LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 225 users in the forums

49ers vs NFC West

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Dang that home field advantage up there for Seattle is outrageous. I'm going on record right now and saying if the Hawks go 8-0 at home again this season they are winning the division. If they get home field throughout the playoffs they very well could be winning it all this season. Still have to see how they do on the road this season but it seems everything rolls and bounces their way at home.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
For the purpose of educating bubble-bound Seahawks fans, here are some things they may have missed:

- cut block and shot to the head puts Broncos player in the hospital: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/17/derek-wolfe-leaves-seahawks-broncos-game-in-ambulance/

- Redskins saying Red Bryant stepped on a player and hit him in the head: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1476112-are-the-seattle-seahawks-a-dirty-team

- Cowboys players think Seahawks play dirty: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4697783/did-seattle-make-some-dirty-plays-on-dallas

I'm still looking for the interview footage of Atlanta's coach and Jeff Fisher questioning the way the Seahawk corners get away with defensive holding just as Harbaugh has complained. I think it was on ESPN.

1) Your first link is just a recap of the play that injured Wolfe. Have you actually watched the play? No penalty, no fine, and when you watch the play there is nothing discerbably wrong with the hit. It's unfortunate that he was injured, but there hasn't been any indication by anyone, other than on here, that this was a dirty play. Here's the play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7QDEpq-6Ig Wolfe regains his footing and gets his head up before Robinson blocks him. If Robinson blocks at the next level Wolfe would have made the play on Turbin. The only reason this is getting called dirty is because he got injured. If he would have gotten up after the play, nobody would have even given it a second thought.

2) The second link sounds like Red Bryant may have made a dirty play in the Washington game, if it's true. But again, did you read the article? It says, clearly that plays went both ways, and that Seattle isn't considered a dirty team, and in fact ranks near the bottom of the NFL in personal foul penalties.

3) The majority of Dallas complaints centered around Golden Tates cutback block on Sean Lee. Which if you think a 185# WR flat backing a 220# LB is dirty, you're not a football fan.

4) I think your last comment is what has most of you up in arms. The way the hawks secondary plays is very physical. Does this make them a dirty team? To me there's a marked difference. Yes, I agree they play with all kinds of contact down the field, and for whatever reason they hardly ever get called on it. Who knows? Maybe the contact is off the ball and doesn't impede the play so they don't call it. Maybe it looks bad, but doesn't knock the WR off his route, so it's not considered holding. Maybe, the WR is handfighting back to the aggresive corner play so they let them play. Whatever the reason, to me this is a completely separate issue than what makes a team a "dirty" team. But as I've said before, the NFL has let them play this way, even after your coaches incessant complaining. So, if the league is allowing this type of play, my question is what would you do as a coach?

The bottom line is, you can dig back through the player polls that come out each year for the dirtiest players, and the dirtiest teams, and neither Seattle, nor any of their players make the list. Wouldn't a player poll be more accurate on this type of thing, than what we as fans see?

I see Michael Robinson called out on this site as a filthy player for his hit a couple of years ago in Seattle. He wasn't even fined for it. Nor has he ever been fined by the NFL that I can find (someone on here stated he's been fined multiple times). Adrian Moten was fined (who was a 3rd string LB), and Anthony Davis was fined $10,000 for a cut block in the same game. Is he a dirty player? http://www.ninersnation.com/2011/12/30/2671317/49ers-vs-seahawks-nfl-fines-anthony-davis-marshawn-lynch-kyle-williams-adrian-moten

Seattle does have at least one dirty player in Breno Giocomini. Also Brandon Browner has made more than one dirty play that I can recall. But they're not a "dirty" team. I am a Seattle fan, but have no problem discerning who our dirty players are and when a player makes a dirty play.

However, I do know where I'm posting this, and I think this is probably an exercise in head pounding against a wall. But wanted to at least respond with my perspective.
Your first link is just a recap of the play that injured Wolfe. Have you actually watched the play? No penalty, no fine, and when you watch the play there is nothing discerbably wrong with the hit. It's unfortunate that he was injured, but there hasn't been any indication by anyone, other than on here, that this was a dirty play.Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/174056-49ers-nfc-west-rams-seahawks-cardinals-thread/page16/#EG0tYxmdQckJEKMt.99

If you think that play was dirty, maybe table tenis or water polo is the sport for you.. Good Grief...

The majority of Dallas complaints centered around Golden Tates cutback block on Sean Lee. Which if you think a 185# WR flat backing a 220# LB is dirty, you're not a football fan.Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/174056-49ers-nfc-west-rams-seahawks-cardinals-thread/page16/#KOqjygr9tw0zkxmG.99

Have to disagree with this one, i think the Golden Tate hit was a cheap shot on a defenseless player. Not that Lee wasn't looking but the fact Tate put his helmet under Lee's chin, should of hit him in the chest, would've resulted in the same outcome, Lee flat on his back..
[ Edited by hawker84 on Aug 19, 2013 at 8:49 AM ]
Originally posted by hawker84:
Maybe we just don't care G, maybe we like being the bad boys.. Being nice and playing soft has gotten us exactly zippo, maybe this new attitude is exactly what this city/team needs. I don't like cheap shots, or injuries, and i will not condone/defend one of our players playing dirty, but i love physical football, and i love the reaction this team is getting from fans around the league.. frankly i just don't care what any other fan bases thinks of my Hawks, nor should I...

Thank you. See, now that's a response that I find much less annoying than any of these but, but, but... responses like your friend, Maltz below. You're not condoning anything or really denying anything - you're just living with it. Look, if it were just the Niners pointing this out, I'd probably not press the issue. But, as I have tried to demonstrate to your fellow Seahawk fans, it's not just the Niners - it's almost a league-wide understanding among teams that the Seahawks take cheap shots and play in a way that challenges the rule book. This, by the way, is a Pete Carroll thing as far as I'm concerned. I don't remember the Seahawks taking cheap shots on opposing players when Holmgren was running the team and that team came within some horrible officiating of winning a championship.
Maltz, just give it up. You're talking to fans who saw your DB's hold a 185 lb. receiver up (instead of just putting him down) while one of your linebackers dove at his knees and ended his season. You're talking to fans who saw another receiver go to his knees signalling for a whistle while two Seahawk players, one of them being Robinson, dove at him from opposite directions spearing him from both sides and giving him a concussion. If you need to pretend these were something other than cheap shots, go to a Seahawk site and have at it. This is a Niner site. Give it up.
Have to disagree with this one, i think the Golden Tate hit was a cheap shot on a defenseless player. Not that Lee wasn't looking but the fact Tate put his helmet under Lee's chin, should of hit him in the chest, would've resulted in the same outcome, Lee flat on his back..
I try not to overtake a 49ers site with discussions between opposing teams fans, but wanted to send a quick response on this one.

I don't agree. The hit Tate had on Lee was almost the same as the hit Chancellor had on VD. Shoulder pad to the chest. When the defenseless player changes momentum immediately their helmet comes forward and hits the other players helmet with their own just through physics alone.

If you watch the slow mo replay of both hits the same thing happens. Both got flags, but I don't think either is a "dirty" hit.
Let's be clear, I do not think the Seahawks are a dirty team, nor do they take an abnormal amount of cheapshots, any more than any other team. We do play a very physical type of game, which can lead others to feel this way, and i'm ok with that. But as i stated earlier, being the nice guys on the block have gotten us nowhere, including 05 SB.. Other than the Tate hit on Lee, the Hill hit on Manningham (think that's who it was), and Geno's occasional bonehead play, i haven't seen any other dirty play, other than Browner tossing Jennings around like a rag doll. Our (questionable dirty players have already been listed.

Geno
Browner
Hill, no longer a seahawk

Every team has there questionable players, niners no differen't. To think Seattle has more than the average team is incorrect.
[ Edited by hawker84 on Aug 19, 2013 at 9:23 AM ]
Originally posted by maltz88:
I try not to overtake a 49ers site with discussions between opposing teams fans, but wanted to send a quick response on this one.

I don't agree. The hit Tate had on Lee was almost the same as the hit Chancellor had on VD. Shoulder pad to the chest. When the defenseless player changes momentum immediately their helmet comes forward and hits the other players helmet with their own just through physics alone.

If you watch the slow mo replay of both hits the same thing happens. Both got flags, but I don't think either is a "dirty" hit.

I could be wrong, but i've seen it a few times, looks like Tate put his helmet on lee's chin from the initial contact. I don't think it was to injur him , just think it was the heat of the moment thing, but i could see where someone would say it was a cheap shot. again, could be wrong, JMO
Originally posted by hawker84:
Originally posted by NavyHawk:
There is so much poisonous hatred on this forum that it's no longer enjoyable, not to mention informative, to read.

Just six posts above yours, I've posted three articles about how other teams and fans besides the Niners feel the same way. Then, a couple posts later, Pillbusta recounted a number of cheap shots the Niners have taken up there in the last few games. You can deny all you like and say it isn't true. That's what I expect from Seahawk fans. All you're doing is confirming the original point that Seahawk fans live in a bubble and have no clue. At least back in the day Raider fans embraced their team's basic personality. Pathetically, Seahawk fans are just in denial.

And, if you don't like the "poisonous hatred" around here, by all means GTF outta here and don't come back. We don't need your B.S. on a Niner site anymore.

Maybe we just don't care G, maybe we like being the bad boys.. Being nice and playing soft has gotten us exactly zippo, maybe this new attitude is exactly what this city/team needs. I don't like cheap shots, or injuries, and i will not condone/defend one of our players playing dirty, but i love physical football, and i love the reaction this team is getting from fans around the league.. frankly i just don't care what any other fan bases thinks of my Hawks, nor should I...

no need to be here any longer
Maltz, just give it up. You're talking to fans who saw your DB's hold a 185 lb. receiver up (instead of just putting him down) while one of your linebackers dove at his knees and ended his season. You're talking to fans who saw another receiver go to his knees signalling for a whistle while two Seahawk players, one of them being Robinson, dove at him from opposite directions spearing him from both sides and giving him a concussion. If you need to pretend these were something other than cheap shots, go to a Seahawk site and have at it. This is a Niner site. Give it up.

Hence my comment about pounding my head against the wall. I know where I'm posting, and am done. Just had to get it off my chest.

Hence my comment about pounding my head against the wall. I know where I'm posting, and am done. Just had to get it off my chest.

What so leading with the crown of your helmet for a face block on someone whos already down isnt cool?

Okay, that confirms it. You have no idea what you're talking about. Nobody around here is complaining about Chancellor de-cleating Vernon Davis and maybe you've absentmindedly forgotten that the NFL decided NOT to fine Chancellor after reviewing the hit whereas Tate was fined. The Chancellor hit was on a receiver trying to make a jumping catch and ready for the hit. It was a very tough hit, but it was borderline on the rules. The Tate hit was a cheap shot on a player who, rightly or wrongly, wasn't looking out for it and was away from the play. Chancellor was just trying to jar the ball loose - Tate was taking advantage of a player who wasn't watching out for himself and not involved in the actual play.

You've lost any credibility you may have had, not that I thought you had any to begin with.

Good! GTF outta here. You have no idea what you're talking about. That crap works at Seahawk.net. Not here.
The Tate hit was a cheap shot on a player who, rightly or wrongly, wasn't looking out for it and was away from the play. Tate was taking advantage of a player who wasn't watching out for himself and not involved in the actual play.

You've lost any credibility you may have had, not that I thought you had any to begin with.

You don't give Sean Lee much credit.

I would think a player 3 yards off the ball and closing to make a tackle might be considered "involved in the play." When is a player not "involved in the actual play?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3QfYYUYsuA

And I didn't absentmindedly forget anything about fines. I compared the two hits from my perspective, as they were similar. Both plays drew flags. Both technically deserved them by the rules in the game today. I don't think either were "dirty" plays.
Share 49ersWebzone