There are 160 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who's better? Willis or Aldon

Who's better? Willis or Aldon

my bad. Von is a sam linebacker in 4-3
so glad Aldon got voted higher than Von. I thought Von kind of stole Aldon's rookie of the year award because he was drafted a little higher and more well known to all those draft expert jaggoffs.

also when Aldon had 19.5 sacks, NFL.com ran an article on who will break strahan's record- Watt, or VON MILLER (who had 17 sacks). no mention of Aldon until you read further down the article. NO LOVE!!!
I'm surprised at how many outside the niner fanbase consider Aldon overrated. Will the whole "Aldon is nothing without Justin" misinformation finally end when Cowboy eventually retires or could it still continue later, but with Tank?

I thought Aldon's torn labrum was well known around the league at this point, but I guess only to niner fans.
Originally posted by leon49:
I'm surprised at how many outside the niner fanbase consider Aldon overrated. Will the whole "Aldon is nothing without Justin" misinformation finally end when Cowboy eventually retires or could it still continue later, but with Tank?

I thought Aldon's torn labrum was well known around the league at this point, but I guess only to niner fans.

They also try to credit that most of his sacks came late in games when opponants were deperate in passing situations. Irony in it all is almost half of his sacks came from behind raymac not Smith. I think in the reaction video Sapp explained it really well where Watt is a great pass rusher due to strength Miller is a great pass rusher due to speed and Smith is the perfect combo of both.
Originally posted by ninersforlife:
so glad Aldon got voted higher than Von. I thought Von kind of stole Aldon's rookie of the year award because he was drafted a little higher and more well known to all those draft expert jaggoffs.

also when Aldon had 19.5 sacks, NFL.com ran an article on who will break strahan's record- Watt, or VON MILLER (who had 17 sacks). no mention of Aldon until you read further down the article. NO LOVE!!!

I dont think Von is going to have another season this year like the last two because alot of his big plays came off of double teams on dummervil. And that opinion is actually shared by many broncos fans also.
Originally posted by 49erWay:
So let me get this straight.

Patrick Willis is arguably one of the top 3 Inside Linebackers to ever play the game, if not the best, and there are actually people who drive weapons called automobiles who think he is not more valuable than Smith?

Look I love Smith but I don't take so many drugs I have no clue of reality.

I can't believe this conversation is actually even happening.

Its times like this I realize how blessed I am to have an understanding of athletics.

Jesus.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Willis is the best at his position in the entire league for about 5 seasons running now.

Tbph I am a huge Willis fan, may even be my favorite player but I would say bowman has been the best mlb in football the past 2 years with Willis a close second

Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:
BTW peppers plays a different position than Aldon. Even is peppers was a better player than Urlacher which I don't think he was, I think they were about the same, he still wasn't as great as Ray Lewis. Just like aldon isn't as great as pat. yet.

If pat retired today he might be considered the GOAT or close to it. Aldon isn't even the best OLB in the league. That crown belongs to Ware IMO.

A 4-3 DE and a 3-4 OLB are the 2 closest positions in the league. Pass rushing OLBs are essentially DEs on most plays.

And Willis hasn't played nearly long enough to be in the conversation of GOAT. Is Ware a better OLB than Aldon? Perhaps. But Aldon out-played Ware last year, and he has the most sack of any 2nd-year player in the history of the league. Other than JJ Watt, there was not a more dominant defensive player than Aldon last year.

As far as Peppers not being more valuable than Urlacher back in the day, I would bet 32 NFL GMs would strongly disagree with you. ILB is one of the easiest positions on the roster to fill. A defensive player as dominant as Peppers only comes along every 3-5 years.


Ware can do more things well than aldon. True Aldon had a phenomenal season getting after the qb but im my mind it isn't enough to justify him being better than ware. 1st the 49ers forced a lot of teams to become more 1 dimensional. 2nd Aldon rarely ever dropped back in coverage which ware does a lot more. 3rd teams gameplan to stop ware better than they can with aldon because ware is the best player on that team with less talent surrounding him. Teams who play us have to account for J smith Willis and Bowman at all times as well as others. Ware also sees more doubleteams than Aldon and still gets off.

Aldon getting as many sacks as he did in his 2nd year was mind-blowing considering he could've/should've broken the record but keep in mind that was his 2nd year. He also had to change positions so he was raw. Next season he will probably be the best in the league, the last 2 I would take ware.

As far as Urlacher and Peppers go, both were great in their respective positions. I just think your memory is shorter on urlacher because his injuries have slowed him down tremendously. He was a sideline to sideline linebacker in his prime who could do it all. Force turnovers, get after the qb, and was the 2nd best tackler in the league next to ray. Peppers has been better for longer but if we're talking about their best days than it is harder for me to choose than you.

Will smith was more than serviceable for a long time along with other d ends like long, allen, Charles Johnson, freeney, his partner mathis, Abraham, osi, tuck, JPP, babin, cole, and peppers. All play or used to play defensive end and all can get after the qb. I don't think I need to mention how many serviceable to great OLB's there are too.
[ Edited by JimDrinkAMiller on Jun 30, 2013 at 7:20 AM ]
Originally posted by GNielsen:
My opinion is that the Niners have the two best ILB's in the league AND the best pass rushing OLB AND arguably one of the top three defensive linemen on the same defense.


My only point is that Pat Willis has played just as well if not better and is just as athletic as anyone else on our defense and he has done it for longer than anyone besides Justin. He is also the glue that holds it altogether. His importance level to the team IMO is just as high as anyone else on the defense if not higher.
Originally posted by 49erWay:
So let me get this straight.

Patrick Willis is arguably one of the top 3 Inside Linebackers to ever play the game, if not the best, and there are actually people who drive weapons called automobiles who think he is not more valuable than Smith?

Look I love Smith but I don't take so many drugs I have no clue of reality.

I can't believe this conversation is actually even happening.

Its times like this I realize how blessed I am to have an understanding of athletics.

Jesus.


Yeah. The heart and soul of the 49ers takes a back seat to the smiths and bowman.
I believe that aldon is still an uncertainty due to the fact that how well he can preform when Justin S. is not lining up next to him. I feel that Justin S. makes both Willis and Aldon better because of the player he is. With that said I still go with Willis as the better player.
[ Edited by hotdogandbeerfred on Jun 30, 2013 at 8:39 AM ]
  • Antix
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5,014
Right now it's Willis and it's not even close imo. Willis has been the best player on our D since he's gotten here and nobody knows if Aldon can still get sacks unless Justin is next to him. A pass rusher is generally more valuable than a MLB, but in this case Willis is more valuable.
who cares?
Willis is the leader of our defense. Aldon is still too immature for that responsibility. If you take that out of the equation, then you can make the case for Aldon Smith, Justin Smith, Bowman and Willis. But like Ray Lewis was the most valuable player on the Ravens defense, so too is Patrick Willis for us.
Originally posted by oregonniner:
Willis is the leader of our defense. Aldon is still too immature for that responsibility. If you take that out of the equation, then you can make the case for Aldon Smith, Justin Smith, Bowman and Willis. But like Ray Lewis was the most valuable player on the Ravens defense, so too is Patrick Willis for us.

I agree with this. Aldon Smith, as the sack leader, gets a lot of glory and he deserves it. Nobody has ever had as many sacks in his first two years. But, Willis is the prime engine that makes this defense go both in spirit and in play. He and Bowman shut down the run and the short passing game which gives Aldon Smith the opportunity to sack that QB. And, it's got a lot to do with scheme. Willis would have lots of sacks if Fangio was shooting him through the gaps more often. Almost every time they have him do that, which isn't very often, he blows up whatever is happening.