There are 92 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Greg Roman - Two-year contract extension

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Brodie, I would love to say you are wrong but unfortunately you are both spot on. Confusion, delay in calling the play, or worse, changing the play so Frank runs into a brick wall, guys running all over, motion penalties, sheesh. What exactly was that out there? Either mangini had his hands in the stew, or roman had a brain fart and pandemonium reigned. Literally, it looked like Kap was handcuffed for two plays and third play was a pass to Anquan or Vernon/kyle, and we moved the chains. But play calling was forgettable and regrettable. We won this game due to some great plays on D, some superior play on Kap, Anquan, and Vernons part, and ended up winning a game we could have lost. I repeat my statement from end of last yr. Let our HC be our OC. roman and mangini can send him suggestions via US Mail, but other than that, leave JH alone.

There is only one reason we came out on top today, his name is Anquan Boldin.

We are not worthy.
we need to get back to running the ball. We threw so much our defense didn't get a chance to rest many times
Originally posted by SofaKing:
What are some of you complaining about?? So the read option stuff didnt work today....who cares!!!?! We rolled up 500 yards of offense anyways. Kap is blossoming under this scheme.

Great game by Roman.


Ah ha, I was waiting for someone to trot out the stats and say, see, we actualyl know what we're doing because Kap rolled up more than 400 yards passing.

So, You have to start by realizing Green Bay has a mediocre defense. We will never get a gift like this playing Seattle, Atlanta.

And forget the pass.

Our run game was horribly stuffed for 50 minutes of this game. Ghaaa! We' do nothing but line up freakishly gadgetized formations that are supposed to mystically blow out D run schemes and THEY PRODUCED NOTHING TODAY! Why go through so much effort to fail so miserably? It makes it worse.

I don't want to take away from some good execution by Kap, Boldin, but our scheme really handicapped us today. Period. We are going nowhere if we don't learn some lessons from this. Sorry, but it's true.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Sep 8, 2013 at 7:01 PM ]
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Looks like we are still having problems with getting the calls in on time.

This drives me crazy. We need a simple run play to call when the play before runs to long so we can stop wasting timeouts.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
This is the worst offensive play calling and general scheme I have ever seen from the 49ers.We line up, wave our arms around, shift around, run around back and forth, run back, run forward, audible, more dialogue, more shifting. Then finally, if we're lucky, we get the play off in time, only to be stuffed for a three yard loss.All of this pre-snap activity, sets us up in third and long, where FINALLY, we just line up and run a normal play with normal formations and normal patterns. So what happens? The line blocks perfectly and Kap throws the ball perfectly and we get a first down on the efforts of our players. Somehow, I feel as if the stench of Mangina underlies some of this. If we can just line the f**k up, and run a f**king normal play, this offense can be SO powerful.Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/174587-the-play-calling-and-scheme/#Xfe4YPdywfPSolFb.99

--BrianGO

I thought this post was quite appropriate. For some reason the thread was locked. Weird. Don't know why. These are very similar to my own sentiments. I think this is perfectly reasonable debate to put in the Greg Roman thread.

There were points where our pre snap execution was embarrasingly comical. I have been watching professional football for 40 years and I have never seen a team look as confused, disjointed, amateur, and aimlessly gadgetized as we did today. Even the stinkiest teams never looked so hapless before the snap.

And I am talking about some all time stinky teams -- early 70s Giants and Chargers -- late 70's niners -- mid 70's Bears --- you know, the acme of crap.

They would just get beat up at the line, drop passes and so on. Never did they look like a Pop Warner team trying to line up on peyote.

What are we doing? Without these gaffes and lapses the game would have been over half way through the third quarter. Instead we turned it into a nailbiter.

I can't imagine a professional football team looking so inept at points. Can I just ask, what are we practicing in training camp? How is that we can go through OTA's, camp, 4 preseason games and still look so bumbing and just plain confused at times?

Go Niners.


Thank you.

People point to the stats, but they were 100% Kap and Boldin's ability. Kap was amazing on third and long, he saved our asses all day.

The play calling/scheme was trash. Especially in the first half. We dance and move around more before the snap then we do after the snap. It causes us to lose rhythm, focus, and oftentimes we can't get the play off in time and we have to burn a time out or get a penalty. It is absolutely inexcusable, and causes us to get an awful lot of negative plays.

When we just line up and drop back to pass, we are excellent. We did this on 3rd on long, and that is why we were so successful on third and long.
When we just line up and run the ball out of a regular formation, we were pretty good. It's all the shifting and delayed read option crap that got us into trouble.

We should have DESTROYED Green Bay today. Kap is absolutely amazing. Our O-line was amazing, but the bizarre scheme and play calling is utterly unnecessary. We won this game in spite of it. Again, the foul stench of Mangina is in the air.
Team puts up 34 points wins the game and people still b***h. Can't we revel one day and leave all the negativity for later in the week? No wonder other fans call us the whiners. Even when the team wins you guys still whine.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Thank you.

People point to the stats, but they were 100% Kap and Boldin's ability. Kap was amazing on third and long, he saved our asses all day.

The play calling/scheme was trash. Especially in the first half. We dance and move around more before the snap then we do after the snap. It causes us to lose rhythm, focus, and oftentimes we can't get the play off in time and we have to burn a time out or get a penalty. It is absolutely inexcusable, and causes us to get an awful lot of negative plays.

When we just line up and drop back to pass, we are excellent. We did this on 3rd on long, and that is why we were so successful on third and long.
When we just line up and run the ball out of a regular formation, we were pretty good. It's all the shifting and delayed read option crap that got us into trouble.

We should have DESTROYED Green Bay today. Kap is absolutely amazing. Our O-line was amazing, but the bizarre scheme and play calling is utterly unnecessary. We won this game in spite of it. Again, the foul stench of Mangina is in the air.


Why do you blame Mangini? I think there were many similarities today, to our approach last year.

I think this is just how Greg Roman thinks what offensive play design is all about.

He thinks about optimizing each single play with personnel and pre snap positioning and loses sight of the flow between plays, the art of not giving the D time to read everything and key off packages. This is nirvana, to him.
Originally posted by kingairta:
Team puts up 34 points wins the game and people still b***h. Can't we revel one day and leave all the negativity for later in the week? No wonder other fans call us the whiners. Even when the team wins you guys still whine.




This is so tiresome. A message board isn't for cheer leading. It's for discussing the team. Not just typing "Woohoo WE WON!" or "Boohoo, we lost".
Originally posted by kingairta:
Team puts up 34 points wins the game and people still b***h. Can't we revel one day and leave all the negativity for later in the week? No wonder other fans call us the whiners. Even when the team wins you guys still whine.


You can't adjust your mistakes fast enough in this league, if you want to win consistently. So we start now.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Why do you blame Mangini? I think there were many similarities today, to our approach last year.

I think this is just how Greg Roman thinks what offensive play design is all about.

He thinks about optimizing each single play with personnel and pre snap positioning and loses sight of the flow between plays, the art of not giving the D time to read everything and key off packages. This is nirvana, to him.


Because I don't understand why we look SO different from last year. We ran a ton of running plays up the gut last year. Regular running plays. We're doing a lot of delayed read-option fakes and other stuff I've never seen. I don't know where else it could be coming from. It's just so bizarre.

There are similarities, but the differences are startling. With all the talking and clapping and running around before the snap, we can barely even get the play off in time, and worse yet, when we do, we get slammed with a negative play.

If Kap wasn't Super Man today, it would have been UGLY.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
What are some of you complaining about?? So the read option stuff didnt work today....who cares!!!?! We rolled up 500 yards of offense anyways. Kap is blossoming under this scheme.

Great game by Roman.


Ah ha, I was waiting for someone to trot out the stats and say, see, we actualyl know what we're doing because Kap rolled up more than 400 yards passing.

So, You have to start by realizing Green Bay has a mediocre defense. We will never get a gift like this playing Seattle, Atlanta.

And forget the pass.

Our run game was horribly stuffed for 50 minutes of this game. Ghaaa! We' do nothing but line up freakishly gadgetized formations that are supposed to mystically blow out D run schemes and THEY PRODUCED NOTHING TODAY! Why go through so much effort to fail so miserably? It makes it worse.

I don't want to take away from some good execution by Kap, Boldin, but our scheme really handicapped us today. Period. We are going nowhere if we don't learn some lessons from this. Sorry, but it's true.

True the run game wasn't working, but I think a big reason why we had a big day passing was because GB overcompensated against the run. We had to stick with it, its a key part of the gameplan. We can't become one-dimensional.

Football is a collective effort. Obviously Kap was brilliant and made some outstanding individual plays. But Roman's playcalling also opened up plenty of downfield opportunities for Boldin and Davis. If we don't stick with the run, teams will start dropping more into coverage.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 8, 2013 at 7:23 PM ]
  • Antix
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5,093
I doubt we do all the motioning and stuff next week. It obviously be a bad thing to do in Seattle. I agree the motioning and stuff is stupid but I'm hoping its not an every week thing. We'll definitely lose if we do it next week.
Originally posted by Antix:
I doubt we do all the motioning and stuff next week. It obviously be a bad thing to do in Seattle. I agree the motioning and stuff is stupid but I'm hoping its not an every week thing. We'll definitely lose if we do it next week.

Hopefully they learned their lesson after last year's beatdown.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
True the run game wasn't working, but I think a big reason why we had a big day passing was because GB overcompensated against the run. We had to stick with it, its a key part of the gameplan. We can't become one-dimensional.

Football is a collective effort. Obviously Kap was brilliant and made some outstanding individual plays. But Roman's playcalling also opened up plenty of downfield opportunities for Boldin and Davis.


It absolutely did not. They did not scheme their way open. They didn't do anything special or cute, the line blocked amazing and gave Kap a lot of time.

Usually, if the play calling is amazing, we would see great rushing, and the ball spread around to everyone. It was the opposite of that, which indicates the individual efforts of the players themselves are the reason they put up the numbers.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Because I don't understand why we look SO different from last year. We ran a ton of running plays up the gut last year. Regular running plays. We're doing a lot of delayed read-option fakes and other stuff I've never seen. I don't know where else it could be coming from. It's just so bizarre.

There are similarities, but the differences are startling. With all the talking and clapping and running around before the snap, we can barely even get the play off in time, and worse yet, when we do, we get slammed with a negative play.

If Kap wasn't Super Man today, it would have been UGLY.

Agree to an extent. I don't think we that different from last year, especially since Kap became the starter. But we do need to go back to some more conventional run calls.

I think they were hoping Matthews would overpursue Kap like Suggs did in the SB, and Gore would get 10 yards a pop. Matthews played it VERY well, and we got stuffed. Stretch runs were not effective either except for one by Kendall. I want to see some more power runs, heavy tight bunch formations, FB lead blocking DOWNHILL. I think Gore is at his best like that.