LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

Who's better? Willis or Aldon

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who's better? Willis or Aldon

You have to look at the body of work. I love Aldon being higher than Von Miller, but Willis should be above them both. These rankings are dumb.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Don't be silly. ..........The topic is a little weird.

I agree.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ninerjok:
You have to look at the body of work. I love Aldon being higher than Von Miller, but Willis should be above them both. These rankings are dumb.

Bowman had more tackles and more sacks than Willis. So shouldn't he be higher than Willis?
Originally posted by Amir:
Originally posted by ninerjok:

Bowman had more tackles and more sacks than Willis. So shouldn't he be higher than Willis?

Willis was in coverage far more and was rarely sent on the blitz, but was effective when called. He also had more forced fumbles and is a better tackler than Bowman.
Bad argument. But, between Willis and Bowman, I'd rather lose Willis.
Originally posted by verb1der:
I'm not sold on Aldon until he can record a sack with out Justin Smith next to him.

Somebody please this man.
"Who's better? Willis or Aldon"

My Lord, . . . . . . the season cannot get here fast enough. What silly things idle minds come up with.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Jun 28, 2013 at 3:24 PM ]
They are two totally different players! And I love them both. That being said, I can't believe Aldon placed ahead of Pat, this early in his career. GO NINERS!!!!!!!!
Willis will play until he's 50 and make 50 pro bowls
It's a bit off to have him ahead of Willis, but it represents the level to which Aldon affects opponent's minds. When players think of other players that give them nightmares, it's more often someone like Aldon breaking up their play in the backfield vs Willis cleaning up after someone slips through the cracks. Willis' role is more responsive and focused on sound technique and decision making compared to Aldon's aggressively disruptive role. Aldon will make someone look the fool more often because of his role, and that goes a long way in players' minds.
[ Edited by mug0mug on Jun 28, 2013 at 3:22 AM ]

willis does a lot more than aldon as far as responsibilities and hes good at everything. they play two different positions. we have the two best MLBs in the league and we have the best young OLB in the league. im fine with that without saying who is better.
Aldon is great at passrusher, but he's well crap at coverage and stoping the run. Willis and Bowman are like watching the same guy both can cover, stop the run and chase the qb. I also think brooks is more of a complete player than aldon great in pass and run plays, but hopefully aldon now in his 3rd season will do better at those areas and improve his weakness. Personally I think we have the best Lb core to ever see a nfl football field and it's amazing to watch this defense.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Aldon is great at passrusher, but he's well crap at coverage and stoping the run. Willis and Bowman are like watching the same guy both can cover, stop the run and chase the qb. I also think brooks is more of a complete player than aldon great in pass and run plays, but hopefully aldon now in his 3rd season will do better at those areas and improve his weakness. Personally I think we have the best Lb core to ever see a nfl football field and it's amazing to watch this defense.

Fangio almost said as much but we have to continue our excellent play. This means a lot considering that he coached Swilling, Johnson, Jackson and Mills while in NOLA
Originally posted by Amir:

Justin Smith hates you.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:

Your claim that Aldon is "Crap at coverage and stopping the run" is not supported by the numbers.

If we are going to compare players, we should compare Aldon Smith as 49er to Charles Haley as a 49er.

Charles Haley played six years for the 49ers. He played in 106 games and started 63.

In his career with the 49ers, Haley had 326 tackles, 66 sacks, 14 forced fumbles, 1 interception, and 0 passes defended.

Aldon Smith has played for the 49ers for two years. In those two years, he has played in 32 games and started 16.

Aldon Smith has had 102 tackles, 33.5 sacks, 1 interception, 5 passes defended, and 5 forced fumbles.

Smith has averaged 51 tackles, 16.75 sacks, 2.5 forced fumbles, 0.5 interceptions, and 2.5 passes defended year.

Over his career with the 49ers, Haley averaged 54.33 tackles, 11.8 sacks, 2.33 forced fumbles, 0.167 interceptions, and 0 passes defended.

Aldon Smith is a better pass rusher than Haley was.

Aldon Smith is fundamentally as good as Haley was against the run.

Aldon Smith is better against the pass than Haley was.

And if I remember correctly, nobody has ever complained about Haley's run defense or coverage skills.
[ Edited by buck on Jun 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone