LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

Greg Roman - Two-year contract extension

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cciowa:
yes, screen plays to james and hunter,,, please find a way to put the ball into the hands of your playmakers and play to their strengths

Seems like a no-brainer to me because you just know they're coming to get Kaepernick this season. That will have to be a featured part of every opposing team's game plan - get to Kaepernick, disrupt him, hit him. The screen is a wonderful way to make that kind of approach look very silly.
[ Edited by GNielsen on Jun 19, 2013 at 4:42 PM ]
Great news. Continuity is the most underrated element in sports. Look forward to watching the offense continue to grow.
Great. I don't think Roman will keep the game plan stuck in last year's game plan. We will see some new stuff this year.
This makes total sense.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by cciowa:
yes, screen plays to james and hunter,,, please find a way to put the ball into the hands of your playmakers and play to their strengths

Seems like a no-brainer to me because you just know they're coming to get Kaepernick this season. That will have to be a featured part of every opposing team's game plan - get to Kaepernick, disrupt him, hit him. The screen is a wonderful way to make that kind of approach look very silly.

I have a theory on this lack of screen plays from the Niners. Purpose of running a screen is usually to draw the pass rusher to go after the qb, then getting the ball to the RB behind the rushers. It plays on the aggressiveness of the defense. If we're mostly a passing team, the screen would work with our tendency to pass the ball. But we are a running team. Defense has to be mindful of our running plays, so they tend to stay back and be more discipline against us. Less effective.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jun 19, 2013 at 7:51 PM ]
Originally posted by Disp:
How exactly do coach contracts work compared to players? It seems like coaches can jump ship at any time if they get an upgrade opportunity, unless Harbaugh/Baalke block them from interviewing with another team.

Assistant coach contracts prevent the coach from taking another job without the team's approval, with one exception specified in the contract: an assistant coach may take a job as another team's head coach at any time. This is what happened with Norv Turner after he signed an extension with the 49ers; he was offered the head coaching job at San Diego.

So Roman can still leave the team for a head coaching position, but the contract extension still serves as recognition for a job well done!
  • buck
  • Veteran
"Under Roman, who arrived with coach Jim Harbaugh before the 2011 season, the team has set franchise records for offense while setting an NFL standard for creativity within the running game especially."

"Former quarterback Alex Smith set a single-game NFL record for completion percentage (minimum 15 attempts) by connecting on 18 of 19 passes against Arizona last season.

The 49ers set a franchise record with 621 total yards against Buffalo, becoming the first team in NFL history to amass 300 yards passing and 300 yards rushing in the same game.

Roman's 49ers also set a franchise playoff record with 579 yards against Green Bay last season."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest
Buys us more time to groom our future OC ....once we smash everyone this season , lot of teams will come calling for greg , hoping some of our mojo rubs off on their franchise
  • buck
  • Veteran
Does anyone know the number of screen passes that Roman has called in the last two years?

I searched the internet, but could not find any numbers.

My memory is not very good, but it seems that the team has run at most five screens a year.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Does anyone know the number of screen passes that Roman has called in the last two years?

I searched the internet, but could not find any numbers.

My memory is not very good, but it seems that the team has run at most five screens a year.
he does a terrible job of playing to the strength of the team, especially at crunch time in my opinion.. he likes to get cute and "innovative". lets hope he can play to what ck does well and lets hope he learned lessons from last years failures at key times in key games.
Couldn't a team sign him next offseason as their head coach despite being under contract?
this is awesome. great news! justin smith and roman extended in the same week...
Originally posted by buck:
"Under Roman, who arrived with coach Jim Harbaugh before the 2011 season, the team has set franchise records for offense while setting an NFL standard for creativity within the running game especially."

"Former quarterback Alex Smith set a single-game NFL record for completion percentage (minimum 15 attempts) by connecting on 18 of 19 passes against Arizona last season.

The 49ers set a franchise record with 621 total yards against Buffalo, becoming the first team in NFL history to amass 300 yards passing and 300 yards rushing in the same game.

Roman's 49ers also set a franchise playoff record with 579 yards against Green Bay last season."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest

Yet some people still don't like Roman.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I have a theory on this lack of screen plays from the Niners. Purpose of running a screen is usually to draw the pass rusher to go after the qb, then getting the ball to the RB behind the rushers. It plays on the aggressiveness of the defense. If we're mostly a passing team, the screen would work with our tendency to pass the ball. But we are a running team. Defense has to be mindful of our running plays, so they tend to stay back and be more discipline against us. Less effective.

Very good point. But, they may be passing a little more this season and when they start passing, possibly they'll set up those defenses to be fooled - certainly in 3rd and long type situations. We'll see.
Share 49ersWebzone