There are 164 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mario Manningham is expected to be out until late August.

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
He'll be ready by week 3, even longer if Jenkins and Patton step up.

That's the ideal situation... I see it differently, I see our passing game consisting of:

  1. Davis
  2. Boldin
  3. Williams
  4. McDonald
  5. James
  6. Jenkins / Patton

If Mario comes back healthy, he is 3rd option IMO. Will be interesting, I am not 100% happy at PR, I dont trust an inexeperienced Williams. i hope Patton could prove something. I like Hunter and James at 2nd and 3rd RB and KRs. McDonald will be a huge upgrade IMO, Delanie will be forgotten.
agree with most of what AB says esp about walker i forgot him already. i think we are fine at kick return, we got williams, hunter and james,, plus anything the kids can bring to the table will be gravy. the punt return thing only bothers me from a standpoint of who beside kyle can do it. I am fine with kyle and last year in his short body of work, he never screwed up and he was better than "lets catch the ball and run five yards out of bounds ginn". the back up worries me, I guess james is working on it but he needs alot of work,. That is why , like ab,, i think someone like patton, jenkins and my man moore can step up in this area.

I'm concerned that Jenkins doesn't have the body to be a returner. If he gets laid out a few times, it could end him. Ideally, Patton takes the backup returner role, as I don't foresee much passing action for him.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Olejohnnyboy:
That's just crazy! Manningham is a proven vet while those two rookies and Jenkins are unproven! Rookie receivers, historically, are slow to adapt to the NFL.

Meh, he's a quality #3 WR, hardly irreplaceable. This whole things smacks of those people who freaked out when Josh Morgan walked away. I think the 49ers will be fine with Jenkins having another year under his belt and Patton being able to contribute with his playmaking ability.

I agree. Actually, IMO, fringe quality #3. What exactly has Manningham proved? He's living off one sensational catch made two years ago. And that for a team that showed no interest in resigning him. One pretty much knows what one has in Manningham; as you point out, at best a #3. The book on the youngsters, Jenkins, Patton, etc., has yet to be written. I, for one, would be really disappointed if more than one of them does not surpass his rating. And prove less fragile to boot.

Let's not pretend that the fortunes of the Niners is going to depend even slightly on the health of Manningham.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Olejohnnyboy:
That's just crazy! Manningham is a proven vet while those two rookies and Jenkins are unproven! Rookie receivers, historically, are slow to adapt to the NFL.

Meh, he's a quality #3 WR, hardly irreplaceable. This whole things smacks of those people who freaked out when Josh Morgan walked away. I think the 49ers will be fine with Jenkins having another year under his belt and Patton being able to contribute with his playmaking ability.

I agree. Actually, IMO, fringe quality #3. What exactly has Manningham proved? He's living off one sensational catch made two years ago. And that for a team that showed no interest in resigning him. One pretty much knows what one has in Manningham; as you point out, at best a #3. The book on the youngsters, Jenkins, Patton, etc., has yet to be written. I, for one, would be really disappointed if more than one of them does not surpass his rating. And prove less fragile to boot.

Let's not pretend that the fortunes of the Niners is going to depend even slightly on the health of Manningham.

Manningham is a good route runner with good hands and has a 60 catch 1000 yard season under his belt. At this point Jenkins, Patton and Locket have a lot to prove just to be considered below average nfl recievers let alone wrs of Manninghams caliber. Right now it's all wishful thinking and a leap of faith with no evidence on the playing field to support that any of these three will become anything in the nfl.
[ Edited by natrone06 on Jun 25, 2013 at 3:30 PM ]
^ Exactly! Well said!
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,393
Originally posted by Olejohnnyboy:
Rotoworld is also reporting that he is not expected to be back until late August. They posted this on June 22nd.

Here is what Rotoworld posted.

Mario Manningham (ACL, PCL surgery) is not expected to return until late August.

Manningham is six months removed from multiple knee surgeries and is a candidate to open the season on the reserve/PUP list. The 49ers expect him to be ready "at some point" in 2013. With Manningham sidelined, A.J. Jenkins will enter training camp as the slight favorite to start opposite Anquan Boldin.


Source: CSN Bay Area Jun 22 - 11:16 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news

edit: If starts the season on the PUP list, he will miss at least 6 games.
[ Edited by buck on Jun 25, 2013 at 9:31 PM ]
Originally posted by natrone06:
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Olejohnnyboy:
That's just crazy! Manningham is a proven vet while those two rookies and Jenkins are unproven! Rookie receivers, historically, are slow to adapt to the NFL.

Meh, he's a quality #3 WR, hardly irreplaceable. This whole things smacks of those people who freaked out when Josh Morgan walked away. I think the 49ers will be fine with Jenkins having another year under his belt and Patton being able to contribute with his playmaking ability.

I agree. Actually, IMO, fringe quality #3. What exactly has Manningham proved? He's living off one sensational catch made two years ago. And that for a team that showed no interest in resigning him. One pretty much knows what one has in Manningham; as you point out, at best a #3. The book on the youngsters, Jenkins, Patton, etc., has yet to be written. I, for one, would be really disappointed if more than one of them does not surpass his rating. And prove less fragile to boot.

Let's not pretend that the fortunes of the Niners is going to depend even slightly on the health of Manningham.

Manningham is a good route runner with good hands and has a 60 catch 1000 yard season under his belt. At this point Jenkins, Patton and Locket have a lot to prove just to be considered below average nfl recievers let alone wrs of Manninghams caliber. Right now it's all wishful thinking and a leap of faith with no evidence on the playing field to support that any of these three will become anything in the nfl.

Good point.

Certainly I am only hoping for better things for the Niners. But, based off comments made by the coaches, I don't consider it to be just "wishful".

BTW, l would not be so quick to laud his route running skills. I've heard it mentioned as a weakness of his. Also, one of my biggest criticisms of him has been his fragility.

Just curious: When was that season you have cited? And why do you suppose that the Giants showed no interest in resigning him?

No doubting, it would be a boon for the Niners if he showed up. I would be happy to have it turn out to be the case.
Come on Mario, we need you healthy! Last couple of articles about the Niners WR core, have not even included him, what gives, has there been a change in his condition? I still think he starts opposite Boldin this season. Williams, Patton, Jenkins, and Lockette, round out our WR core, with Lock on the bubble.
Frageelee ass muthaf**ka.
Lazy!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Lazy!

Haha
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Come on Mario, we need you healthy! Last couple of articles about the Niners WR core, have not even included him, what gives, has there been a change in his condition? I still think he starts opposite Boldin this season. Williams, Patton, Jenkins, and Lockette, round out our WR core, with Lock on the bubble.

There is no way that Manningham will be ready to start opposite Boldin. If he ever comes back to be competitive in the league it will be a minor miracle. And I loved Manningham before he was even known in NY
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,367
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Lazy!

Haha


Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Frageelee ass muthaf**ka.

... b***h-made
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Olejohnnyboy:
That's just crazy! Manningham is a proven vet while those two rookies and Jenkins are unproven! Rookie receivers, historically, are slow to adapt to the NFL.

Meh, he's a quality #3 WR, hardly irreplaceable. This whole things smacks of those people who freaked out when Josh Morgan walked away. I think the 49ers will be fine with Jenkins having another year under his belt and Patton being able to contribute with his playmaking ability.

I agree. Actually, IMO, fringe quality #3. What exactly has Manningham proved? He's living off one sensational catch made two years ago. And that for a team that showed no interest in resigning him. One pretty much knows what one has in Manningham; as you point out, at best a #3. The book on the youngsters, Jenkins, Patton, etc., has yet to be written. I, for one, would be really disappointed if more than one of them does not surpass his rating. And prove less fragile to boot.

Let's not pretend that the fortunes of the Niners is going to depend even slightly on the health of Manningham.

Was he not productive last year prior to injury even though he shared snaps? Kinda seemed like he was able to get some stuff accomplished.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
There is no way that Manningham will be ready to start opposite Boldin. If he ever comes back to be competitive in the league it will be a minor miracle. And I loved Manningham before he was even known in NY

What? Guys come back from ACL injuries all the time. This isnt 1975.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
There is no way that Manningham will be ready to start opposite Boldin. If he ever comes back to be competitive in the league it will be a minor miracle. And I loved Manningham before he was even known in NY

What? Guys come back from ACL injuries all the time. This isnt 1975.

Mario Manningham tore his ACL AND PCL. How many players have you heard of that has torn their PCL? Its not a very common even in the NFL. The way you tear your PCL is equivalent to blunt force trauma at the knee just like we seen happen to Mario. Yes we see all the time with people coming back from an ACL tear but you also can tear your ACL from turning and cutting the wrong way. His injury was nowhere near the simple simple turn and cut tear that occurmore often. Marios injury even required additional surgeries. Big difference in injuries there.

I hope he does come back and start opposite Boldin but I do know it would be amazing for him come back and play at that type of level.