There are 166 users in the forums

49ers vs NFC West

Shop Find 49ers gear online
man we suck.....
Originally posted by xtm059:
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
The Hawks are clearly the best team in the west RIGHT NOW, season is still early though
clearly the best at holding

I forgot to mention clearly the dirtiest team too.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
man we suck.....

This ass beating could be a good thing, like when the Eagles throttled us in 94
Roman/Harbaugh need to do two things;

A. Put a leash on Kaep; Okay I get it, Kaep is an amazing athlete and had a monster 11 game run, but the honey moon period is over. Green Bay was foolish and didn't ease up off their defensive gameplan after it was obvious Kaep was headed for damn near a 500 yard passing day. Pushing all my 49er bias to the side and being 100% honest, Green Bay's coaches handed us that out of spite and ignorance by choosing to stay with a ridiculous defensive plan and trying to run the ball on defense against a dominant run defense team (not to mention the foolish idea that they could intimidate us with bully antics). I know a lot of the fan boys may not want to hear it but had Green Bay not been so stubborn, we could very easily be 0-2 right now.

The run game has not been there which forces us to put a larger load of the burden on Kaep's shoulders. This is not how you build QB's up, it's how you break them down before they hit 30 years old. At the end of the day Kaep is only 12 games in, we have to put him on the same strict watch we had Smith on if we plan on winning 12+ games this season, and trust me we will need at least 12 wins to guarantee this division and home field should we run into Seattle in the playoffs. This isn't the old NFC west, EVERY team in this division plays physical defense, there are no more cake walks through the division. We have to buckle down and tailor the gameplan to make Kaep the x-factor he is and not the backbone/savior/sole proprietor of the offense.

B. Look at what New England/Philly/Denver; What I suggest is us taking a really long look at the no huddle/fast pace offense the Pats/Eagles/Broncos run. I feel like we have a team full of gym rats who are in great physical condition with great cardio endurance. Look at Anthony Dixon each year he has been in our program, he's been in better shape every year and it shows in his play. After last nights lost I looked at the two teams who gave Seattle the most issues at home; Green Bay and New England. Both teams should have beat the Seahawks at home and one actually did (packers) but the replacement refs blew the game. If New England had our defense they would have beaten the Seahawks by 20+ (they were up 20-10 going into the 4th quarter, gave up 14 points in the fourth).

How those teams lost is irrelevant, whats important is what they did to put points on the board. Brady/Hoodie spreaded the defense out and forced the to play in space leaving opportunity underneath to what ever WR/TE was there (five players had 5+ receptions). It's pure logic, don't over think it, spread em out and take what they give you. 5+2+3 still equals 10 yards and a first down, it wears the defense down and opens up opportunity for the run game. NE had 22 rushes for about 84 yards, I'm sure with our superior oline and running back talent we could go for 110+ if we play our cards right.

Seattle is a talented team and any game against them will more than likely be a dog fight, but if we are not giving ourselves a chance by running an offense that forces teams to stop keying in on Kaep and our running game, we won't get far. Lets keep what got us here at our core but add some new stuff to keep teams off balance. I still want to see more heavy run formations in enemy territory ( >30) but lets wear teams out a bit then get to bring out the extra big guys to road grate and make things happen for Gore and company.

I'll keep my trust in Harbaugh and his crew for now. I hope they go back to the drawing board and figure out some ways to use what talent we have at WR, and get the running game going again.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by 24plus25er

How those teams lost is irrelevant, whats important is what they did to put points on the board. Brady/Hoodie spreaded the defense out and forced the to play in space leaving opportunity underneath to what ever WR/TE was there (five players had 5+ receptions). It's pure logic, don't over think it, spread em out and take what they give you. 5+2+3 still equals 10 yards and a first down, it wears the defense down and opens up opportunity for the run game. NE had 22 rushes for about 84 yards, I'm sure with our superior oline and running back talent we could go for 110+ if we play our cards right.

Heard a guy on the radio talking about this, great post btw. He used a fantastic metaphor describing Payton Manning. Said something along the lines of him being a surgeon making small incisions with a bunch of short passes and no huddle. Sooner or later those incisions start to bleed and you have to put a bandage on em. As soon they apply the bandages you gas em.
Alex Smith has won 4 straight against Seattle, Yet Colin Kaepernick has yet to beat them at all. Why is that?

In my opinion, we are playing away from our strengths to over emphasize what we have in Colin, which is backfiring big time.

When Alex was playing, he would be under center. This gave him the option of quick reads, check downs and a power running game. What this allowed us to do was move the ball down the field with guaranteed, methodical yardage that either put points on the board, or gave us field position so our defense could stop Seattles Offense. (Just like they did last night.)

With Colin, we are seeing unnecessary shots, long drop backs and stupid gimmick Pistol runs which don't work when we have 2-3 WR sets. The offense was way too complicated last night for the environment and defense we were up against.

What I think Harbaugh and crew need to do is get back to mixing in their old school smashmouth Stanford Cardinal Football, without completely eliminating the option of the big play. It is what won us games against them in the past, I think it's time we get back to playing that way, but with a little more throwing power
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
Alex Smith has won 4 straight against Seattle, Yet Colin Kaepernick has yet to beat them at all. Why is that?

Primarily because Seattle was rebuilding when Smith was playing them. Seattle started playing like a playoff team around week 7 of last season.
Great post. Completely agree.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Re-establish the run, and other aspects of the offense will get opened up. Seattle's defense has flaws that can be exploited.

In a high noise environment, you need to come with a simplified game plan. Just get to the line and snap the ball
Originally posted by maltz88:
Primarily because Seattle was rebuilding when Smith was playing them. Seattle started playing like a playoff team around week 7 of last season.

Doesn't change the fact that our scheme was better and more efficient. I'm in no way saying Smith is the better option at QB, I am more so reflecting on a time where we had a better gameplan against Seattle. (Whom I get weren't the same team as the are now)

Originally posted by 24plus25er:

B. Look at what New England/Philly/Denver; What I suggest is us taking a really long look at the no huddle/fast pace offense the Pats/Eagles/Broncos run. I feel like we have a team full of gym rats who are in great physical condition with great cardio endurance. Look at Anthony Dixon each year he has been in our program, he's been in better shape every year and it shows in his play. After last nights lost I looked at the two teams who gave Seattle the most issues at home; Green Bay and New England. Both teams should have beat the Seahawks at home and one actually did (packers) but the replacement refs blew the game. If New England had our defense they would have beaten the Seahawks by 20+ (they were up 20-10 going into the 4th quarter, gave up 14 points in the fourth).

Seattle is a talented team and any game against them will more than likely be a dog fight, but if we are not giving ourselves a chance by running an offense that forces teams to stop keying in on Kaep and our running game, we won't get far. Lets keep what got us here at our core but add some new stuff to keep teams off balance. I still want to see more heavy run formations in enemy territory ( >30) but lets wear teams out a bit then get to bring out the extra big guys to road grate and make things happen for Gore and company.

Agree with this x bajillion.
I totally agree with what was said. We have one of the best o-lines in the nfl. A tight end that can run block and out run any linebacker. Not to mention the 1-2 punch of Frank and Kendall. Kaep will be phenomenal but only if Greg roman takes the pressure off him. Smash mouth football with our big uglies and the undeniable truth equals victories. Watching that game was almost as disturbing as the losing the big one. Greg needs to take a look at those defeats and realize we're getting away from our identity. A running team that has a athletic QB. After all isn't that why we drafted Joe Staley....Anthony Davis....Mike Iupati
Keap looked like he was playin with a leash on last night .. i believe that was tha problem all this hit tha QB run option crap had us coaching scared....
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Roman/Harbaugh need to do two things;

A. Put a leash on Kaep; Okay I get it, Kaep is an amazing athlete and had a monster 11 game run, but the honey moon period is over. Green Bay was foolish and didn't ease up off their defensive gameplan after it was obvious Kaep was headed for damn near a 500 yard passing day. Pushing all my 49er bias to the side and being 100% honest, Green Bay's coaches handed us that out of spite and ignorance by choosing to stay with a ridiculous defensive plan and trying to run the ball on defense against a dominant run defense team (not to mention the foolish idea that they could intimidate us with bully antics). I know a lot of the fan boys may not want to hear it but had Green Bay not been so stubborn, we could very easily be 0-2 right now.

The run game has not been there which forces us to put a larger load of the burden on Kaep's shoulders. This is not how you build QB's up, it's how you break them down before they hit 30 years old. At the end of the day Kaep is only 12 games in, we have to put him on the same strict watch we had Smith on if we plan on winning 12+ games this season, and trust me we will need at least 12 wins to guarantee this division and home field should we run into Seattle in the playoffs. This isn't the old NFC west, EVERY team in this division plays physical defense, there are no more cake walks through the division. We have to buckle down and tailor the gameplan to make Kaep the x-factor he is and not the backbone/savior/sole proprietor of the offense.

I'll keep my trust in Harbaugh and his crew for now. I hope they go back to the drawing board and figure out some ways to use what talent we have at WR, and get the running game going again.

This is the post of the week right here! This guy is spot on.
Watching the game last night reminded me of when the "Greatest Show On Turf" Rams were coming up. The younger, faster Rams were built to beat the bigger, slower Niners back then especially at home in the dome.
Share 49ersWebzone