LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

Offensive Line--The Baalke-Harbaugh Years

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
In the last two years, the 49er offensive line has improved quite dramatically.

Here are some numbers from PFF.

2012--Overall Ratings/ (NFL Rank)

Staley 40.4 (1)
Davis 22.4 (10)
Iupati 20.7 (5)
Boone 22.9 (3)
Goodwin 11.9 (10)

2011--Overall Ratings/ (NFL Rank)

Staley 7.1 (30)
Davis -5.3 (55)
Iupati 14.1 (11)
Snyder -19.7 (75)
Goodwin -2.2 (30)

Improvement 2011 to 2012 in points

Staley 33.3
Davis 27.7
Iupati 6.6
Boone/Snyder 42.6
Goodwin 14.1

2012 Team Run Block/ (NFL Rank) 150.4 (1ST)

2012 Team Pass Block/ (NFL Rank) 32.9 (7th)

2011 Team Run Block/ (NFL Rank) 49.7 (3rd)

2011 Team Pass Block/ (NFL Rank) -34.7 (29th)

Team Improvement

Run Block NFL Rank—6 spots
Pass Block NFL Rank—22 spots

Run Block Rating—100.7 points
Pass Block Rating –67.6 points

Later, I will give the ratings and national ranks for each player in run blocking, pass blocking, screen blocking, and pass blocking efficiency.
[ Edited by buck on Jul 7, 2013 at 8:38 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:

Staley 40.4 (1)
Davis 22.4 (10)
Iupati 20.7 (5)
Boone 22.9 (3)
Goodwin 11.9 (10)

Staley 7.1 (30)
Davis -5.3 (55)
Iupati 14.1 (11)
Snyder -19.7 (75)
Goodwin -2.2 (30)

Staley 33.3
Davis 27.7
Iupati 6.6
Boone/Snyder 42.6
Goodwin 14.1

Team Improvement

Later, I will give the ratings and national ranks for each player in run blocking, pass blocking, screen blocking, and pass blocking efficiency.

Fixed.
Wow thats a nice jump. I agree with most of the commentators who were talking about we have the best oline in football, I was highly impressed this year most of all with Boone to go from an undrafted rookie with a serious drinking problem, to the level he is playing now its not only been a feel good story but impressive as well.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
Fixed.

OK. What did you fix?
Originally posted by WINiner:

Staley 40.4 (1)
Davis 22.4 (10)
Iupati 20.7 (5)
Boone 22.9 (3)
Goodwin 11.9 (10)

Staley 7.1 (30)
Davis -5.3 (55)
Iupati 14.1 (11)
Snyder -19.7 (75)
Goodwin -2.2 (30)

Staley 33.3
Davis 27.7
Iupati 6.6
Boone/Snyder 42.6
Goodwin 14.1

Team Improvement

Fixed.

Fixed x2
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Fixed x2

I am slow.

Thanks. 2x
We rule... nuff said.

Snyder is finally a backup like he should be and we arent hoping and praying Jonas jennings is healthy enough to play. Good lord those horrid days seem so long ago after the past two seasons.
Any chance you can throw in the numbers for davis and miller too? I realize they aren't part of the line but they should be ranked pretty high as well.
IFL
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:
Any chance you can throw in the numbers for davis and miller too? I realize they aren't part of the line but they should be ranked pretty high as well.

Bruce Miller is 7th for fullbacks in blocking with a rating of 7.1.

In pass blocking, Vernon Davis is ranked 52nd with a rating of -1.0.
In run blocking, he is ranked 15th with a rating of 2.5.

I'm sure the pass rankings were aided by the QB switch as well. Alex did some things well but avoiding sacks was not one of them. It helped the turnover numbers but it also made things a lot tougher on the pass blocking OL.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
I'm sure the pass rankings were aided by the QB switch as well. Alex did some things well but avoiding sacks was not one of them. It helped the turnover numbers but it also made things a lot tougher on the pass blocking OL.

I did quick review of each players game by game pass blocking and there does not seem tobe any major difference.

Iupati had some of his worse games when Kaepernick was playing. But, my review was done rapidly, so the quarterback change could have made a difference.

I will try to go back and check the ratings and pass blocking snaps more throughly.
No question that the QB change helped. Alex, IMHO, was decent at avoiding some sacks. He also took some by playing the cautious, field position game that our coaches wanted. His athleticism is pretty good, but Kaepernick's in this aspect far exceeds that of most QBs. (maybe all)

As someone who studies the OL closely each year, I'd say our OL is being a bit... overhyped. Still, no need to get upset by me saying this. They are still improved enough to be regarded as better than most. I think our clever schemes aid the run block ratings... and the OL improvement plus new QB athleticism aids the pass pro rankings.
[ Edited by Mr.Mcgibblets on Jul 8, 2013 at 9:48 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
No question that the QB change helped. Alex, IMHO, was decent at avoiding some sacks. He also took some by playing the cautious, field position game that our coaches wanted. His athleticism is pretty good, but Kaepernick's in this aspect far exceeds that of most QBs. (maybe all)

As someone who studies the OL closely each year, I'd say our OL is being a bit... overhyped. Still, no need to get upset by me saying this. They are still improved enough to be regarded as better than most. I think our clever schemes aid the run block ratings... and the OL improvement plus new QB athleticism aids the pass pro rankings.

I happen to agree with your view on the offensive line. I do think it is one of the better lines in the NFL, but not yet the best.

I think the pass blocking needs to be better.

The improvement from 2011 to 2012 can be attributed in some degree to Boone replacing Snyder, Davis gaining a year more of experience, an improvement in the play of Goodwin, and maybe the quality of the opposition faced.

If I understand the PFF rating system correctly, they would not lower a lineman's rating if the quarterback was seen as responsible for a sack, held the ball too long.

Later today, I would like to post more details on the offensive lines, but I am not sure if will have the time to compile the information.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

I happen to agree with your view on the offensive line. I do think it is one of the better lines in the NFL, but not yet the best.

I think the pass blocking needs to be better.

The improvement from 2011 to 2012 can be attributed in some degree to Boone replacing Snyder, Davis gaining a year more of experience, an improvement in the play of Goodwin, and maybe the quality of the opposition faced.

If I understand the PFF rating system correctly, they would not lower a lineman's rating if the quarterback was seen as responsible for a sack, held the ball too long.

Later today, I would like to post more details on the offensive lines, but I am not sure if will have the time to compile the information.

Agree on the bolded, and I like that you are one of the few who are giving us quality threads to discuss during these painfully slow months.
Share 49ersWebzone