There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Greg Roman - Two-year contract extension

I think this is great news. Some of us need reminding that G-Ro is a 1st time coordinator at this level and he's only going to get better! I'd be curious to hear more from those not thrilled about this news. Who would you possibly get as OC that would be better? Who would come in and be as innovative as him with the running game? I think 49ers fans are spoiled and always have been. We have two of the best coordinators in the league and I don't have to look real far on this forum to find someone complaining about them.
Originally posted by cciowa:
they should have waited to see if he could actually call three good games in a row before they did this. I guess I have to take the bad news here along with the good news about justin. It keeps the universe on a even keel

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
fails on 1st and goal in the super bowl and gets an extension. UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE.

you are preaching to the choir. i guess there is hope for us in the world when this stuff happens
fails on 1st and goal in the super bowl and gets an extension. UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE.

you are preaching to the choir. i guess there is hope for us in the world when this stuff happens

Who you brining in that's better? Roman's a good OC. Even the best OC's get out coached now and again. The league's coaches are all talented and are going to get the best of you once in a while. Do you not remember what its like having coordinators that have no idea how to game plan? Don't just sit here and complain as if you're smarter than the organization. Give us some replacement ideas.
How about NE's coordinators last season. Their offense and the great Tom Brady could only muster 3 points in the first half against the 49ers. Does that mean their OC is garbage and should be replaced? My point being every coach in NE was outcoached that game. Yes NE came back but you're fooling yourself if you don't think SF let off the gas. The obvious switch from man to zone on defense and back to man at the end of the game gives that away to even the casual observer. Roman is a good coach and an innovative one at that when it comes to the run game. He's only going to get better guys. Ease up on the hate around here.
[ Edited by NinerG94 on Jun 19, 2013 at 3:29 PM ]
we locked up norv before he left too, just saying lol. good move none the less
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Originally posted by verb1der:
The Roman Offense remains!

um greek, not roman

lol, close enough....but I will still flush myself

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I don't see how any Niner fan can construe this as a bad thing...last year the offense surged ahead of the defense. Understand the disappointment WRT the SB, but Roman's a key figure to get back to The Dance and win it. Having Kap for a full season should result in an even better offense, one that's good enough to win it all.

that was mostly due to Kap's god given talent and nothing to do with play calling.

WOW Sus. I really hope you are joking.

Kaep is very often throwing to receivers that are WIDE OPEN. People think of Kaep as a "one-read" guy because most often his first read is open...IE he doesn't often NEED to move to his second read.

Roman and Harbaugh made Alex Smith worthy of a trade for potentially 2 #2 picks.

DO you honestly beleive that Romans playcalling played no part in Kaeps success?
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jun 19, 2013 at 3:56 PM ]
Im thinking his entry level salary was low - they hired mangini as a consultant at near the same pay and so they needed to adjust Romans $ for 2 reasons: to make sure he was making more $ than the consultant AND to assure him the extension so that he didnt feel like Mangini was waiting to take his spot?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerG94:

Who you brining in that's better? Roman's a good OC. Even the best OC's get out coached now and again. The league's coaches are all talented and are going to get the best of you once in a while. Do you not remember what its like having coordinators that have no idea how to game plan? Don't just sit here and complain as if you're smarter than the organization. Give us some replacement ideas.
I just happen to think he does not do a good job of using the weapons and people he has to their or the teams advantage. I think he gets to cute in certain situations, I think he reads to many headlines of himself as being some sort of innovative genius, I think he is a big share of the problem we had getting play calls in on time and I just happen to think when you have first and goal from the 7 behind the best running game and best run blocking line in the nfl,,,, and even after little james got two yards against a run stop defense you need to give them the chance to win. I think I have the right to voice my concerns about him without having to come up with a list of candidates who would do better
I'm just looking forward to seeing some of these "new wrinkles" he's been talking about. I'd like to see some screens. I'd like to see more bunch formations on the outside to help free wideouts from being mugged by those Seahawk thugs at corner. I'd like to see some misdirection and picks designed to get LaMichael James in space so he can juke linebackers out of their shoes. I love the multi-formation running - it's great. But, I want some razzle-dazzle to go along with it.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I'm just looking forward to seeing some of these "new wrinkles" he's been talking about. I'd like to see some screens. I'd like to see more bunch formations on the outside to help free wideouts from being mugged by those Seahawk thugs at corner. I'd like to see some misdirection and picks designed to get LaMichael James in space so he can juke linebackers out of their shoes. I love the multi-formation running - it's great. But, I want some razzle-dazzle to go along with it.
yes, screen plays to james and hunter,,, please find a way to put the ball into the hands of your playmakers and play to their strengths
Originally posted by d49izme:
Im thinking his entry level salary was low - they hired mangini as a consultant at near the same pay and so they needed to adjust Romans $ for 2 reasons: to make sure he was making more $ than the consultant AND to assure him the extension so that he didnt feel like Mangini was waiting to take his spot?

Mangini's consultative role to the offense stems from his expertise on defenses....this translates to his position being more of a possible "heir apparent" to Fangio than Roman