There are 135 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers vs NFC West

Originally posted by Kronos2560:
Alex Smith has won 4 straight against Seattle, Yet Colin Kaepernick has yet to beat them at all. Why is that?

In my opinion, we are playing away from our strengths to over emphasize what we have in Colin, which is backfiring big time.

When Alex was playing, he would be under center. This gave him the option of quick reads, check downs and a power running game. What this allowed us to do was move the ball down the field with guaranteed, methodical yardage that either put points on the board, or gave us field position so our defense could stop Seattles Offense. (Just like they did last night.)

With Colin, we are seeing unnecessary shots, long drop backs and stupid gimmick Pistol runs which don't work when we have 2-3 WR sets. The offense was way too complicated last night for the environment and defense we were up against.

What I think Harbaugh and crew need to do is get back to mixing in their old school smashmouth Stanford Cardinal Football, without completely eliminating the option of the big play. It is what won us games against them in the past, I think it's time we get back to playing that way, but with a little more throwing power

Really? I'd expect this sort of post from a noob. BRB, Alex Smith beat the Seahawks with Tavaris Jackson and Seneca Wallace....................

Hmmmm............people beat the hell out of Indy in 2011 but not nearly so much in 2012....why is that.
I will agree that you're not going to beat Seattle's defense consistently running plays with 2 WR's, as others have said, the teams that had the best success against them offensively spread them out. Its not necessarily about mismatches, its about preventing them from cheating on routes, keeping their safeties up close..etc.

If you have 2 WR's and 1 TE out there, it's way too f**king easy for them. Sherman locks down one WR and one side of the field, with the other WR, you'll have their second cornerback as well as Thomas cheating to aid in covering that target, then you have a linebacker and or Chancellor coming down on the TE. That leaves you with a smothering defensive line, your running back with hands of stone either blocking or dropping passes in the flat and low probability passes to your fullback like we saw in the game.

The key is to back Thomas off, to send someone deep, to spread the field apart as much as possible, they love to cluster up together and be able to aid each other, the further you spread them out, the more it takes them out of the defense they want to play, it also prevents them from putting 8 in the box like they absolutely love to do.

Roman did absolutely NOTHING to challenge their defense or to force it to adjust in anyway/shape or form. It was absolutely f**king disgraceful, dude should give the equivalent of one game's pay back because he completely mailed it in.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 17, 2013 at 9:56 AM ]
Honestly we are the Jets of the NFC, and the Seahawks are the Patriots of the NFC. I think we might need to do something soon or else we are f**ked.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by NCommand:
We did...he got tossed on the ground like a rag-doll.

Did he ? I missed that. By whom ? Chancellor ? Man, the Legion Of Boom is no joke.

That's why I have always said we need bigger wideouts !! Case proven. If we don't upsize our receiving corps, their secondary is going to continue to own our receivers.

I'd have to go back but I believe it was in 4Q? I'm fairly certain that it was beyond 5 yards too. Either way, it was sad to watch. Boldin and McDonald fought hard...too hard for McDonald (penalty).

Man, I hate seeing our guys get raped like that. We really need to get some big WRs to repay the favour. I would love to see us dismantle the Legion Of Boom. We don't have the personnel now. Just look at Julio and Roddy, they can destroy the Legion Of Boom, even that di*khead Sherman had to clap to compliment Roddy's play.
I saw that. Patton jumped up and looked like he thought about retaliating, but held back. Smart kid.

I think the Niners have yet to figure out how to game plan against Seattle. How does a team with a strong O line, a versatile QB, but limited WRs take on a team with a big, physical DL and big, physical DBs? Read option, and most running plays up the gut seem unlikely to succeed. A deep passing attack (ala Norv Turner) seems unlikely to succeed.

I saw a call in the GB/Washington game where GB ran a quick slant and the Wash CB got physical with the WR--w/in five yards of the LOS--but because Rogers threw the ball right away, the CB got called for PI. Why wouldn't that work against Seattle?

If Boldin had run some quick slants and Sherman holds him within 5 yards, Sherman gets the PI call if Boldin is thrown to immediately but can't make the catch. Or if Boldin makes the catch, because he's such a strong dude, he gains five yards or so. That play takes advantage both of Boldin's physical strength, and Sherman's physical play at the LOS--and would force Sherman to back off if he keeps getting called for PI.

It just seems to me that there's gotta be a plan that takes advantage of Seattle's physical play, something better than what they've been attempting the past two games.
Originally posted by NYVAGIANTSSUCK:
Honestly we are the Jets of the NFC, and the Seahawks are the Patriots of the NFC. I think we might need to do something soon or else we are f**ked.

Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
man we suck.....

This ass beating could be a good thing, like when the Eagles throttled us in 94

We are slowly turning into the 2011 Pittsburgh Steelers and that is not a good thing at all....
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I will agree that you're not going to beat Seattle's defense consistently running plays with 2 WR's, as others have said, the teams that had the best success against them offensively spread them out. Its not necessarily about mismatches, its about preventing them from cheating on routes, keeping their safeties up close..etc.

If you have 2 WR's and 1 TE out there, it's way too f**king easy for them. Sherman locks down one WR and one side of the field, with the other WR, you'll have their second cornerback as well as Thomas cheating to aid in covering that target, then you have a linebacker and or Chancellor coming down on the TE. That leaves you with a smothering defensive line, your running back with hands of stone either blocking or dropping passes in the flat and low probability passes to your fullback like we saw in the game.

The key is to back Thomas off, to send someone deep, to spread the field apart as much as possible, they love to cluster up together and be able to aid each other, the further you spread them out, the more it takes them out of the defense they want to play, it also prevents them from putting 8 in the box like they absolutely love to do.

Roman did absolutely NOTHING to challenge their defense or to force it to adjust in anyway/shape or form. It was absolutely f**king disgraceful, dude should give the equivalent of one game's pay back because he completely mailed it in.

Agreed. But as many have stated, Roman is an expert at calling complex run plays. Anything else seemingly gets him out of his comfort zone. Bet he has less than a dozen plays in the playbook for a 4 receiver set.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
and people think I am nuts,, well I am but still
Originally posted by pete98146:
Agreed. But as many have stated, Roman is an expert at calling complex run plays. Anything else seemingly gets him out of his comfort zone. Bet he has less than a dozen plays in the playbook for a 4 receiver set.

I'm starting to feel like this team desperately needs a passing game coordinator like they had at Stanford. Roman does well in all facets against teams with shoddy/mediocre defenses but can't seem to do much of anything against teams with better defenses.

Watch for the 49ers to go for about 500 yards against Indy's mediocre defense and instantly all criticism of Roman gets shutdown until the next time the offense gets...shutdown.....by a quality defense.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 17, 2013 at 10:23 AM ]
As others have said, the key to beating Seattle is to spread them out and use quick passes. Also, Kaep needs to learn how to take the check down when nothing else is there...he is always looking for the long pass which won't work against Seattle.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by pete98146:

I'm starting to feel like this team desperately needs a passing game coordinator like they had at Stanford. Roman does well in all facets against teams with shoddy/mediocre defenses but can't seem to do much of anything against teams with better defenses.

Watch for the 49ers to go for about 500 yards against Indy's mediocre defense and instantly all criticism of Roman gets shutdown until the next time the offense gets...shutdown.....by a quality defense.
i do not like roman, never wanted him back but for some odd reason, I am not as upset with him as many others are. I sure do understand why they are upset but I guess i just look at sunday as a total complete meltdown from top to bottom so its unfair to single anyone out. aside from dawson no one had a good game.
Originally posted by cciowa:
i do not like roman, never wanted him back but for some odd reason, I am not as upset with him as many others are. I sure do understand why they are upset but I guess i just look at sunday as a total complete meltdown from top to bottom so its unfair to single anyone out. aside from dawson no one had a good game.

I disagree completely. Why do people keep saying this nonsense? The defense killed it on Sunday, the offense let the entire team down. 49ers kept Seattle to 5 points(2 from the offense)....so basically 3 points for the entire 1st half. Russell Wilson was harassed and hurried, hit often, as poorly as the offense looked, Fangio had the defense on point. By the end of the 3rd quarter, Seattle only had 12 points....well 10 if you take away the safety. If you told me that the 49ers defense would hold Seattle to 10 points after 3 quarters and that Russell Wilson had a QB rating of around 20 at that same junction in the game, I'd expect the 49ers to be up big.

The defense did their job, its not their fault that Roman worked up the gameplan in between games of solitaire, on his Friday morning coffee break, or at least that is what it seemed like, an absolutely piss poor job of playcalling with absolutely no imagination whatsoever.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 17, 2013 at 10:31 AM ]

you mean the jets who got rocked by the pats, then returned to their crib to beat them in the playoffs?
Originally posted by 5280High:

seriously...SOMETIMES YOU LOSE. That's how it works.

We've all been at this long enough to know you can't win 'em all. The team knows they have work to do. Believe it or not, all these other teams we play are full of talented guys and coaches who want to win games. I hate the thought of it but Seattle is one hell of a team. And we will play them again, but not this week. Frankly I want our guys preparing to beat the Colts right now, not game planning for December just yet.
original poster couldnt be more than right. our coaches against the hawks did exaclt what the pack did against us, went in with one game plan an didnt change when that plan got them behind. stubborn stupidity. i think one of the biggest things holding us back is NOT USING OUR PLAYERS. i think hunter saw the field for one play sunday= ignorant. once they put mcdonald in he has a big catch an run an sherman just bounces off him when hes not even tryin to push him. what do they do after that? TAKE HIM OUT!???!?. stupid. baldwin is what 6'4? yet they still didnt use him against a taller secondary. as long as they keep mcdonald and the rest of our talent on the bench an keep using the same small group of players we will keep losing.