LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 350 users in the forums

49ers vs NFC West

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
If Clemons, Avril, Irvin and Bennett, all don't play, who subs in for each? And are they any good?

Irvin and probably Avril will be out for the opener, McDaniels and Mebane will be the interior starters, Bennett has a few knicks but i'm sure will suit up, he was slated for a backup role anyway. The worrisome one is Clemons, doubt he;ll get the green light for the opener, which is why Avril was brought in, if I had to guess I would say it's Leo by committee with Mayowa and possibly Schoefied sharing the duties out there. They have both shown a lot of promise in the pre-season, but my guess is Mayowa would get the start probably seeing 60% or more of the time. Not having Irvin in there on obvious passing downs could hurt. Bottom line is the backups are going to have to step up..
[ Edited by hawker84 on Aug 29, 2013 at 12:33 PM ]
Originally posted by hawker84:
If Clemons, Avril, Irvin and Bennett, all don't play, who subs in for each? And are they any good?

Irvin and probably Avril will be out for the opener, McDaniels and Mebane will be the interior starters, Bennett was slated for a backup role anyway. The worrisome one is Clemons, doubt he;ll get the green light for the opener, which is why Avril was brought in, if I had to guess I would say it's Leo by committee with Mayowa and possibly Schoefied sharing the duties out there. They have both shown a lot of promise in the pre-season, but my guess is Mayowa would get the start probably seeing 60% or more of the time. Not having Irvin in there on obvious passing downs could hurt. Bottom line is the backups are going to have to step up..

That sucks.

I don't see how those backups, especially without good rotation, will be able to deal with our O-Line and running game. Wright and Wagner might be fending off guards all game long.

Irvin and probably Avril will be out for the opener, McDaniels and Mebane will be the interior starters, Bennett was slated for a backup role anyway. The worrisome one is Clemons, doubt he;ll get the green light for the opener, which is why Avril was brought in, if I had to guess I would say it's Leo by committee with Mayowa and possibly Schoefied sharing the duties out there. They have both shown a lot of promise in the pre-season, but my guess is Mayowa would get the start probably seeing 60% or more of the time. Not having Irvin in there on obvious passing downs could hurt. Bottom line is the backups are going to have to step up..

That sucks.

I don't see how those backups, especially without good rotation, will be able to deal with our O-Line and running game. Wright and Wagner might be fending off guards all game long.

Our starters couldn't stop your running game last year, i'm sure the backups will do no worse.. sad to say. I'm more concerned about pass rush/pressure

That sucks.

Our starters couldn't stop your running game last year, i'm sure the backups will do no worse.. sad to say. I'm more concerned about pass rush/pressure

That's wishful thinking, but if the starters had trouble, the backups are in deep doo doo. Yeah your pass rush faded big time when Clemons went down.
Seattle just reminds me of a more physical and meaner version of the New Jersey Gina's. I hate both of those teams and their fans equally so there.
Irvin and probably Avril will be out for the opener, McDaniels and Mebane will be the interior starters, Bennett has a few knicks but i'm sure will suit up, he was slated for a backup role anyway. The worrisome one is Clemons, doubt he;ll get the green light for the opener, which is why Avril was brought in, if I had to guess I would say it's Leo by committee with Mayowa and possibly Schoefied sharing the duties out there. They have both shown a lot of promise in the pre-season, but my guess is Mayowa would get the start probably seeing 60% or more of the time. Not having Irvin in there on obvious passing downs could hurt. Bottom line is the backups are going to have to step up..

I'm interested to see how Mebane will deal with his groin injury, his nose guard position requires him to occupy the middle gaps by using leverage and explosion. I could be wrong but I don't see anyone on your team that could come in and replace what Mebane brings to your defense.
McDaniels has also been nursing a groin problem.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/2013/08/27/tuesday-practice-report-mebane-again-sits-out-mcdaniel-also-out/
Originally posted by GNielsen:
McDaniels has also been nursing a groin problem.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/2013/08/27/tuesday-practice-report-mebane-again-sits-out-mcdaniel-also-out/

Wow. Looks like Carrol removed th PEDs from the water. These guys are dropping faster then a coke high.
Really can't replace what any of our starters bring to the defense, especially when you're back ups are dinged up, but from all i've read they'll rest him this game, get him ready for the opener. if he can't go or can't go the whole game, it will hurt, but we do have depth at that position with McDaniels and Bennett, we've even been moving Big Red inside on some obvious running downs, it's the leo position where the majority of our problems are at on the D line. Clemons, Avril , Irvin,

We'll have to wait and see. Avril hasn't been ruled out, nothing has been mentions about it, i'm sure we'll hear something next week. But even if Mebane can't go game one, Carolina is without Fred Taylor, so they're limited at running back, that will help.. Gotta go with what you got i guess and hope for the best. I expect to see Wagner, Wright and Kam involved in a lot of tackles that game.
Really can't replace what any of our starters bring to the defense, especially when you're back ups are dinged up, but from all i've read they'll rest him this game, get him ready for the opener. if he can't go or can't go the whole game, it will hurt, but we do have depth at that position with McDaniels and Bennett, we've even been moving Big Red inside on some obvious running downs, it's the leo position where the majority of our problems are at on the D line. Clemons, Avril , Irvin,

We'll have to wait and see. Avril hasn't been ruled out, nothing has been mentions about it, i'm sure we'll hear something next week. But even if Mebane can't go game one, Carolina is without Fred Taylor, so they're limited at running back, that will help.. Gotta go with what you got i guess and hope for the best. I expect to see Wagner, Wright and Kam involved in a lot of tackles that game.

What do you think about Kuechly week one? He is a beast and could neutralize Wilson and Lynch.

Wow. Looks like Carrol removed th PEDs from the water. These guys are dropping faster then a coke high.

Remember though - Carroll has them doing yoga and meditation. That should be real helpful.

Remember though - Carroll has them doing yoga and meditation. That should be real helpful.

I can just imagine wtf goes on in Sherman's head when he is meditating. Probably talks s**t to his own psyche. "You call that nirvana b***h!"
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Aug 29, 2013 at 2:59 PM ]

I can just imagine wtf goes on in Sherman's head when he is meditating. Probably talks s**t to his own psyche. "You call that nirvana b***h!"

Per Rotoworld:

The Seattle Times doesn't project fourth-round WR Chris Harper to make the Seahawks' final roster.

Harper is the No. 6 receiver in Seattle at the moment, and that doesn't include Percy Harvin (hip, PUP). Harper has the prototypical build of a red-zone/possession receiver at 6-foot-1, 229, but he lacks separation skills. He has just three catches for 23 yards this preseason. Jermaine Kearse and Stephen Williams have out-produced him. Harper will surely be kept on the practice squad if he passes through waivers. He'll see plenty of work Thursday night.

I was interested in this guy during the draft. Thought he could pack on a few pounds and become a TE like Delanie Walker did.

Anybody pay attention to him during the pre-season? Seattle fans, feel free to weigh in.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 29, 2013 at 3:27 PM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
SINE HEEEEM
Share 49ersWebzone