LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Mario Manningham is expected to be out until late August.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
all these young bucks better step up. Jenkins, Patton, Lockette
This is honestly way earlier than I thought he would even sniff the field. To hear he will be back with the team by the regular season is encouraging, but I dont think that means he will be back playing even then. Just that he will be back to practice and then it will be week to week until he can play. After that it how long until he is a 100%. Still way ahead of schedule from what I figured. I thought mid-season before you saw him on the field. Now it could easily be game 2 or 3.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I tell ya Mario will be ready for week 1. Start opposite Boldin. He won't play much if any Preseason. I expect a good season from Manningham.
I agree that Mario will (barely) be ready for week one. But I don't think he'll be starting. And I think A.J. will lock that up regardless of Manningham's health.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Manningham will not be ready by week 1. They're better off just PUPing him and let him come on slowly.
How is this news? Anybody that was expecting Manningham to make any kind of contribution early in the season after the injury he sustained is delusional.

Even if he is able to practice at full speed at the end of August, he will still have to work off the rust and get into game shape before he will see the field. I doubt he contributes till mid-season.

Make no mistake, we are relying on AJ Jenkins, Quinton Patton, or Ricardo Lockette to step it up.
I do not look for MM to play till late October till early November. It would not surprise me if he gets the B. Jacobs treatment till someone gets nicked up.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
this is not news, everyone would have or should have known he would miss camp but be back by week one or two. him gone and a possible rookie at safety does not have me worried in the least bit
Athletes are coming back better and faster from knee injuries that used to end careers. Sports medicine has taken huge leaps and bounds in recent years and the reason should be obvious. Very wealthy men and companies are investing a lot of money in these athletes. There has already been a huge advance in achilles tendon surgery with micro sutchers and tiny incisions rather than the old way of doing things. This article talks about advances in sports medicine for knee injuries:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20130504/NEWS05/305040015/-1/rss?gcheck=1

So, I think those who don't expect Mario back until October are wrong. I think he's active before the start of the regular season.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Athletes are coming back better and faster from knee injuries that used to end careers. Sports medicine has taken huge leaps and bounds in recent years and the reason should be obvious. Very wealthy men and companies are investing a lot of money in these athletes. There has already been a huge advance in achilles tendon surgery with micro sutchers and tiny incisions rather than the old way of doing things. This article talks about advances in sports medicine for knee injuries:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20130504/NEWS05/305040015/-1/rss?gcheck=1

So, I think those who don't expect Mario back until October are wrong. I think he's active before the start of the regular season.

of course this is the truth.
Originally posted by blm7754:
How is this news? Anybody that was expecting Manningham to make any kind of contribution early in the season after the injury he sustained is delusional.

Even if he is able to practice at full speed at the end of August, he will still have to work off the rust and get into game shape before he will see the field. I doubt he contributes till mid-season.

Said every single person about AP, and then he started the season and went for 2,000 yards.

Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Said every single person about AP, and then he started the season and went for 2,000 yards.

Great point. Sports medicine has been getting a LOT more effective in recent years. Franchises have been pouring millions into it and more students are specializing in it because there's big money there. Most of our perceptions about what an injury does to a player's career are out of date.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
meh, Kap will make any WR look like a star.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
all these young bucks better step up. Jenkins, Patton, Lockette

no games will be won

His injury was VERY bad. That said, I'm not expecting him to be playing in the opener BUT later on.

If he's ready then JH will play him - if he isn't JH won't play him.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
He'll be ready by week 3, even longer if Jenkins and Patton step up.
Share 49ersWebzone