LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Greg Roman - Two-year contract extension

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
True the run game wasn't working, but I think a big reason why we had a big day passing was because GB overcompensated against the run. We had to stick with it, its a key part of the gameplan. We can't become one-dimensional.

Football is a collective effort. Obviously Kap was brilliant and made some outstanding individual plays. But Roman's playcalling also opened up plenty of downfield opportunities for Boldin and Davis.

It absolutely did not. They did not scheme their way open. They didn't do anything special or cute, the line blocked amazing and gave Kap a lot of time.

Usually, if the play calling is amazing, we would see great rushing, and the ball spread around to everyone. It was the opposite of that, which indicates the individual efforts of the players themselves are the reason they put up the numbers.

Really? Boldin and Davis were WIDE open at times once they made their breaks. It was startling. Playcalling opened that up dude. Wasn't all O-line, but kudos to them for giving Kap time. That's what they're supposed to do.

Same story last year when the run game was clicking. It was all Crabtree in the pass game and every one else got scraps. That's just the way our offense works. Nothing wrong with it when you get this type of production. Who cares if it came from 2 receivers or 5?
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 8, 2013 at 7:32 PM ]
Originally posted by Antix:
I doubt we do all the motioning and stuff next week. It obviously be a bad thing to do in Seattle. I agree the motioning and stuff is stupid but I'm hoping its not an every week thing. We'll definitely lose if we do it next week.

I don't even want to think about that. It would be a disaster to attempt it up there. With all the negative plays we had, we are lucky Kap is "Kaptain amazing" and was able to pull us out of third and longs.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Sep 8, 2013 at 7:30 PM ]
run game looked anemic today, hope Roman makes some adjustments
Originally posted by Ballistic:

I couldn't tell if the O-line struggled, or if the Packers were that hell-bent on stopping the run/option -- hence 400 yards through the air. Whatever the case, I really hope we get it together on the ground.
Really? Boldin and Davis were WIDE open at times once they made their breaks. It was startling. Playcalling opened that up dude. Wasn't all O-line, but kudos to them for giving Kap time. That's what they're supposed to do

Davis was wide open on the goal line play, but there was nothing special about his route. It was pretty standard.
Kyle Williams was wide open once, in the middle of the field on a pretty standard route.

Boldin got himself open, and Kap threw him open. They completed a lot of tight passes.

The middle of the field was wide open at times, but much of that has to do with Green Bay being scared to death of Kap running, combined with our O-lines excellent blocking. We settled into a lot of zones. Kap makes it look so easy at times that it seems like the WR or TE is much more open than they really are.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Sep 8, 2013 at 7:37 PM ]
they had months to prepare for this specific game & the read option/pistol

clearly, they learned some things but that just forced the Niners to win with a passing game-- which they clearly struggled to defend.
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:

I couldn't tell if the O-line struggled, or if the Packers were that hell-bent on stopping the run/option -- hence 400 yards through the air. Whatever the case, I really hope we get it together on the ground.

The O-line was excellent. When we lined up and blocked them straight up, with straight handoffs, we looked pretty good.

When we do our bizarre TE motion, fake read option hand-off off-tackle with the guards pulling etc. and make it so complicated and long to get the ball moving, we suffered a ton of negative plays.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Sep 8, 2013 at 7:42 PM ]

Bingo.

People are giving Roman a hard time for calling the run plays that he did. He tried every type of run, nothing was getting consistent yardage. But by not abandoning the run and staying balanced, we got great looks in the pass game.

Boldin and Davis were wide open all game long despite GB knowing they're the primary options in the pass game.

GB was hell-bent on not being embarrassed by the read-option again. So we ran read-option, they overcompensated for it, and we killed them through the air.
Davis was wide open on the goal line play, but there was nothing special about his route. It was pretty standard.
Kyle Williams was wide open once, in the middle of the field on a pretty standard route.

Boldin got himself open, and Kap threw him open. They completed a lot of tight passes.

The middle of the field was wide open at times, but much of that has to do with Green Bay being scared to death of Kap running, combined with our O-lines excellent blocking. We settled into a lot of zones. Kap makes it look so easy at times that it seems like the WR or TE is much more open than they really are.

I think the bolded part is key. We had to stick with the read-option to keep GB scared. They had to respect that threat. Had we abandoned it, they might have started to get comfortable and drop more into coverage.

But the O-line was excellent in pass pro. Best I've seen from a 49er team in a while.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 8, 2013 at 7:43 PM ]

Bingo.

People are giving Roman a hard time for calling the run plays that he did. He tried every type of run, nothing was getting consistent yardage. But by not abandoning the run and staying balanced, we got great looks in the pass game.

Boldin and Davis were wide open all game long despite GB knowing they're the primary options in the pass game.

GB was hell-bent on not being embarrassed by the read-option again. So we ran read-option, they overcompensated for it, and we killed them through the air.

It was almost as if they'd rather lose than give up 200 yards rushing by Kaepernick. I'll take that tradeoff!!

I think the bolded part is key. We had to stick with the read-option to keep GB scared. They had to respect that threat. Had we abandoned it, they might have started to get comfortable and drop more into coverage.

But the O-line was excellent in pass pro. Best I've seen from a 49er team in a while.

That is a good point, but it doesn't explain the oddly designed running plays that were slow to develop and lost yards.

The way the O-line was playing, all we had to do was just man them up and use the simplest blocking schemes, we would have ran over them all day if we did that.
Maybe Gore needs to have a sit down with him...
i think he could still get an hc job somewhere else??

he will prob be the #1 target in the off season...

That is a good point, but it doesn't explain the oddly designed running plays that were slow to develop and lost yards.

The way the O-line was playing, all we had to do was just man them up and use the simplest blocking schemes, we would have ran over them all day if we did that.

Those boys up front for GB are HUGE. They were stuffing the middle all day. That size isn't on most d lines. Agree with the overall bad running set up tho. Too much movement. Just line up and go!

I think it was more of a case of the Packers being hellbent on stopping the run. They played as if they did no work with their pass defense all summer.
Share 49ersWebzone