There are 153 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers vs NFC West

dont get shy. unleash some bombs and get tricky to seal an early lead, and then just hang on
The key is Colin Kaepernick needs to stop turning the ball over. There is nothing complex about it... both of the losses in Seattle this year are directly tied into Kaepernick's multiple turnovers in the 4th quarter. The defense did a great job in both games until Kaepernick started turning it over in the 4th.

The offensive line needs to get a lot better at pass protection. Goodwin was good in 2011, bad in 2012, and worse this year... age caught up with him obviously. I don't know how many times Kap got pressured up the middle by an unblocked guy with Goodwin standing around looking for someone to block or needlessly helping Boone or Iupati. Anthony Davis needs to get better too... with his extension we're stuck with him and he is so up and down with his pass protection.. one week he'll be great and then the next he'll be terrible.

Weapons... Weapons... Weapons. The biggest lesson learned this year was that the 49ers need more WRs. If they can bring Boldin back that will be fantastic... I still like the idea of a healthy Crabtree, VD, and Boldin... hopefully in 2014 none of them suffer any major injuries. I like the little flashes Patton has shown but lets be honest he hasn't done anything and those flashes might be nothing.

Harbaugh and Roman need to grow a pair. In my opinion their conservatism has doomed the 49ers just as much as players making mistakes and turning the ball over at the end of the NFC Championship games and last years SB. We all see them play for FGs instead of TDs nearly every time the 49ers get in scoring range. I suppose I can accept that approach with Smith at QB or an inexperienced Kap, but they are now 0-3 for Super Bowls with a 49ers team that had a real chance to win each of the last 3 Super Bowls.

Although, none of this will matter if they don't do a good job of replacing the secondary. Replacing Rogers and Whitner shouldn't be too difficult considering how bad they've both become... but I will miss Brown if he leaves too. Its good to have Brock but who knows what Culliver will be like when he returns from his injury.
Originally posted by threelittlebirds:
The key is Colin Kaepernick needs to stop turning the ball over. There is nothing complex about it... both of the losses in Seattle this year are directly tied into Kaepernick's multiple turnovers in the 4th quarter. The defense did a great job in both games until Kaepernick started turning it over in the 4th.

The offensive line needs to get a lot better at pass protection. Goodwin was good in 2011, bad in 2012, and worse this year... age caught up with him obviously. I don't know how many times Kap got pressured up the middle by an unblocked guy with Goodwin standing around looking for someone to block or needlessly helping Boone or Iupati. Anthony Davis needs to get better too... with his extension we're stuck with him and he is so up and down with his pass protection.. one week he'll be great and then the next he'll be terrible.

Weapons... Weapons... Weapons. The biggest lesson learned this year was that the 49ers need more WRs. If they can bring Boldin back that will be fantastic... I still like the idea of a healthy Crabtree, VD, and Boldin... hopefully in 2014 none of them suffer any major injuries. I like the little flashes Patton has shown but lets be honest he hasn't done anything and those flashes might be nothing.

Harbaugh and Roman need to grow a pair. In my opinion their conservatism has doomed the 49ers just as much as players making mistakes and turning the ball over at the end of the NFC Championship games and last years SB. We all see them play for FGs instead of TDs nearly every time the 49ers get in scoring range. I suppose I can accept that approach with Smith at QB or an inexperienced Kap, but they are now 0-3 for Super Bowls with a 49ers team that had a real chance to win each of the last 3 Super Bowls.

Although, none of this will matter if they don't do a good job of replacing the secondary. Replacing Rogers and Whitner shouldn't be too difficult considering how bad they've both become... but I will miss Brown if he leaves too. Its good to have Brock but who knows what Culliver will be like when he returns from his injury.

A lot of good points there.
We had it vs. Seattle in the last game. It came down to turnovers by Kaep. He didn't protect the football late in the game. He fumbled, threw a stupid pick, and the more I look at it he made a poor decision late in the game throwin that ball to crabtree. Sherman was all over him. If Kaep grows as a QB and starts making more reads and we can find a way to be more consistent in the passing game then fine. We beat Seatle once this season. We were in it till the end of the NFCCG. Not worried about it. The big problem in all our losses to seatle was the failure to commit to and establish the run. That's how you beat that team.

I have alot of confidense in Patton for some reason, mainly because the catch against the cardinals in the 4th was not an easy task to catch or hold on to and the fact without that catch we would have been #6 in the playoffs.
Seattle fan here, you already have what it takes to beat us, a mirror image of our team. Speed, ferocious hitters(chancellor and whitner) great backs and young stud qb's. The only difference I can see is Wilson does not take enough chances and Keap. takes too many. Congrats on your real Superbowl appearance (NFC Championship). Your team would have obliterated the NFL darling Manning as well. I believe if the NFC West played 16 games in division there might not be any players left to play a superbowl. Both of our teams need to watch out for the Cards and Rams next year, the division winner might be 10-6 but who can play with us?
Overall, the 49ers are not THAT far behind Seattle, but they are behind them in most areas.

First, Kaepernick has to show some improvement in his passing fundamentals. We've been through all that in his thread.

2. Speed receiver that can beat press coverage.

3. Cover corner that can handle big receivers.

4. Begin to move toward lighter, more agile offensive linemen. Seattle has placed an emphasis on DL that are quick and agile and they have their way against bulldozer types like the current 49er OL. Staley can stay. Switch Davis and Boone (Boone is marginally quicker). Draft a guard to replace Iupati (I don't expect 49ers to be able to re-sign him) that has the requisite quickness. The move to a more agile OL will take three drafts, assuming Harbaugh/Baalke even see the need. I believe Harbaugh likes the mix he has now. We shall see.

5. Develop a more diverse offense with more reliance on possession passing. I won't go farther than to say that as I don't believe Harbaugh has any intention of going in that direction.

6. Coaching:
Better WR coach who can actually develop players. Seattle has turned Baldwin, a guy Harbaugh had no interest in signing, into a major contributor. Baldwin has scored the winner twice against the 49ers. Jerome Kearse started the season as the #4 WR and turned in a very solid year with some big plays.

OC - I don't think it will happen.

A real QB coach to put CK's physical talents to use.

TE coach. No reason McDonald should have contributed so little this season. If he was worth trading up to get, he should have delivered more.

Give Harbaugh some Valium. His sideline behavior in critical situations is deplorable. There is a reason he finished no higher than 8th in the "what coach would you most like to play for" poll. If he was as great as some people around here think, more players would want to play for him. He has a lot of room for improvement himself.
Originally posted by dj43:
Overall, the 49ers are not THAT far behind Seattle, but they are behind them in most areas.

First, Kaepernick has to show some improvement in his passing fundamentals. We've been through all that in his thread.

2. Speed receiver that can beat press coverage.

3. Cover corner that can handle big receivers.

4. Begin to move toward lighter, more agile offensive linemen. Seattle has placed an emphasis on DL that are quick and agile and they have their way against bulldozer types like the current 49er OL. Staley can stay. Switch Davis and Boone (Boone is marginally quicker). Draft a guard to replace Iupati (I don't expect 49ers to be able to re-sign him) that has the requisite quickness. The move to a more agile OL will take three drafts, assuming Harbaugh/Baalke even see the need. I believe Harbaugh likes the mix he has now. We shall see.

5. Develop a more diverse offense with more reliance on possession passing. I won't go farther than to say that as I don't believe Harbaugh has any intention of going in that direction.

6. Coaching:
Better WR coach who can actually develop players. Seattle has turned Baldwin, a guy Harbaugh had no interest in signing, into a major contributor. Baldwin has scored the winner twice against the 49ers. Jerome Kearse started the season as the #4 WR and turned in a very solid year with some big plays.

OC - I don't think it will happen.

A real QB coach to put CK's physical talents to use.

TE coach. No reason McDonald should have contributed so little this season. If he was worth trading up to get, he should have delivered more.

Give Harbaugh some Valium. His sideline behavior in critical situations is deplorable. There is a reason he finished no higher than 8th in the "what coach would you most like to play for" poll. If he was as great as some people around here think, more players would want to play for him. He has a lot of room for improvement himself.

Did we not have these things at Candlestick this year? We BEAT the Seahawks this year. Am I the only one aware of this?
kaep on lifting !!!!!!!!!!

Harbaugh and Roman need to grow a pair. In my opinion their conservatism has doomed the 49ers just as much as players making mistakes and turning the ball over at the end of the NFC Championship games and last years SB. We all see them play for FGs instead of TDs nearly every time the 49ers get in scoring range. I suppose I can accept that approach with Smith at QB or an inexperienced Kap, but they are now 0-3 for Super Bowls with a 49ers team that had a real chance to win each of the last 3 Super Bow
ls.

Agree, especially with the bolded. As much as I appreciate how far Harbaugh has brought this team, you can also argue that his and Roman's ultra conservatism has also held the team back from winning the big one, our offense evolving and gaining a consistent rhythm (another reason why Caroll/Bevell >>>>> Harbaugh/Roman). Next season, I'll be observing them both closely because they need to step their game up and improve as well.
Originally posted by Toronto49er:
there's no reason to think the seahawks wont win next year as they're retaining their best core players. the 49ers are their main opposition IMO to repeating. To beat them next year the 49ers have to open the playbook and utilize Crabtree, Davis, Gore, LMJ, Patton, and ( hopefully Boldin). these targets should make for an explosive offense but they have to utilize them to their fullest potential; I don't think the 49ers did it this year. Waaay too many 3 and outs in the red zone with these targets. I believe in Kap so i don't think this is the reason but what does the webzone think?? is it Roman? Kap? the scheme run by Harbaugh ??

I personally think its a combination of the scheme and the inexperience of Kap but if Wilson can win the Super Bowl at this stage than how much can it be Kap's inexperience?? I think with Kap's work ethic he can accomplish anything

BTW I trusted Alex Smith throughout his tenure with the red and gold so Im not the type to blame solely the QB

I just want to know what the faithful thinks it will take on behalf of the 49ers to overcome Seattle. To me this reminds me of the 90's battles with the Cowboys. The old timers will remember what I'm talking about.

49ers till I die!!!!!

I think you are way off base assuming the Seahawks are slated to win the SB again next year. They won this year because of bad officiating (we should have been given the win in New Orleans, which would have made the 49ers the #1 seed, etc.). They are not the best team in the NFL.

Furthermore, statistically (for those who care about such things), it is very hard to repeat as a SB winner.

Hopefully, there will be some rule changes that allow for the overturning of bad calls so that the bribed officials have less of an ability to change the course of a game. If that happens, look for the 49ers to reclaim their rightful place at the top of the NFC West, meaning the dirty team that is the Seahawks (along with their dirty, classless, pig fans) will at best be a wild card team.

Yes, the 49ers need to improve their team, and I am certain they will. I expect Baalke to resign key players, too. Harbaugh is the best head coach in the NFL. Taking all these things into account, I think you way overestimate the Seahawks chances for 2014.
Play smarter, execute when it matters, handle pressure better, don't throw picks, improve the gameplan, be more aggressive, get faster, improve the secondary, Kaepernick needs to mature.
Another thing, coaches are wasting the end of Frank Gore's great career. Carroll and Wilson ran BEASTMODE into an 11 man box tonight. Result..... 11 yard gain. Why is S.F. so reluctant to let the best player on their roster be Beast South? Also....speedy recovery to Bowman and Sherman. One of the two should have won Def. MVP. I would not take Luke to replace any of our 4 LB's. AP writers are a joke
OL needs to get quicker and more agile.

Seattle put together a DL rotation specifically to beat the 49ers. Their DL emphasizes quickness and athleticism to get around the massive bulldozers on the 49ers. It will take 3 drafts to make any real change but with Goodwin likely retiring and Iupati likely being too expensive to re-sign, there are two opportunities right there. Unfortunately, Kilgore is not going to remind anyone of Guy McIntyre on pulls and sweeps, so that leaves a guard for 2015 as the first step toward a quicker line.
Originally posted by hawktruck58:
Another thing, coaches are wasting the end of Frank Gore's great career. Carroll and Wilson ran BEASTMODE into an 11 man box tonight. Result..... 11 yard gain. Why is S.F. so reluctant to let the best player on their roster be Beast South? Also....speedy recovery to Bowman and Sherman. One of the two should have won Def. MVP. I would not take Luke to replace any of our 4 LB's. AP writers are a joke

We run the ball just about as much as you do.

Don't want to wish for bad karma, but it was nice to see Sherman not having the ability to jump and dance around after the game for once. Harder to be a dick while wearing crutches.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Feb 2, 2014 at 9:23 PM ]