There are 78 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Over/Under rated NFL.com steve young overrated??? WTH.....???

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/0ap2000000210358/San-Francisco-49ers-Most-underrated-overrated-players-of-all-time
Steve Young is the best 49ers QB EVER. yeah I said it
I love Young, but other than the Super Bowl year and 1998 wildcard game, he played pretty poorly against the Packers and Cowboys in the playoffs.
WAT THA FAQ! I love steve young!
Steve Young is rated right where he should be ... behind Montana.
HOF Qb
Steve Young overrated? Dear God, Bring the season already
Steve Young is HOF and Won a Super Bowl so is Dan Marino overrated?
Originally posted by Disp:
I love Young, but other than the Super Bowl year and 1998 wildcard game, he played pretty poorly against the Packers and Cowboys in the playoffs.

Poorly in what sense? I thought he played ok enough to win, but the defense didn't do him any favors in that 1992 NFC Championship Game. Truth be told, it could be said Joe Montana played "poorly" in the 1981 NFC Championship with those three INTs he threw.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Poorly in what sense? I thought he played ok enough to win, but the defense didn't do him any favors in that 1992 NFC Championship Game. Truth be told, it could be said Joe Montana played "poorly" in the 1981 NFC Championship with those three INTs he threw.

You're right that the defense didn't do him any favors in some of those games, but Young was playing on extremely talented teams and didn't play very well in NFC championship games.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Y/YounSt00/gamelog/post/

1992 vs. Cowboys: 1 TD, 2 Int
1993 vs. Cowboys: 1 TD, 1 Int
1995 vs. Packers: 0 TD, 2 Int
1996 vs. Packers: Basically didn't play cause of fractured ribs. Not his fault
1997 vs. Packers: 0 TD, 1 Int

We never scored more than 21 points in any of those games. For how ridiculously good he was in the regular season, he had a lot of stinkers in the playoffs when it counted.

Edit: Those aren't the lines from only NFC champ games. Those are all the games vs. the Packers and Cowboys other than the Super Bowl year and 1998 Wildcard.
[ Edited by Disp on Jul 8, 2013 at 4:49 PM ]
Steve was not over rated but one more title and this question would never be thought.
sounds about right
Originally posted by valrod33:
Steve Young is the best 49ers QB EVER. yeah I said it
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Don't agree at the end when he says Steve Young would of been that generations Danny White if Jimmy Johnson stays with Dallas... There is no way that 1994 team loses to Dallas even if they hired Bill Walsh as their coach... That 1994 team had one of the best offenses ever.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Don't agree at the end when he says Steve Young would of been that generations Danny White if Jimmy Johnson stays with Dallas... There is no way that 1994 team loses to Dallas even if they hired Bill Walsh as their coach... That 1994 team had one of the best offenses ever.

This. It was an astonishing offense with play calling from Mike Shanahan. There are a lot of weird statistics that no one keeps which that offense would have been by far and away the absolute leader in modern day football. For example, highest percentage of successful 5 -15 yard downfield plays; most TD drives of > 50 yards lasting between 2:30 and 5:00; highest cumulative point differential vs opponent halfway through the 3rd quarter. Really crazy, weird stats like that. They just couldn't be stopped -- they were'nt really a long ball offense; most of the "league leading" stats they accumulated in the first 55% of the game -- because a lot of games were essentially over with 25 minutes left to play.

That's how I remember it, anyway.

Then it all slipped away.

Joe was better. Steve was pretty good though.