There are 219 users in the forums

49ers vs NFC West

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Agree, especially with the bolded. As much as I appreciate how far Harbaugh has brought this team, you can also argue that his and Roman's ultra conservatism has also held the team back from winning the big one, our offense evolving and gaining a consistent rhythm (another reason why Caroll/Bevell >>>>> Harbaugh/Roman). Next season, I'll be observing them both closely because they need to step their game up and improve as well.

I feel like Smith and an inexperienced Kap played a heavy influence in their ultra-conservatism over the last 3 years. I hope to see them come out of their shell with Kap entering his 3rd year as a starter. I know after the last 3 years I'm sick and tired of seeing them get into the redzone without even taking one shot into the endzone and then being perfectly fine with a FG.
FIRE GREG ROMAN. teams would die for our receivers rb and te.

As far as Players go
1. BOWMAN back to full strength and speed. Im surprised I haven't seen that. ( the real DPOY)
2. Redshirts like Lattimore, Carradine, and Dial to come back. plus Ian williams
3. Speed guy like BRANDIN COOKS this Draft ( our percy harvin/tavon austin type player)
4. Lockdown corner like Darqueze Dennard or big physical like Stanley Jean-Baptiste
5. New center

What would really help would be Kaepernick taking care of the ball. he seems to do it with everyone else but seattle for some reason. look for check down options more often.
Get f**king HFA, plain & simple.
  • ace52
  • Veteran
A speedy WR who can make a defense respect the deep bombs, and can also provide the big-play capability in the return game (like Harvin does for Seattle) will be a big plus.
Hopefully, Baalke can find an upgrade for Rogers.
Kap needs to improve as a passer. However, I don't think that he should strive to become a pure pocket passer and refuse to use his natural running abilities. Manning is arguably the ultimate pocket passer, and how far did that get him against the Seahawks? The QB who has the best chance to beat the Seahawks is a dual-threat QB. Kap is almost there. He just needs to elevate his passing game to the next level in terms of touch, accuracy, and decision-making.
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:
Agree, especially with the bolded. As much as I appreciate how far Harbaugh has brought this team, you can also argue that his and Roman's ultra conservatism has also held the team back from winning the big one, our offense evolving and gaining a consistent rhythm (another reason why Caroll/Bevell >>>>> Harbaugh/Roman). Next season, I'll be observing them both closely because they need to step their game up and improve as well.

I feel like Smith and an inexperienced Kap played a heavy influence in their ultra-conservatism over the last 3 years. I hope to see them come out of their shell with Kap entering his 3rd year as a starter. I know after the last 3 years I'm sick and tired of seeing them get into the redzone without even taking one shot into the endzone and then being perfectly fine with a FG.

Well, that is what I'm hoping for as well. Kap continues to improve and they feel more confident opening things up and advancing in the playbook. It's not only essential to our offense as a whole evolving but Kap's development as well. As I mentioned earlier, this offense is not good enough as it is, we have to take another step forward because if not, I fear the same results (no trophy).

Optimistic since we'll be adding Lattimore, drafting a new WR, and Kap progressing by next season so we'll see.
The Niners are the second best team in the game. Not bad. A couple of plays from winning two superbowls in a row. A few players could be upgraded. We really do not know if the play calling is Roman or JH. Could be Roman simply calls play that JH likes.

Still, the Shawks are a little better than the Niners now and their coaching is as well.
One way to win is bend the rules...take more PEDs than Seattle, make it an even playing field!

Kidding aside, I think the current 49ers roster is built to win. Just get home field advantage. Our MVP continues to be Harbaugh.
Niners: Great year, 5-1, vs. toughest division in football, our own.
Well, that is what I'm hoping for as well. Kap continues to improve and they feel more confident opening things up and advancing in the playbook. It's not only essential to our offense as a whole evolving but Kap's development as well. As I mentioned earlier, this offense is not good enough as it is, we have to take another step forward because if not, I fear the same results (no trophy).

Optimistic since we'll be adding Lattimore, drafting a new WR, and Kap progressing by next season so we'll see.

This isn't a popular thought... but I think it might be time to either slide Gore back or remove him completely. Gore is just too old... there is almost no explosion in his game and stacking the box to stop Gore because they know he can't take it outside does a lot of harm to the passing game. RB has never been an old man's job in the NFL. I feel pretty good about Hunter with what he has shown over the last 3 years. I think switching to the younger RBs will be like switching from Smith to Kap. It will change the offense in a good way.

It's nothing personal because I love Gore and I so badly wanted them to win a Super Bowl with him as the starter... but it just didn't happen. If the 49ers could move on from Montana, Lott, Craig, and Rice... they should be able to do it with Gore.
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:

This isn't a popular thought... but I think it might be time to either slide Gore back or remove him completely. Gore is just too old... there is almost no explosion in his game and stacking the box to stop Gore because they know he can't take it outside does a lot of harm to the passing game. RB has never been an old man's job in the NFL. I feel pretty good about Hunter with what he has shown over the last 3 years. I think switching to the younger RBs will be like switching from Smith to Kap. It will change the offense in a good way.

It's nothing personal because I love Gore and I so badly wanted them to win a Super Bowl with him as the starter... but it just didn't happen. If the 49ers could move on from Montana, Lott, Craig, and Rice... they should be able to do it with Gore.

Complete agreement. I felt the coaching staff ran him into the ground this season and from what we saw in the NFCCG, he was clearly worn down and ineffective (although poor oline play did contribute to that also).

I think the more likely scenario is that Gore restructures and we'll see Latt and Hunter splitting some of his workload. At least that's what I hope.

Baalke and Harbaugh have their work cut out for them this offseason. Winning the division and keeping homefield advantage away from Seattle next season is a must.

Normally I wouldn't say this. But right now I think we're the only team that stands in the way of Seattle repeating.
Niners are the most consistent team in the NFL over the last 3 years... The problem is there has been 1 team "Slightly" better each year. 2011 NYG 2012 BAL now 2013 SEA... How do we get over the hump? More physical corners, I think Drafting FS Reid was clutch and you have to resign Whitner because they don't come much better and he's earned his keep at SS. Only corners who I would keep are Brock, Culliver and maybe Cox, but they should be competing for the nickel position at this point, NOT as starters or we are in trouble. Our front 7 you have to keep for the next 2-3 years , that's our foundation. Offense, I would say our Oline is among the elite, but we can play more physical. Lattimore should help next season and I think Hunter is ready to replace Gore when the time comes. Kaepernick is star, but year 4 needs to become more of a complete quarterback, be able to win games with his arm and not stay disguised by our scheme. Keep Crabtree and Boldin and add some speedy reliable wide puts, Patton played well and hope to see him stay healthy next season. We are close !!!!!! But the other teams are getting better as well!!!!
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
Niners are the most consistent team in the NFL over the last 3 years... The problem is there has been 1 team "Slightly" better each year. 2011 NYG 2012 BAL now 2013 SEA... How do we get over the hump? More physical corners, I think Drafting FS Reid was clutch and you have to resign Whitner because they don't come much better and he's earned his keep at SS. Only corners who I would keep are Brock, Culliver and maybe Cox, but they should be competing for the nickel position at this point, NOT as starters or we are in trouble. Our front 7 you have to keep for the next 2-3 years , that's our foundation. Offense, I would say our Oline is among the elite, but we can play more physical. Lattimore should help next season and I think Hunter is ready to replace Gore when the time comes. Kaepernick is star, but year 4 needs to become more of a complete quarterback, be able to win games with his arm and not stay disguised by our scheme. Keep Crabtree and Boldin and add some speedy reliable wide puts, Patton played well and hope to see him stay healthy next season. We are close !!!!!! But the other teams are getting better as well!!!!

I disagree about Whitner. Far too often he finds himself out of position and giving up big plays in the passing game. On top of that he is a marked man by the NFL and the officials for his hits. Look at how many times he was flagged for perfectly legal hits this year. It is only going to get worse in the future. When you complain loudly the NFL responds by flagging you even more.... ask James Harrison.
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:

Maybe its sour grapes to say this, but I really do believe that the 49ers have been the BEST team in the NFL over the last 3 years.

It makes me so mad the way NFL officials have decided our big games. Obviously we have to do a much better job at putting the game far enough out of reach to where bad calls dont make the difference, but I always argue that in big games against the very best teams, its unrealistic to expect anything BUT a close game. Then when the calls influence the final score, its maddening.

In 2011 against the Giants, they were flat out gifted that NFC Title. Kyle Williams and the refs handed it over on a silver platters. The 2 Williams PR fumbles, and the Bradshaw fumble that the refs blew dead quicker than any forward progress in NFL history. Any one of those 3 things goes our way, were in the SB playing a Patriots team that we were flat out better than.

In 2012 against the Ravens....theres about 10 calls that the refs made (or didnt make) because a little voice in their earpiece said "Lets get Ray out on top." The Bruce Miller KR mugging, the Crabtree PI, the Cary Williams ref SHOVE, etc. Im slowly erasing every call from my memory to keep some sanity.

In 2013 against SEA, the roughing the punter missed call. Plus the frustrating part of outplaying Seattle to the point where we have them on their heels, down to the 18 with 2 timeouts and a fresh set of downs, and we just didnt choose to talk it over first and make a plan.

All 3 years our season was ended by the Super Bowl champ, but it doesnt make things sting any less. I think we are the most complete team in the NFL, and on a neutral field we beat SEA 6 times out of 10. But thats not how things work out.

The part of this season that irks me the most is that Brooks hit on Brees. That one call essentially cost us a Super Bowl title. The Saints game wasnt "over" if we get that Brees fumble, but its very likely we hold on. Then we get home field over SEA, we play the Title game IN SF, that small margin of advantage swings our way, we win that game, we beat the Broncos.

Call these things excuses, but since the 2011 NFC Champ game, it certainly feels like weve gotten almost no lucky breaks or anything but bad calls from the refs. I just hope it doesnt create an atmosphere where the team gets the discouragement bug.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Maybe its sour grapes to say this, but I really do believe that the 49ers have been the BEST team in the NFL over the last 3 years.

It makes me so mad the way NFL officials have decided our big games. Obviously we have to do a much better job at putting the game far enough out of reach to where bad calls dont make the difference, but I always argue that in big games against the very best teams, its unrealistic to expect anything BUT a close game. Then when the calls influence the final score, its maddening.

In 2011 against the Giants, they were flat out gifted that NFC Title. Kyle Williams and the refs handed it over on a silver platters. The 2 Williams PR fumbles, and the Bradshaw fumble that the refs blew dead quicker than any forward progress in NFL history. Any one of those 3 things goes our way, were in the SB playing a Patriots team that we were flat out better than.

In 2012 against the Ravens....theres about 10 calls that the refs made (or didnt make) because a little voice in their earpiece said "Lets get Ray out on top." The Bruce Miller KR mugging, the Crabtree PI, the Cary Williams ref SHOVE, etc. Im slowly erasing every call from my memory to keep some sanity.

In 2013 against SEA, the roughing the punter missed call. Plus the frustrating part of outplaying Seattle to the point where we have them on their heels, down to the 18 with 2 timeouts and a fresh set of downs, and we just didnt choose to talk it over first and make a plan.

All 3 years our season was ended by the Super Bowl champ, but it doesnt make things sting any less. I think we are the most complete team in the NFL, and on a neutral field we beat SEA 6 times out of 10. But thats not how things work out.

The part of this season that irks me the most is that Brooks hit on Brees. That one call essentially cost us a Super Bowl title. The Saints game wasnt "over" if we get that Brees fumble, but its very likely we hold on. Then we get home field over SEA, we play the Title game IN SF, that small margin of advantage swings our way, we win that game, we beat the Broncos.

Call these things excuses, but since the 2011 NFC Champ game, it certainly feels like weve gotten almost no lucky breaks or anything but bad calls from the refs. I just hope it doesnt create an atmosphere where the team gets the discouragement bug.

Reading this makes me sad and gets the blood boiling at the same time.
Share 49ersWebzone