There are 188 users in the forums

Kendall Hunter and his role in the trio of running backs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I wonder how many rbs were going to keep on the squad this year...
Love his patience, he sees the field well, waits for his blockers, and has great moves in tight quarters. He struggles a bit more with picking angles and breaking free once he gets down field. All in all a great piece though. He's not as a fast as James and doesn't have the power of Gore, but he's a nice blend of the two.

I'm certainly rooting for him, but we're lucky enough to be in a position where I think we'll be okay even if he doesn't come all the way back. I hope he does, though. If he does, after Gore, I could see him splitting duties with Lattimore with James as the third down back (assuming Lattimore comes back and can produce on the NFL level, and James' pass blocking improves, as it should).

Edit: And as for this year, I think we're keeping five backs:

Locks:

Gore
Miller
James
Hunter

Pick one:

Dixon (guessing he'll be the one because the position is stacked and he provides value on STs)
Hampton

IR:

Lattimore
[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on Jul 4, 2013 at 9:36 AM ]
Hunter is a special player...hope he can get back to where he was quickly. He is unbelievably quick and decisive and gets from 0 to 60 in one step (it looks like guys are right on him and he just runs right by them). Has he ever dropped a ball? He's above average in blitz pick up as well. I think together, if he gets back to form, running he and Gore out of the Q formation, defenses will have no idea 1) who will get the handoff and 2) where the runner will go (inside or outside the tackles). That extra step starting in shot gun gives them more vision, get to full speed and time for the OL to wall-off defenders. Add James to this mix as well and this could be a VERY good 3-headed monster.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Hunter is a special player...hope he can get back to where he was quickly. He is unbelievably quick and decisive and gets from 0 to 60 in one step (it looks like guys are right on him and he just runs right by them). Has he ever dropped a ball? He's above average in blitz pick up as well. I think together, if he gets back to form, running he and Gore out of the Q formation, defenses will have no idea 1) who will get the handoff and 2) where the runner will go (inside or outside the tackles). That extra step starting in shot gun gives them more vision, get to full speed and time for the OL to wall-off defenders. Add James to this mix as well and this could be a VERY good 3-headed monster.

for sure. perfect running backs for the west coast offense
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by Byisgod:
Kendall is probably the most important piece of our running back trio, IMO.

what makes you say that?

I think this is the year that Gore finally starts to slow down. Call it a hunch. Also, I don't think LMJ is currently ready (or if he'll ever be ready) to handle the bulk of the carries.
I think this is the year that Gore finally starts to slow down. Call it a hunch. Also, I don't think LMJ is currently ready (or if he'll ever be ready) to handle the bulk of the carries.

I don't know. Remember that Gore got a later start early on because he was rehabbing knees. Also, the last couple of seasons, he hasn't had to carry the full load. He was still very fresh at the very end. In fact, Gore led all running backs in yardage for the post season last year with a 5.1 yard per carry average and 106 yards per game. He also led in post season rushing TD's with 4. The only back with more post season carries was Ray Rice but he only had a 3.6 average ypc.

So, Gore was still fresh after a 16-game season last year. I think he gets more support from Hunter and James this year so my hunch is that he's got more productive years left than some fans think.
Originally posted by GNielsen:

I don't know. Remember that Gore got a later start early on because he was rehabbing knees. Also, the last couple of seasons, he hasn't had to carry the full load. He was still very fresh at the very end. In fact, Gore led all running backs in yardage for the post season last year with a 5.1 yard per carry average and 106 yards per game. He also led in post season rushing TD's with 4. The only back with more post season carries was Ray Rice but he only had a 3.6 average ypc.

So, Gore was still fresh after a 16-game season last year. I think he gets more support from Hunter and James this year so my hunch is that he's got more productive years left than some fans think.

Exactly. Starting last season It was really Gore and Hunter at the helm. Didn't know exactly what we had from James or they didn't call upon him until Hunter went down. Now, we know what we got and can have. If anything Gore will be MORE fresh this year than last year by the end. (hopefully!!!)
[ Edited by defenderDX on Jul 4, 2013 at 4:00 PM ]
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Exactly. Starting last season It was really Gore and Hunter at the helm. Didn't know exactly what we had from James or they didn't call upon them until Hunter went down. Now, we know what we got and can have. If anything Gore will be MORE fresh this year than last year by the end. (hopefully!!!)
Sure hope you're right!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

people have been saying that about gore for the last two years! and he just keeps rolling and G is right on as usual. Trying to get him to take plays off is the big challenge!
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Love his patience, he sees the field well, waits for his blockers, and has great moves in tight quarters. He struggles a bit more with picking angles and breaking free once he gets down field. All in all a great piece though. He's not as a fast as James and doesn't have the power of Gore, but he's a nice blend of the two.

I'm certainly rooting for him, but we're lucky enough to be in a position where I think we'll be okay even if he doesn't come all the way back. I hope he does, though. If he does, after Gore, I could see him splitting duties with Lattimore with James as the third down back (assuming Lattimore comes back and can produce on the NFL level, and James' pass blocking improves, as it should).

Edit: And as for this year, I think we're keeping five backs:

Locks:

Gore
Miller
James
Hunter

Pick one:

Dixon (guessing he'll be the one because the position is stacked and he provides value on STs)
Hampton

IR:

Lattimore

That RB from Boise St. has an outside shot, but he may end up on the PS. Can never have enough speed at the RB position, especially now that we have one of the most accurate deep passers in the league under center.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
one year ago i never thought i would say this,, but I am a big dixon fan. he proved he was a good short yardage back last year and after a slow start he was actually one of the few guys who did well on our special ed teams. He makes it and scores alot of touchdowns . he should have been given the opportunity in the super bowl but,,,,, ahh forget it
75 Fittest Bodies in Sports (According to totalprosports.com)

http://www.totalprosports.com/2013/03/01/fittest-bodies-in-sports/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_67272#66

Guess who came in at #11 (Ahead of Adrian Peterson).
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
75 Fittest Bodies in Sports (According to totalprosports.com)

http://www.totalprosports.com/2013/03/01/fittest-bodies-in-sports/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_67272#66

Guess who came in at #11 (Ahead of Adrian Peterson).

that's because AP used steroids.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by cciowa:
one year ago i never thought i would say this,, but I am a big dixon fan. he proved he was a good short yardage back last year and after a slow start he was actually one of the few guys who did well on our special ed teams. He makes it and scores alot of touchdowns . he should have been given the opportunity in the super bowl but,,,,, ahh forget it

we all know u love Big Dix
Charlie Garner.
Share 49ersWebzone