LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 290 users in the forums

Over/Under rated NFL.com steve young overrated??? WTH.....???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Been saying this for years. Steve Young should historically be viewed as an extremely talented player that underachieved greatly. He wasn't the first and won't be the last. There is no question that he should have at least 2 more rings and possibly 3. Steve Young was and always will be an above average QB, that squandered his chances at promotion to greatness. Behind Joe then, now and always.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Steve Young is the best 49ers QB EVER. yeah I said it

Church.
  • Jiks
He is in the same boat as Elway, Marino, Aikman, Favre and many others outside of his timeline. None of these guys were GOAT's but anyone of them could have won a SB on any given year. They all just got in each others way.
Do the worms out there who hate the Niners never sleep? Its almost comical. Steve Young was so great there was actually debate at the time whether Joe or Steve should start. Madden made sure everybody heard it over and over and over, that Young was one of the most feared QB's of all time.

During the era of Steve Young, garbage like this never popped up once. The whole world knew Young was a major problem for the entire NFL and is was routine that he was called the best QB in the league when he was playing after Joe was done.

Give me a fricking break.

Worm who wrote the piece is surely a Bucks, Seaslob, Dollphin, or Bills fan.
Originally posted by Disp:
I love Young, but other than the Super Bowl year and 1998 wildcard game, he played pretty poorly against the Packers and Cowboys in the playoffs.

This is so accurate, I appreciated Young a lot but he failed how many times in the playoffs with loaded teams
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Young is prolly my 2nd Fav Niner ever, but only 1 SB is his downfall. As in individual player, he's great, but because of his position his greatness criteria is a bit different., He had great teams but couldn't beat the Packers not one time of note besides 98 and prolly could have had 2 more SBs.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Originally posted by Disp:
I love Young, but other than the Super Bowl year and 1998 wildcard game, he played pretty poorly against the Packers and Cowboys in the playoffs.

This is so accurate, I appreciated Young a lot but he failed how many times in the playoffs with loaded teams
these guys have said nothing wrong. especially vs the cowboys. to many homers here do not remember there was talk he could not win the big game and maybe just maybe its a good idea to trade him for derrick thomas to help out our defense, which needed help, give joe the keys and then groom bono to take over. I was very much in favor of that move. he had some nice stats but what good were they if he pissed big games down his legs. that was the mind set back then and it was not unwarranted
Many fans seem to believe that only one player, the QB, determines whether or not you win or lose a game. That sure is a slap in the face to the rest of the 21 starters on the team.
I will admit to being biased, since Steve Young is my all-time favorite player. And some of those 49ers teams were very talented...but others...? To gig Steve for not getting it done with "such a talented team" (to paraphrase) seems to me to forget all those years he was also "the best running back on the 49ers," as John Madden was fond of saying. Jerry Rice was of course excellent, but is not a whole team, and you just knew they were going to throw because the other option was...handing it off to Derek Loville? And other times the defense was no help...that '98 defense was AWFUL...he may not have been as good as Joe, but I don't think he's overrated.
no way is young overrated. he was a beast. he was playing during the hayday of beastly quarterbacks so he didnt win every year but he kept us in the top tier for a long time. brett favre owned our defense and we let charles hayley go to dallas, those two reasons are why we dont have more rings right now. that b*****d owned us after young and im pretty sure that piece of s**t would own kaepernick too if/when he comes back again. he just has our number. steve gets s**t for not being joe, but steve is a still a monster qb and one of the best ever to play. easily my favorite niner of all time

I disagree w/the clones from NFL.com.

First, they have Joe as over-rated.

All those clowns can do is woulda-coulda crap. The facts are the facts - Joe is # 1! Elway, Marino didn't play for 49ers so those hosebags can't use "What-If" scenario to pretend how could the other QB's could have been if they played for us. They didn't and their stats are their stats - period.

Steve is under-rated IMO.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by valrod33:
Steve Young is the best 49ers QB EVER. yeah I said it

meh. you're just too young to remember, that's why.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000210699/article/san-francisco-49ers-alltime-underrated-overrated-players

Holy f**kin s**t guys. They have the GOAT Joe Montana overrated?!!! WTF are they smoking? The greatest quarterback of all time, the most clutch in the most crucial of moments with 4 rings and he's overrated? These a*****es need to lose their job, straight up! That's a disgrace!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Many fans seem to believe that only one player, the QB, determines whether or not you win or lose a game. That sure is a slap in the face to the rest of the 21 starters on the team.

a big part of me wants to say , for years people blamed alex for all niner losses and then when he started to win games, it was all the defense ,,, but i will restrain myself
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000210699/article/san-francisco-49ers-alltime-underrated-overrated-players

Holy f**kin s**t guys. They have the GOAT Joe Montana overrated?!!! WTF are they smoking? The greatest quarterback of all time, the most clutch in the most crucial of moments with 4 rings and he's overrated? These a*****es need to lose their job, straight up! That's a disgrace!

This.
Share 49ersWebzone