LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 341 users in the forums

49ers vs NFC West

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Originally posted by WeDidIt:
Don't turn the ball over is the answer. 3 turnovers in the 4th quarter isn't the answer.

Easier said than done.

I don't believe that.

The best offense in the NFL believes it.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Don't turn the ball over is the answer. 3 turnovers in the 4th quarter isn't the answer.

Easier said than done.

I don't believe that.

We would have beat the piss out of manning also.

We can also wait when they lose half their secondary next summer to free agency.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Easier said than done.

I don't believe that.

we did a good job taking care of the ball before we found ourselves down by 4pts in the 4th QTR. Then our inability to run the ball for most of the game, came back to bite us in the arse. Seahawks knew we had to throw the ball, and they teed off.

but even after all that, we still found a way to move down field late in the game to give ourselves a chance to win it.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Feb 2, 2014 at 8:48 PM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I watched the coaches film of the NFC Championship and found myself keying on the Seattle offensive line. They ran the same set over and over again. The entire line would slant right or left and Lynch would follow them or cut back, that's it! The 49ers on the other hand played straight ahead. I don't think the problem is our OL and the scheme is not as bad as it may seem. Due to the crowd noise the 49ers were a half step behind. The only way to beat Seattle is with power. Let's hope Lattimore becomes the X-factor.

Seattle runs a zone blocking scheme which is why you saw that.
-Overall Team Improvement

-Good Drafting

-The boost of now healthy players: Tank, Lattimore, Dial and the forgotten man Ian Williams
Originally posted by Touchdown49ers2014:
I think Carroll and Harbaugh are both good coaches but Carroll seems to have a better eye assessing talent and acquiring players that will be successful in his offensive/defensive schemes.

49ers seem to waste a lot of draft picks that dont pan out. Also their free agent signings other then Boldin hardly make an impact.

On the otherhand look at Seattle's free agent signings and how much impact they made. They got the Seahawks a SB victory,

This is another good point. I posted this in another thread, but it's relevant here too - this is all about a lack of killer instinct. We don't take chances and we always play it conservative and it leads to a lack of killer instinct. So we sign mediocre FAs, we draft players and don't develop them properly, so on and so forth.

What Harbaugh and Baalke have created here is a perfect recipe for a team that will be "good" for a long time, but never "good enough." This is basically the Eagles of the 2000s all over again. It is time for this team to make a decision - either man up, get the killer instinct, and take the chances for a title in 2014 and 2015, or admit that they want to be second place until Seattle fizzles out and bide our time until then to make big moves.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/what-49ers-must-do-overtake-seahawks
Make one play.
I don't want to 2nd guess this team, staff, ownership etc. We're breaking down individual plays against the best competition. Games that come down to 1 or 2 plays. It's a make/miss league...make the play or miss. One thing I am jealous of is Seattle's ability to go run and hide from another team, just beat their doors in when they have the chance.

We dominated so many games and won by 7 or 10. If we were in this game vs. Denver and got out to that start we wouldn't have finished it off like Seattle did.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Make one play.

Lets hope it's not to Crabtree in the corner. I've seen that movie in 2012 and 2013.....

My guess says they lose Mike Bennett this season for sure, dude was a monster on pass rush.
Originally posted by OrlandoNiner:
It comes down to one thing above all else: coaching.

I really hate to admit this, but Seattle OWNS us in this department and I have to say I admire what Pete Carroll has managed to pull off up in Seattle. That team was absolutely nowhere three years ago and now they just had the biggest rout in Super Bowl history since 1992 against the supposed best QB of the modern era.

There is no reason why we should always have our snaps come up right against the play clock. There is no reason why we should always be running out of timeouts. There is no reason why our play calls should be predictable as all hell and why we can't run simple screens or fade routes. There is no reason why our secondary should be biting so badly on plays like that long TD in the Seattle game.

Two years ago we had more talent than Seattle. Last year we had more talent than Seattle. This year we had as much talent as Seattle. Seattle spanked us in December last year and they outperformed us this year. No reason why that should happen when we started off with a more stacked team than they did. Right now Carroll owns Harbaugh, and Harbaugh needs to step up. He can start by dumping the cancer that is Greg Roman.

Well, I'd say our defensive coaching staff is up to par. I respect the job Fangio has done, as well as Tomsula and Donatell. They're always getting the most out of our guys and developing them, I have full trust and faith in our defense. They're championship ready and play like it every Sunday.

As for the offensive coaching staff, it's a completely different story and this is where I believe our biggest weakness is. Guys are always underutized, underdeveloped (particularly WRs and RBs not named Gore). Their offensive "philosophy" is decades removed from the modern era of the game and our passing game in particular is weak.

For us to get back to the big game and win it all next year, it depends on Roman improving as a play caller, advancing in the playbook to evolve offensively, and Kap continuing to progress as a passer and his progressions. Tweaks and changes will have to be made and Harbaugh will have to step up. As much as I hate to say it, Carrol is the better coach right now and their offensive coaching staff is light years ahead of ours.

Changes and necessary adjustments must be made because this offense isn't good enough as it is, especially with all the talent we have.
Alex Mack is the answer! period hardcore old school center He'll make a big difference !
dont get shy. unleash some bombs and get tricky to seal an early lead, and then just hang on
The key is Colin Kaepernick needs to stop turning the ball over. There is nothing complex about it... both of the losses in Seattle this year are directly tied into Kaepernick's multiple turnovers in the 4th quarter. The defense did a great job in both games until Kaepernick started turning it over in the 4th.

The offensive line needs to get a lot better at pass protection. Goodwin was good in 2011, bad in 2012, and worse this year... age caught up with him obviously. I don't know how many times Kap got pressured up the middle by an unblocked guy with Goodwin standing around looking for someone to block or needlessly helping Boone or Iupati. Anthony Davis needs to get better too... with his extension we're stuck with him and he is so up and down with his pass protection.. one week he'll be great and then the next he'll be terrible.

Weapons... Weapons... Weapons. The biggest lesson learned this year was that the 49ers need more WRs. If they can bring Boldin back that will be fantastic... I still like the idea of a healthy Crabtree, VD, and Boldin... hopefully in 2014 none of them suffer any major injuries. I like the little flashes Patton has shown but lets be honest he hasn't done anything and those flashes might be nothing.

Harbaugh and Roman need to grow a pair. In my opinion their conservatism has doomed the 49ers just as much as players making mistakes and turning the ball over at the end of the NFC Championship games and last years SB. We all see them play for FGs instead of TDs nearly every time the 49ers get in scoring range. I suppose I can accept that approach with Smith at QB or an inexperienced Kap, but they are now 0-3 for Super Bowls with a 49ers team that had a real chance to win each of the last 3 Super Bowls.

Although, none of this will matter if they don't do a good job of replacing the secondary. Replacing Rogers and Whitner shouldn't be too difficult considering how bad they've both become... but I will miss Brown if he leaves too. Its good to have Brock but who knows what Culliver will be like when he returns from his injury.
Share 49ersWebzone