There are 227 users in the forums

49ers vs NFC West

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Ive been saying to my friends Rams scare me more than seaf*gs. SEA cant win outside of Sea rams have a scary pass rush too.
@chico49erfan & @bluefox

When I have predicted a Seattle regression, it's mainly based on their schedule and not so much on their team. I think they have a very powerful team. But, you have to admit that they have trouble on the road. This season, their road schedule is MUCH harder for them than last season. They lost some squeakers to teams like Detroit, Miami and Arizona on the road last year. This year they have to play the Falcons, Giants and Houston on the road. So I would say it's a sober look at a much harder schedule with a little wishful thinking mixed in for good measure.

The other thing is the Rams have a much harder road schedule as well this year. And strangely, the NIners have a much easier road schedule than they did last year.
I just hope they don't come out flat in those so called easy road games. Teams will be playing up to us now, just like the good ol' days. As far as the Rams go, yeah they are a sleeper team this year. Fisher is a good coach too, I would expect his team to be tough and smart. I was actually hoping for Jim or Jeff to replace Simpletary. It's great football in the NFC west. Maybe the top 3 get in the playoffs?
GNeilsen, I have to admit I did not take anyone's schedule into consideration. That's a good point. I figure Seattle will be improved offensively this year, based on their QB making that sophomore leap and the addition of a fine receiver. I know some say that RW is too short to play, once defenses scheme to keep him in the pocket. Not sure I buy that idea, but it's something to watch for.

I think the 49ers will field a more potent offense for the same reason, except for the part about the receivers. That's a problem.
@Albinorhino49: Yeah, they have to figure out how to stay up game after game. No more of that W-W-L-W-W-L business. And again, the Rams also have a much tougher road schedule than they had last year.

@bluefox: I'm hoping their road woes continue and let's face it, the Giants, Falcons and Texans are not teams you want to play on the road. The size thing with Wilson IS something to keep watching. I have found looking at the historical statistics that those shorter QB's who HAVE made it in the NFL have been generally very productive. But, on the other hand, I keep thinking about the way the Steelers "Steel Curtain" dealt with the greatest shorter QB of all time, Fran Tarkenton. They basically game planned to try to keep him in the pocket while crushing the pocket with tallish D-linemen and at times stunting ILB's through inside gaps. We'll see if the Niners or anyone else tries that approach and whether or not it works. The other thing I'm sure teams have noticed about Wilson is that he really needs to get deep in the pocket and he uses play action to achieve that - the Niners and everyone else are going to be working real hard to shut that Hawks running game down so he can't do that as effectively. There's no question in my mind that he is real, real good. We'll just have to see if an off season of planning will yield defenses that can dull his effectiveness a bit.
We will see. I know Brockers destroyed our interior o line last year. They just couldn't block dude. Still should have beat them twice last year though. It will be a interesting year.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
@Albinorhino49: Yeah, they have to figure out how to stay up game after game. No more of that W-W-L-W-W-L business. And again, the Rams also have a much tougher road schedule than they had last year.

@bluefox: I'm hoping their road woes continue and let's face it, the Giants, Falcons and Texans are not teams you want to play on the road. The size thing with Wilson IS something to keep watching. I have found looking at the historical statistics that those shorter QB's who HAVE made it in the NFL have been generally very productive. But, on the other hand, I keep thinking about the way the Steelers "Steel Curtain" dealt with the greatest shorter QB of all time, Fran Tarkenton. They basically game planned to try to keep him in the pocket while crushing the pocket with tallish D-linemen and at times stunting ILB's through inside gaps. We'll see if the Niners or anyone else tries that approach and whether or not it works. The other thing I'm sure teams have noticed about Wilson is that he really needs to get deep in the pocket and he uses play action to achieve that - the Niners and everyone else are going to be working real hard to shut that Hawks running game down so he can't do that as effectively. There's no question in my mind that he is real, real good. We'll just have to see if an off season of planning will yield defenses that can dull his effectiveness a bit.
ha, remember all those times the vikings went to the super bowl and pissed down their legs? never saw a running back who was supposed to be great but vanished in the super bowl like chuck foreman did. Ha. also we have to see if the adjustments that I assume we are doing in the off season will counter those adjustments I assume other teams are doing to try to make our offense not as effective., if that makes sense
Originally posted by lamontb:
We will see. I know Brockers destroyed our interior o line last year. They just couldn't block dude. Still should have beat them twice last year though. It will be a interesting year.

He's very big and strong. They seemed to get him a little more under control in the second game though. In the first game he had 1.5 sacks, 3 tackles and 2 assists. In the second game, no sacks, 2 tackles and 1 assist. He's definitely not easy to move. The Rams have a very strong defensive line.
Originally posted by cciowa:
ha, remember all those times the vikings went to the super bowl and pissed down their legs? never saw a running back who was supposed to be great but vanished in the super bowl like chuck foreman did. Ha. also we have to see if the adjustments that I assume we are doing in the off season will counter those adjustments I assume other teams are doing to try to make our offense not as effective., if that makes sense

It does make sense and I think that's partly why Mangini is there.
That could in part explain why mangini is here. His record as a coach wasn't that terrific, altho he does a good job on TV of breaking down plays. Is he a good coach? I dunno. Could roman use some help? you bet. Is Mangini here to take roman's place when he moves on next yr to HC elsewhere? Maybe. But I still feel that JH is our best playcaller, not Roman. My wish would be for roman to help O with plays for the week, and JH to call plays on game day. If roman has some input on occasion, well, great. Against SEA, we definitely need something different...and needless to say, same goes for the rams, who outcoached us twice. Ouch!

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PrisonOfGlass:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Niners can only beat themselves--sweeping the division...

We need to get this guy some pom-poms.

I already got yours and YOUR mom's.

Fake azz Niner fan... get lost son!
[ Edited by LVJay on Jul 3, 2013 at 9:51 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by elguapo:
The rams secondary besides finnegan is not good at all. Their lbs are average at best bc laurenitus is good but nothing too special. They lost amendola and Jackson so good luck there. Their OL is above average so yes sometimes they match up well but they are not going to beat us.

Also the Seahawks are very good but it takes a great team like the niners to be great and win ON THE ROAD. Are we forgetting the hawks lost to
MIAMI
DETROIT
ARIZONA
RAMS
And they scored 6 points against us

Again, you heard it right, Miami Detroit ariz and the rams hahahahaha

^^^
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
No way. The only guy on that team that scared me is in Atlanta now.

Steven Jackson always seemed to disappear in games against us. I was more worried about Danny Amendola. Our secondary couldn't cover him to save their lives. Now Tavon Austin is a big unknown. Hopefully Vic Fangio is scheming to stop those fast, shifty slot receivers like Austin and Harvin, now both in our division. We're going to need our secondary to play very smart football, not go for big hits, wrap them up and take them down. Let the linebackers go for the big hits. This is what worries me about having a rookie free safety in Eric Reid. Hopefully he can contain Harvin and Austin, otherwise we're going to have some ugly games this year.

One big hit from Reid and Harvin or Austin will be on IR.

I remember thinking we would obliterate Harvin last year against Minnesota. Didn't work out that way. He made our secondary take bad angles, kept getting to the second layer on short screen passes. Sure, a big hit would be nice but for the sake of winning the game, we need to simply stop them in their tracks, not de-cleat them, at least not from the safety position. Let Bowman and Willis do that.
Originally posted by bluefox:
GNeilsen, I have to admit I did not take anyone's schedule into consideration. That's a good point. I figure Seattle will be improved offensively this year, based on their QB making that sophomore leap and the addition of a fine receiver. I know some say that RW is too short to play, once defenses scheme to keep him in the pocket. Not sure I buy that idea, but it's something to watch for.

I think the 49ers will field a more potent offense for the same reason, except for the part about the receivers. That's a problem.

It will be interesting to see what happens when defenses don't allow Russell Wilson to bootleg and roll out of the pocket on every play. Remember Troy Smith? Out of the pocket, he looked like a superstar, took over for Alex for awhile. Trapped in the pocket? Different story. One play I would watch out for is the midget-to-midget pass from Wilson to Harvin. A lot of the non-midget defenders might have a hard time seeing the play develop underneath.
Originally posted by Psinex:
I remember thinking we would obliterate Harvin last year against Minnesota. Didn't work out that way. He made our secondary take bad angles, kept getting to the second layer on short screen passes. Sure, a big hit would be nice but for the sake of winning the game, we need to simply stop them in their tracks, not de-cleat them, at least not from the safety position. Let Bowman and Willis do that.

Harvin had 9 catches for 89 yards and no touchdowns. That's a decent day, but it's not like he took the game over.
Share 49ersWebzone