than the Super Bowl year and 1998 wildcard game, he played pretty poorly against the Packers and Cowboys in the playoffs.

True @$$ statement
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
This is so accurate, I appreciated Young a lot but he failed how many times in the playoffs with loaded teams

0 times. The 1993 49ers had a horrible defense. The 1992 49ers had a mediocre, declining defense. The 1995 49ers...had one offensive weapon, Jerry Rice. Unless you consider Derek Loville, Adam Walker, a beat up John Taylor with one foot into a retirement home, J.J. Stokes, and Brent Jones with a torn MCL, wearing a knee brace, "weapons."

He played only 1 or 2 series against the Packers in the 96 playoff game. The 1997 49ers had no running game with Hearst coming off the broken collarbone and looking horrible. That was the only one where you can make a case Young really had a chance to make any difference in the outcome, but that was the year Rice was out with a torn ACL and Owens was still developing. Jones was banged up and headed into retirement. Stokes...well, we know the deal with Stokes.

1998, another terrible defense. Hearst broke his ankle on the opening series of the loss to Atlanta.

The 49ers lost to the superior team in the playoffs in those years they didn't win with Young.

People also act like Montana's games against the Giants and Vikings never happened.
Steve Young is not overrated. I'd say Marino, Elway, and Aikman are 3 QB's from the same era who are overrated. It kills me to see these guys get so much praise, and they were ranked ahead of Steve on the NFL top 100. During the 90's, Young was considered the better QB hands down. The debate was between Young and Favre. Aikman, Marino, and Elway were a distant 3rd.
Originally posted by GarciaStinks:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
This is so accurate, I appreciated Young a lot but he failed how many times in the playoffs with loaded teams

0 times. The 1993 49ers had a horrible defense. The 1992 49ers had a mediocre, declining defense. The 1995 49ers...had one offensive weapon, Jerry Rice. Unless you consider Derek Loville, Adam Walker, a beat up John Taylor with one foot into a retirement home, J.J. Stokes, and Brent Jones with a torn MCL, wearing a knee brace, "weapons."

He played only 1 or 2 series against the Packers in the 96 playoff game. The 1997 49ers had no running game with Hearst coming off the broken collarbone and looking horrible. That was the only one where you can make a case Young really had a chance to make any difference in the outcome, but that was the year Rice was out with a torn ACL and Owens was still developing. Jones was banged up and headed into retirement. Stokes...well, we know the deal with Stokes.

1998, another terrible defense. Hearst broke his ankle on the opening series of the loss to Atlanta.

The 49ers lost to the superior team in the playoffs in those years they didn't win with Young.

People also act like Montana's games against the Giants and Vikings never happened.

You're right that the defense didn't do him any favors in some of those games, but Young was playing on extremely talented teams and didn't play very well in NFC championship games.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Y/YounSt00/gamelog/post/

1992 vs. Cowboys: 1 TD, 2 Int
1993 vs. Cowboys: 1 TD, 1 Int
1995 vs. Packers: 0 TD, 2 Int
1996 vs. Packers: Basically didn't play cause of fractured ribs. Not his fault
1997 vs. Packers: 0 TD, 1 Int

We never scored more than 21 points in any of those games. For how ridiculously good he was in the regular season, he had a lot of stinkers in the playoffs when it counted.

Edit: Those aren't the lines from only NFC champ games. Those are all the games vs. the Packers and Cowboys other than the Super Bowl year and 1998 Wildcard.

To the bold, yet Montana still found a way to win 4 SBs' during his career.
No, the team found a way. Give up the point totals the 84, 88, and 89 team gave up in the playoffs, and with the healthy offensive nucleus they had...I'm pretty sure Young would have won rings, too.

Even the 81 Super Bowl largely came down to the goal line stand.
No, the team found a way. Give up the point totals the 84, 88, and 89 team gave up in the playoffs, and with the healthy offensive nucleus they had...I'm pretty sure Young would have won rings, too.

Originally posted by GarciaStinks:

At the end of their careers, the team with Montana found a way to win & the team with Young found a way to lose. When it come down to it, it a matter of opinion, mine is Montana & everyone else & it's not eeven close(Young included. Hopefully Kaep will have a say when his career is over).

To the bold, Young, Watters, Rice, Taylor, Jones was a good offensive nucleus too.
I love Young, but other than the Super Bowl year and 1998 wildcard game, he played pretty poorly against the Packers and Cowboys in the playoffs.

They had better teams.